• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Everybody should have at least 1....

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    ....beater rifle. Below are pics of the Swedish Mauser I got today. I had a crappy shotgun which I didn't want so I traded it for a crappy rifle that I really like. The rifle came with a beat up Bushnell Banner 10x that I replaced with the scope that is mounted on it in the pics. The gun is definitely a bubba special. I don't know much about these off the top of my head. I bought because I'd rather have a rifle than a shotgun and I figured this would be fun to mess around with. Plan A is to leave the scope mounts on there and find a vaguely European scope for it. Plan B is an Accumounts side mount. Plan C is Lyman target sights. In any event, I am going to take it to a local smith and have the barrel trimmed, re-crowned and cerakoted black. I also feel that plan B is going to happen sometime, especially if by some miracle the damn thing is accurate. It is definitely a 5 foot rifle. It only looks good from 5 feet away!

It won't take a miracle for that rifle to be accurate. Mine shoots 1/2 MOA groups with irons and that's not uncommon for an M96. Take it out and play with it for a while before you go "fixing" anything. You may decide that you like it just the way it is. Also, if the threaded muzzle bothers you, there are muzzle caps and flash suppressors available for them.

It won't take a miracle for that rifle to be accurate. Mine shoots 1/2 MOA groups with irons and that's not uncommon for an M96. Take it out and play with it for a while before you go "fixing" anything. You may decide that you like it just the way it is. Also, if the threaded muzzle bothers you, there are muzzle caps and flash suppressors available for them.

I don't mind the threads but whoever did the work did a horrible job milling off the front sight. Also, with the low power scope, you can see that the mounts are off center. Looking through the scope, you can see the barrel pointing off to the left, even with the windage maxed out. Eventually, it will need a new mounting arrangement.

Ah, I see what you mean.

For the scope/rings, I wonder if it's not just the style of rings they used (adjusts the scope through the rear ring) that's pointing it off, or if it was drilled/tapped off center. I'll be curious to see what you find out. It's a shame what some people do to nice pieces, but hopefully you can make some good of it.

Ah, I see what you mean.

For the scope/rings, I wonder if it's not just the style of rings they used (adjusts the scope through the rear ring) that's pointing it off, or if it was drilled/tapped off center. I'll be curious to see what you find out. It's a shame what some people do to nice pieces, but hopefully you can make some good of it.

The scope in the pictures is the one I put in there. The rifle came with a beat up old Bushnell 10x40mmAO. I took the mounts off the rifle to clean and inspect them. What I found was that the mounts were very poorly machined to fit. The holes for the mounts are also visibly misaligned. I'm not really in the positing right now to do much with this rifle. I just wanted something other than a shotgun and the LGS had this in stock. I probably would have bought this instead of the shotgun but they didn't have it at the time I bought the shotgun. I know it's not original but I was also considering taking it to a gunsmith and having it fitted with the bases for the Leatherwood Wm. Malcolm 6x short scope. It'd be a fun plinker and cost a little less than the Accumounts setup.