• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Everyday Sniper Podcast: Knowledge Bomb Edition: Rise of the Valkyrie

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

Posted for your pleasure :()

Posted for your pleasure :()
    Hope that last parts in reference to my lotion and Kleenex joke lol

So as far as mags go. I've got the primal rights 6br mag kit, adjust feed lips etc...

But here's the real kicker...
    20220421_121920.jpg

The little plastic block that comes in the bottom of the accurate mags is a life saver and keeps the spring centered. I had to hack it down but it's amazing what it'll do for those "double feeds". Any bit of cant on that follower really seems to screw you.
    20220421_122019.jpg

My commute is only 3 minutes... I'm sure I'll be coming back and commenting the further I get through this one. I love me some Valk!

received_1607541142954309.jpeg

Tbac dominus makes this thing perfect for the whole family.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Frank, I just listened to this in the car and it was great. Really enjoyed the content and you have a true knack for the medium too.

Reactions: Lowlight
    Love the Valkyrie, been shooting it in a bolt gun since shortly after it’s release. For economic long range shooting and training it’s a phenomenal cartridge. I shoot the 88’s at about 2820, due to availability and cost of projectile. I haven’t seen any brass in a while and Starline quit taking backorders recently. I hope manufacturers haven’t totally given up on it.

Reactions: acudaowner
    Ya there are viable magazine options for clones,

it's the double-stack AI / AX MAGS that are the issue, getting them lock up

My Bighorn Valkyrie in an AX Chassis runs flawlessly, it's my AX that needs a magazine

It's hard to say,

I think a 22 is viable in several forms, so going valkyrie is not the only game in town

I honestly don't know what they will do, mainly because of the shortages we have already, why would they waste the time. To me restocking 224V would be the last thing i worry about

There is plenty of 224V 75gr stuff running around, and if you reload it definitely worth it. I grabbed 4000 rounds of ammo, so for me, I am covered for my needs.

I’ve got plenty of 224V brass but I saw this today for those of you who don’t reload:

I’m fascinated by the idea of making Mexican Match with this stuff. I’ve actually got a case of it I got in a trade a couple of years ago and never shot any of it. Maybe pull this down and top it some old 75gr AMAX bullets or the newer 75gr ELDMs…

Although I’m still working on load development with my 224V bolt gun, 90VLDs are showing good results.

I’m glad you did this podcast and I hope it brings a little more attention to the cartridge. If I could still get cheap federal brass (either virgin or by shooting 75tmj’s) I probably wouldn’t have gone back to my 6CM. The lack of heat and distortion off the suppressor alone is reason enough to stay with the Valkyrie.

Take advice from the boss man and enjoy your shooting. It may not be the lastest 6 mm PRS craze, but I have plenty of guns that make me giggle. I love bring out the ol M1--thing is a hammer and just fun to shoot. My son literally gets a stiffy with his enfield.

I was talking with Chris Way today about 22GT stuff, and the velocity guys are getting with that.

I definitely think you can do 2950 to 3000fps with the 90s using a Valkyrie, just have to get on board with a quicker powder.

So that will be the next step, I'm not a reloader per se, but I can and will experiment with it to hit on something that will work, as I think we can hit on a 2950 number that will be all right while keeping the primer pockets nice

Reactions: TNSleeper99
    I was talking with Chris Way today about 22GT stuff, and the velocity guys are getting with that.

I definitely think you can do 2950 to 3000fps with the 90s using a Valkyrie, just have to get on board with a quicker powder.

So that will be the next step, I'm not a reloader per se, but I can and will experiment with it to hit on something that will work, as I think we can hit on a 2950 number that will be all right while keeping the primer pockets nice
    I’m on board for this one. Can’t wait to see what you guys can do. I had trouble getting up near 2900 with 88’s in my bolt gun without signs of pressure.

The usual stuff, h4895 and cfe223. The cfe gave better velocities, but it was pretty temp sensitive. Could possibly do a warm weather load and a cold weather load.

I'm not seeing that happening but if it could then it'd be a game changer. I'm shooting a 26" barrel and speeds like that have always been out of my reach. I think the lighter faster thing has a lot of merrit but (at least in my gun) the Valk seems to like the slower speeds. I'd be happy going heavier and getting the same speeds though.

What powders were you thinking?

I had a bolt gun put together a while back and was able to score on a bunch of the hornady match 88gr. It's been fine for getting my son (10 at the time) going on shooting w dad. We saved a pile of brass and are now in the middle of getting it ready to reload. I have a ton of varget, may not be hot/fast enough for the pile of 88s and 90vlds, but if I can get over 2800 I'll be ecstatic.
    I also have a seekins AR in the Valk, and that 88gr stuff is money in that rifle. Had big intentions of being the spray n pray guy at a cd match, but life etc...

I don’t have a clue because I’ve never tried this before; this experiment is all your fault.

I’ll be shooting on Quantico Range 4 this Sunday and I figured I’d chrono it and then give it a try at 1000 yards. It’ll either be awesome, or not, at 1K.

Edited to add:
    85.5 Berger Hybrid Target
    COAL: 2.427
    CBTO: 1.877
    .015 off lands

A5E6A583-2CD9-4C41-A502-4943C88361BE.jpeg

Left 85.5 Berger Right 90SMK

I’ve been running 90VLDs over RL17 @ 2775 with my 224V bolt gun during load development but I haven’t taken it past 100….

Last edited:
    Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Making Berger 85.5 Hybrid Target ammunition out of Federal 90SMK ammunition…..

View attachment 7858104
    That's a pretty cool idea. Are you worried at all about neck tension after pulling the factory loaded pill out? I guess it would be easy enough to hit it w a neck bushing if a guy was really concerned about it

Nice !!!

Well definitely keep us informed I am excited to see your results and plan to do some of my own

So I made it to Range 4 this morning and was pleasantly surprised the “Mexican Match” w/ 85.5 shot as well as it did at 1K…

It was a perfectly overcast day (55F) with a DA of 340 and negligible wind from 11:00.

Over a series of 18 shots (my LabRadar trigger shit the bed on shot 19) the 85.5 Bergers ran an average of 2757 FPS with an ES of 26 and an SD of 14.8: not bad for bullets reseated in factory loaded cases with no prep and inconsistent neck tension.
    I kinda’ thought they’d be faster..,

I was shooting and 25x15 IPSIC: elevation was 9.5M (32.5 MOA) and I held left edge for windage.

I had a bunch of other ammo that I’m still doing load development with. I won’t go into all the details but Hornady 90gr ATIPs and 95 SMKs did really well over RL17 in Starline cases….

8A752A5D-636E-456C-B298-74D35F36961E.jpeg

Last edited:
    Nice,

ya those numbers are bit slow,

I think we can crowd share the details as we work to get 2900-2950fps from 80s on up.

we have a wide variety of powder people are using, I think finding a quick easy load won’t be too hard

make a bolt gun registry of loads

Reactions: VSP968
    As far as the Mexican Match part of the experiment goes, I think the 85.5 Berger Hybrids reseated in the loaded Fed 90gr ammo is a success, despite the semi-anemic numbers.

I’m running a 26” 6.5 twist Krieger medium palma chambered w/ .110 freebore. The 90ATIPs (2760) and 95SMKs (2700) ran really well yesterday.

@padom has a long thread someplace with 224 Valkyrie load data embedded within it.

Ya there are viable magazine options for clones,

it's the double-stack AI / AX MAGS that are the issue, getting them lock up

My Bighorn Valkyrie in an AX Chassis runs flawlessly, it's my AX that needs a magazine
    So which mag are you running with the Bighorn?

So which mag are you running with the Bighorn?
    Don’t want to answer for Frank, but I have no issue with accurate mags or mdt mags with the primal rights kits and modified feed lips in both a MPA and MDT chassis rifle with a bighorn TL3.

Reactions: Diverhunter
    I use the MDT,

I have the plastic 224V that I used in my Bighorn, the 223s work, the 6BR,

In my AX I am using a modified MDT 6ARC Mag, I ever so lightly trimmed the feed lips and took a little off the plastic insert. It's not perfect and I need to trim a bit more as the bolt will drop the mag every so often

The AX is accurate, works, but does not feed well, the Bighorn is flawless

Reactions: Diverhunter
    1651886152585.jpeg

This is a stiff load. While it performs, it will be hell on brass, not to mention temp sensitivity.

I like group 2 better for the A- Tips

The final group is 80.5 Berger with MR2000. Sweet shooting load at 2900+. Will be shooting the 80.5 this weekend out to 1000+. Will post data on performance following. If not up to satisfaction, then will persue 90 A-Tip and Sierra 90 BTHP.

Attachments

• 81DF7E3D-D349-43F3-9DBA-43BB5A8911C2.jpeg
      81DF7E3D-D349-43F3-9DBA-43BB5A8911C2.jpeg
      436.3 KB · Views: 76
    • 8F9C5FD3-65D5-40BB-8F88-A0D32455DB7C.jpeg
      8F9C5FD3-65D5-40BB-8F88-A0D32455DB7C.jpeg
      629.2 KB · Views: 79
    Reactions: mahlv and VSP968
    Nice I love 2000MR

Brass is easy, buy the $8 a box stuff 😜

i doped the Bighorn with the 90s today, the Seconds I bought. Good numbers, 8.2 to 1000, had weird switch headwinds today but most shots were straight down or just a favor as it drifted.

Shot well, probably gonna use it at Pawnee tomorrow for the comp, see how it feels in match.

Shot the local match with the Federal 90s and everything worked out well top 15,

I had to swap chassis after, that was the limiting factor for me, the AX Chassis I had it in was not very Comp friendly so I moved it after,

But the round worked well, I definitely lost a point or point or two with some far impacts, the range uses some bigger older plates and the pipsqueak of the round couldn't affect them. There were 22GTs in the crowd pushing 90s over 3100fps so I think a velocity fix will help a lot.

Even still with the few dropped points, the results were excellent. I think my wind was good, and for sure the caliber has merit it just needs to be adjusted, like a 2900fps minimum to view vs 2750fps average I think that change will be enough

But we will see I will play more

I'll be running 88s at 2750fps at the colorado springs match on Saturday. I think they have T1000's on all their targets though. I'll report back but after this match I'll try playing with some weird combos to see about bumping the speed up.

I didn't set all the lights off,

We had some T1000, but for sure, on the extended plates I didn't set all of them off, especially on big ones far away

We went by sound a few times, in between everyone else shooting, we could hear the hit and not see anything in terms of a splash on the plate or off, and nothing moved but you could hear it.

For me it's not a big deal, I don't even have my name on the score sheet, so I don't care about points. But at the same time if you are losing points it's not a good thing to chase. I think it's definitely viable, but needs an adjustment

Also, our target go out to 1475, so it was only on the 900+ targets it happened, and not all some were fine. The 900 to 1150 stage had the targets with the least response, those were big squares so who knows

Did a saterlee test with 90gr berger vlds and varget. Used some 1x fired hornady brass and another battery of tests with new federal brass. Popped a primer on my 26.2gr load in the fed brass, got just over 2900fps on that one. Seemed to be a flat spot around 2840fps and a grain less powder so I loaded up 20 to go see what they do at distance. Ofcourse it's windy af, 6-18 mph from 4oclock, but had nice vert dispersion, actually had 2 touching at 700yds. Out of the 20, I lost 4 primers though. Is the federal brass considered shittier than hornady, which I gather is shittier than starline? I gotta clean up some more hornady and try it since I have more.

I bought 500 pieces of the Hornady stuff a couple of years ago when it was still widely available. The loaded Hornady 88gr ammo I bought had crimped primer pockets so I never bothered with it but I didn’t throw it away, either.

Never bought any new Federal, only loaded stuff when it was cheap that I shot and reloaded.

The primer pockets on the Federal and Hornady 224V brass I’ve used seem to give up after the second firing.

Last year a couple of different vendors were dumping 250 round bags of Starline and I snatched up a bunch.

Although it has less case capacity, I’ve got 50 pieces of this brass that I’ve been testing. It’s on the fourth firing and the primer pockets seem to be holding up pretty well with some pretty stiff loads.

Edited to add:
    @JM4590 did you get a chance to test your loads @ 1K over the weekend? It was a washout here in Northern Virginia….

Last edited:
    Reactions: mahlv
    Planning to run the 80.5s this Sunday out to 1000. Will report back if it takes place. Seems like ole Mother Nature likes to stick it to us here in Va as they are calling for rain once again. If the shoot takes place, I will attend.

Reactions: VSP968
    @lowlight hit on one of the biggest struggles I had with shooting the Valkyrie in PRS/NRL style matches over the last few years, and the primary reason I switched back to 6mm’s.

I shot mostly 88grn projectiles in the low 2800’s. The range that I have shot the most has a pretty standardized long range prone stage at every match. At 800 and 900 are 66% IPSC and at 1000, 1100, 1200 they have full size IPSC with flashers. When you get to 1000 it’s extremely difficult to see target impacts but the flasher usually picks it up. At 1100 and 1200 you’re almost forfeiting those points because it’s likely even the spotter won’t see any indication of target impact unless they are experienced and have good glass, and there isn’t enough movement of the full size IPSC to trigger the flasher.

The reality is that you are likely going to give up some points on the longer range stages. If the benefits of shooting a Valkyrie outweighs those points for you then it is such a fun and economical round to shoot, I still love it. My current set up is to train almost exclusively with a suppressed Valkyrie, then I just swap barrels a few days before a match and shoot a 6CM with a good muzzle brake. Send 3 of my 105 handloads down the barrel to re-zero, and put the Valkyrie barrel back on Monday or Tuesday.

Reactions: Jackomason
    My first rifle in 224V was the Uintah Precision bolt action upper for the AR-15. For the price it wasn't bad but kept having problems with feeding from the magazine. The 88 ELDs were especially problematic.

Regardless, I felt the 224V had a lot of potential. At the time, the cost was very attractive. I could purchase the factory Hornady 88 ELD ammo cheaper than Federal GMM 77 SMK. Within a few short months, I purchased over 7,000 rounds of that ammo and haven't regretted it.

Like @lowlight, I had a bolt action built around the Origin action with Krieger barrel 1:6.5 twist with a TriggerTech trigger in a KRG chassis. The MDT magazines work flawlessly.

IMG-2786.jpg
    IMG-2787.jpg

I also got a Rock River upper in 224V that really shines with the Federal GMM 80.5 Bergers. Center rifle below.

IMG_2746.jpg

The only big problem with that round is the shooter really has to have a good wind estimation. Even with the higher B/C of the heavier bullets, the winds beyond about 800 yards can cause havoc with one's ability to hit the target.

That's true of any rifle cartridge but more critical with the 224V due to the lighter bullet compared to the 6.5 caliber rounds.

@lowlight do you have anymore information on the factory seconds of the Federal rounds that you discussed in the podcast? Unless I missed something, your discussion left off at about 600 yards with that ammunition.

I'm curious to know how it performed at longer ranges. Thanks.

AR with McGowen 26” 1:6 twist upper

Shot some mexican match (75g FMJ) loading (10) of 77 OTM and (10) 80g SMK.

77g OTM- CBTO - 1.747”
    2902 (SD 6.5, ES 15)

80 SMK - CBtO - 1.747”
    2889 (SD 5.5, ES 11)

Last edited:
    We had guys shooting 22GT at the Pawnee match and I don't think they had issues with setting off the lights

They are running 3100+ with the 90s and got about 3100 rounds through the barrel so there is that information

Varget seems to be the minimum, I think you need to find other powders to get the speeds over 2900fps with no pressure signs

Reactions: mahlv and VSP968