• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Evolution of equipment (or how to waste tons of $)

Fletcher/AAC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
ATL
I thought that I would share what I have learned about what works for me and what doesn't when it comes to precision rifle systems.

My first rifle was a snipers hide build by what was at the time Patriot Arms. I knew nothing about what I wanted, or how its features worked, and just asked for what I saw everyone recommend.

IMG_3237copy.jpg

It featured:
McMillan A5 with a McMillan thumbscrew cheekpiece and a 'sniper' fill
22" Broughton .308 5c barrel with 1-10 twist in a #7 profile firing the 175 SMK at 2700 FPS
Surgeon 591
Seeking rings
USO SN-3 3-17 ergo with MOA reticle and adjustments and illumination
AAC 762-SD 
Harris swivel bipod
Jewel trigger

It was exceptionally accurate (.25MOA) and a great learning tool. I took it out to South Dakota and ran 2,000 rounds through it in a week of prairie dog hunting.

In that week I learned that I did not care for the buttstock of the A5, as I had trouble getting it to ride bags the way that I wanted. I also disliked the cheekpiece adjustment as it was hard to put it back in the exact location every time and would work loose after a bit of shooting.

The scope worked fine, but I did not like having to break my cheek weld to adjust the objective parallax.

The silencer was the biggest frustration as it was an older (pre-circumference welded) 18 tooth design. It would loosen after each shot or two and the accuracy when loose was around 5moa with a 12moa shift.

After shooting the rifle for a total of 5,000 rounds, I decided to send it off to GAP to have it fitted with a Manners T2a, and to have the barrel retreaded to accept a Surefire 762k mount. I also got a Schmidt Bender USMC scope at the same time.

229.jpg

The stock was great, it rode the bags exactly as I wanted, the cheekpiece was a work of art, returned to zero every time and stayed there. It also was a little lighter.

The scope was also a welcomed improvement. It weighed substantially less, had better ergonomics, and I grew to like the Mil system better as it allowed me more features to use with a mildot master for tac competitions where we ranged with the reticle.

The silencer was a large disappointment. I fired less than 5 rounds through it and determined that the sound reduction was just not good enough as it rang my ears on a 22 inch barrel. I had my 762-SD refurbished to 2007 spec and ran it.

I used this setup for another 2-3,000 rounds before I felt the need to get a new barrel. With the hard firing schedules I put it through I felt like 8,000 rounds was a lot for the barrel to take.

During this time I also found that I wanted to have a bit more magnification and I did not care for the MTC knobs of the scope, so I went to a 4-16x42 Schmidt and Bender. I liked the single turn knob and the P4 reticle much better than the USMC scope, however the tunneling of the Schmidt line at low power had me wanting a better low end FOV.

SunFeb07202808AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

I eventually ditched the Schmidt and went with the new F1. The new F1 MLR reticle had basically the same features as the P4, but also had no tunneling and was a bit lighter than the Schmidt as I had become more weight conscious with my rifle accessories.

2010-05-07232820.jpg

Since I had been shooting more competitions and hunting with the rifle, I became acutely aware that I had set the rifle up to be the perfect prone static position rifle, but that was not how I was using it. It was a beast to shoot in other positions and offhand.

Most of the issues I had were with the weight of the barrel. I learned that while the weight itself when carrying the rifle was not all that bad, when deploying it in offhand or awkward positions it would be unbearable and a hindrance.

Also, the stock for-end, while great for riding bags, was just too big for sling shooting (I have smaller hands).

Since I knew that the stock and barrel would be replaced, I started to examine all of my accessories. The goal of the new rifle would be to do a little bit of everything well, but that meant compromise on some of the things that it did excellent.

Since the largest problem I had was the balance and weight of the system I first began to look at the barrel forward.

I determined that a much shorter barrel would be necessary and decided on 18" as the length. Since I still hunted with it I wanted to retain more energy at range, so I looked into other calibers. I decided that the 7-08 firing the 162 AMAX would be about perfect if I could get it above 2600fps. To further save weight I decided to go with a Remington Varmint contour barrel and to DEEPLY spiral flute the barrel to save even more weight.

I would have gone smaller in contour, but I also decided that I would move away from QD silencers and go with a thread on unit, so I needed the shoulder size to be large. One thing that most people don't consider when selecting silencers is the weight of the mount itself. I selected the Cyclone-k silencer due to it being steel and a simple and accurate thread on mount that would eliminate any issues with a mount. Since it only weighs 3oz. more than a typical titanium silencer, I went with it for durability on the short barrel.

For the stock I chose the A1-3 for the forend that would ride bags and sling shoot well and for the higher comb and more traditional grip. I went with standard fill as I wanted a little more weight in the rear to create better balance, an edge stock would save more weight but make the balance worse.

I replaced to Badger DBM with a Surgeon unit because I liked the mag fence for leaning into a barricade instead of applying pressure to the magazine itself.

The biggest change for me was the move to a 2.5-10x32 mil/mil NXS. I made the move purely to save weight. The lack of a FFP reticle has not been much of an issue so far, but I have to constantly remember not to use the reticle for hold offs on low power, this almost resulted in a gutshot deer this season that was moving across a field at a trot. The lack of parallax adjustment had me concerned at first, but the eye box is so small that your head has to be exactly right to get a full FOV, so I have found that I stay pretty consistent at range despite to fixed parallax. I would say my biggest complaint with the scope is its light gathering ability, which is pretty poor compared to my previous scopes.

I decided to give the build to RW Snyder as he had a good reputation and was willing to do the work in a short time frame. He did not disappoint. I was able to get the AMAX to 2700fps which blew away my load for my .308 which pushed the 175SMK at the same speed. All in all I think that I am finally at the point with the system that I do not want to change anything about it. While it won't out group a full blown f-class rig, it will do everything that I need it to do exceptionally well, from target shooting in the prone, to hunting, to competitions, I finally have my one 'do-it-all' rifle. The only thing that has not changed is the trigger and action, LOL.

92479002.jpg

ETA: I also need to mention two important things that I left out:
1. I no longer use a bipod, I use the small bag pictured above as it weighs less and can be carried on a belt. If I have time to shoot in the prone it takes the same amount of time to take the bag off my belt as it does to deploy the bipod legs. This makes a huge difference in the weight and balance department, while making the rifle more streamlined.
2. Target ID is no longer done with the rifle scope and is accomplished with the Zeiss LRF binos. This leads to quicker ID because of the higher resolution, larger field of view, and lighter weight of the observation tool not being connected to a rifle. It also has the bonus of not having to point a loaded rifle at everything I want to look at.

Re: Evolution of equipment (or how to waste tons of $)

Quite the write up. Good info. Pics didn't show b4 ( that's why I asked if you were still running the F1).

Love that spiral barrel. Nice custom build.

I like your end product. Looks like everything you need, and nothing you don't.

I like these sort of posts...

I'm still in "transition/debate" mode lol....

The moral of the story is to use your equipment enough to form a valid opinion. Don't buy "what everyone else is using" because most of the time they aren't using it the same way you will.

More than half the people in my office wear high heels, but that sure as fuck doesn't mean that I should.

Great write up, it is great to hear such comprehensive reality based insights. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

It's nice to get things exactly the way you want them based on your needs. I am
still very new to the discipline and am trying to figure things out. It seems like I am heading in the other direction with a heavier rifle with longer barrel and more magnification to hit small things at greater and greater distances. Different strokes. Thanks for sharing.....

Funny, I'm in the middle of transitioning too and just picked up a McMillan A1-3 and I'm using a RV contour barrel. What length is your barrel, and what's the weight of your rifle now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's nice to get things exactly the way you want them based on your needs. I am
still very new to the discipline and am trying to figure things out. It seems like I am heading in the other direction with a heavier rifle with longer barrel and <span style="font-weight: bold">more magnification to hit small things at greater and greater distances</span>. Different strokes. Thanks for sharing..... </div></div>

I have had a couple of PMs regarding why I didn't list going to a lower magnification as one of the hindrances to the compact NF. Most people think that they want all the magnification they can get on a "precision" rifle.

I find that the only thing that extra magnification adds is a larger image, but the image itself is the same. In other words, having the image become larger doesn't make you a steadier shot.

As I just mentioned above, I don't use the rifle scope for target ID.

Also, I find that follow up shots are going to happen more often than first round hits. If you are zoomed in at 20x you will be less likely to see your impact due to FOV.

If I shot a lot past 1,200 yards I would probably want a higher power scope, but I would probably run a different rifle or call for artillery.

But as you said, different strokes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, I'm in the middle of transitioning too and just picked up a McMillan A1-3 and I'm using a RV contour barrel. What length is your barrel, and what's the weight of your rifle now? </div></div>

10ish pounds as it sits in the picture. Balance point is on the magazine with or without the silencer. 18"barrel.

We need more case studies like this
smile.gif

Very interesting. I will definitely keep your points in mind when I am ready to step up to an all out build.

Fbomb,
Thanks for sharing the road to what works for you.
There are alot of us in some stage of this progression, me being one of them.
After looking at all kinds of mods and upgrades, I decided to just leave it alone, shoot it much more, get to know it better and then start modifing it.
BTW, still got that A5 sitting around?!?
wink.gif

Fbomb great post,i kinda think your way.I guide for a living in Alaska.PGS/Pat put some of my pics up on the hunting forum here.
Waggs4570 Alaska pics,check them out.I shoot long range when i'm home,but i get guy's all the time putting there scope on max power setting and using there rifle scope for a spotting scope.
As i tell my cilents you will have plenty of time to turn the scope power up.But you won't have time to turn it down when you bump a sheep at 60yds in a drainage or worst a Brown bear at 10yds.I try to tell cilents once you get those little groups off a bench.Using a rear bag and front rest.Shoot prone using your pack,shoot kneeling ,shoot standing.Learn to shoot off hand.Because there are times that will be your only shot.If you check out the pics,that Brown bear was 9'5" we started shooting at 30' my last shot was 14' my scope was set on 1.5xpower.We hit him 5 times with 375 H&H.My cilent said he wished he's scope was less power also,he just saw fur.I have a few rifles pushing the 14 lbs there tack driver's .2 or .3 at 100yds. But i know when your sheep hunting a climbing and hiking Anywhere from 2 miles to 15 miles in a singal day with a 30 plus lbs with spotting scope and gear.An when that shot of a life time comes you need to be ready.A small front bag is a great idea to rest your forearm on, if not your pack or a jacket even,We all seem to get caught up with the newest greatest whiz bag stuff.Again great post there sir.Thank's waggs

great post, great advice and awesome story.

How happy are you with the 7mm-08 vs the .308? I am planning on switching when I rebarrel.

Thanks for the post, great honesty, detail and insight.

Fbomb, Great thread! Nice to see the long-term progression of a rifle errr... Maybe "progression of an action" would be more appropriate. lol Hopefully I will be able to save up enough pennies to get as nice of a rifle as you have there!

I'll have to look back and see what pics I can find of my .308. It started as a 700VS back in 1993 and has had a similar growth. Went from the factory HS Precision stock into a McMillan A2 stock then HTG and has had about 4 barrels put on it. Same action though.

Went from wearing a Burris Fullfield II 6-18x to a Super Sniper 10x to Leupold 3.5-10x40 M3 to a USO SN-3 and has worn a NF F1, Premier Heritage 3-15 and 5-25, Vortex Razor, S&B 3-12x and 4-16x and now a S&B 5-25x, which won't be going anywhere. Had Burris rings and base to a 20 MOA which I forgot who made to a IBA one piece to the Badger 20 MOA base and Seekins rings.

It's had factory bottom metal to steel hinged to Badger DBM back around 2006 when I saw the way matches were going. Also got a large bolt knob put on.

Don't see any of it as wasting money but as getting it to where I like it. Pretty much there but I can see a Manners stock in it's future. Another T3 to match the other 3 T3s I have on my other bolt guns.

Great post, I too am a big fan of the A1-3, wasn't sure if I would like it at first but now its favorite.

Great write up. I'm kinda bummed to hear about the Surefire as I just dropped the hammer on one.

pc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would say my biggest complaint with the scope is its light gathering ability, which is pretty poor compared to my previous scopes. </div></div>

I have thought long and hard about this scope, but never have had a chance to look through one. So I ask this, do you think this scope would keep you from making a shot during the beginning and end of legal hunting hours. For me that’s 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset? I imagine it would be fine in a high contrast environment like a untilled but harvested corn or wheat field but how about a dark wooded environment during this time frame.

I greatly enjoyed your post and am in a similar boat sans suppressor (working on that though). My days of rifles over 10.5 pound are numbered.

Saw this fella about an hour and a half before legal hours and could see him in the scope with a quarter moon in a swamp bottom at 75 yards (ended my deer hunt early).
1ae580fc.jpg

Shot this one offhand at maybe 20 yards after a stalk:
7bc578dd.jpg

I also shot another eight point at a full trot at 250 yards offhand, I almost pulled the trigger using a reticle lead (but remembered it was a SFP reticle at the last minute)

The glass will work in low light, but not like the 3-12 S&B, that thing was almost like a NVD.

The 162AMAX flat out works. I have never seen a bang flop on a boar over 250lbs shot in the chest (until now).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would say my biggest complaint with the scope is its light gathering ability, which is pretty poor compared to my previous scopes. </div></div>

I have thought long and hard about this scope, but never have had a chance to look through one. So I ask this, do you think this scope would keep you from making a shot during the beginning and end of legal hunting hours. For me that’s 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset? I imagine it would be fine in a high contrast environment like a untilled but harvested corn or wheat field but how about a dark wooded environment during this time frame.

I greatly enjoyed your post and am in a similar boat sans suppressor (working on that though). My days of rifles over 10.5 pound are numbered.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great write up. I'm kinda bummed to hear about the Surefire as I just dropped the hammer on one.

pc </div></div>

I think it has changed a little since it first came out. The baffle stack was weird as there were three or so baffles that were cupped facing the muzzle. I think it may have been their way of lowering back pressure for semi autos or something along those lines. The SS model was better on the meter IIRC.

Very informative !!

Is the small rifle rest bag the "Giles Accubag" ?

Great write-up. It sounds like what I have gone through and really still do. I am constantly looking to see if the "next great thing" will make me a better more comfartable shooter. Just when, I think I am happy, whammo, I think I can change things up and become better. As if I'm missing something.
I now understand no amount of equipment will take the place of getting behind the rifle and seeing what works and what doesn't. For me the biggest challenge is the inability to try something before buying it. Usually, my local shops have just the standard stuff, I mean shotguns, pistols, hunting rifles, they do not offer custom rifles wearing Manners, ax, mcmillian, sentinel stocks for me to feel. Same goes for scopes, No way in hell would they ever carry a PMII or hensoldt, or even NF for that matter. They carry hunting optics. Which leads me to buying a stock or scope based off what i read on the internet. It maybe like this for alot of folks as well.

Great write up, definately provides some food for thought for the build Im planning. Thanks for posting!

I love your post. I decided instead of changing one rifle 3-4 times, just buy 3-4 separate rifles. I could never get 1 rifle to do it all. The down side is I have spent all my money on rifles that see little use. 4 different, actions, mags, stocks etc make it hard to master any one. Good luck with current rifle, next might be a semi?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck with current rifle, next might be a semi? </div></div>

Hahahahaha, finally went back to essentially what I got paid to carry in 03-04, but similar story.

Less is more.

Picture003.jpg

mrp004.jpg

sbr3.jpg

xmas07005.jpg

shortdot001.jpg

shortdot011.jpg

32466c11.jpg

great info...I am in the stage of learning what I like as well.

Great write up.

Also appreciate hearing your thoughts on the NF Compact. I have been back and forth on it for awhile. Same fears as you posted: lack of parallax and light. I have a 50mm NF now that does everything I want, so it's hard to justify the switch. I really have to just buy one and try it out for awhile.

Curious, what rail are you running? Standard 20moa?

Good choice on the A1-3. It is a great all around stock.

This is the best down to earth thread I have read this week. I believe there is a lot of merit in the expression 'fear the man with one gun.' Simply put build a rifle to suit your needs, there will always be compromises, in the end be proficient with that ONE rifle. The only downside if you wind up changing barrels earlier since only one barrel sees action.

Man what a great write up you have done here. So many people get blinded by the tacticool marketing skeems that they forget to build a rifle that really fits their needs. This might be a stupid question, but I wondered if you had ever condisidered the Leupold Mark 4 with M2 or even the M3 dials for your rifle. I am in the same boat has you are as far as needs go. I like long range precision, but I often hunt for coyotes, wolves and mountain lions and I really need to be ready on the scope if you know what I mean. Considering that the Leupold has a larger objective did you give it any thought considering light gathering capabilties. Thanks again for a great read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This might be a stupid question, but I wondered if you had ever condisidered the Leupold Mark 4 with M2 or even the M3 dials for your rifle.</div></div>

416sd013.jpg

Tried it, but thought so little of it that I didn't even include it in the writeup. It has nothing going for it in my opinion:
Poor image resolution
MOA adjustment, Mil reticle
2nd focal plane
No zero stop
Terrible tactile feedback in the knobs
No parralax adjustment
Poor light gathering ability
Low magnification adjustment range (3-9x)

It is just my opinion, but you would be better served with just about anything else.

I would say the scope that I am most interested in at the moment is the March:
http://www.deon.co.jp/march/1x-10x24_tactical.htm

It is close to being MY perfect scope except for three things:
MOA only adjustment
2nd focal plane reticle
smallish objective

I will probably run the Nightforce until someone makes a reliable scope with the following features:
Variable
3x magnification at the most on the low range, with 10x or higher on maximum
Objective larger than 30mm
1st focal plane reticle in Milradian scale
Adjustment knobs in Milradian
Elevation zerostop
Illuminated reticle
Adjustable parralax
Weighs less than 21oz

I venture that it will be a while before I change glass as the above would be a tall order to fit in the weight package.

This thread is full of sage wisdom and brings up memories of a similar journey from a SPS-V to AAC-SD to my current AIAE. Scopes were IOR to SWFA SS to S&B. Reading the experience of others is helpful, but working these combinations yourself can have dramatically different results.

Forgot to add that I am not sure this is such a waste of money. It may have been an expensive learning experience, but you did learn, so that itself is valuable.

I was more refering to the 3.5x10x40mm with M2 knobs. It has a larger exit pupil than the one you have in your picture and also has those high speed knobs(hopefully better than the M1) that I thought would come in handy for hunting situations and it does have the side focus. Its seems those kind of knobs would negate the need for mil type turrets. Thanks for your reply though and great article.

Being a newcomer to LR at first glance your first rifle looked PERFECT to me. The lessons always seem to come at a cost in any of the disciplines?
I really enjoyed your read and got a lot of food for thought. I'm about to start my second build and already know things will be different. Thanks again!

Nice article. That is one of the things about our game. There really is no one single place where you can finger up all this stuff and feel how it fits you. So we make guesses and many times they are not right.

Great thread, it made me think about some of the choices I have made, and I really think I should've gone with a better optic that was a bit more flexable when it comes to hunting(I have a SS10x42), but the money will flow, and my rifle's evolution will continue!

This is a great thread for a beginner like me. Just got my gun, now I just need to shoot it and figure it out for myself. To each his own I guess. Thanks for the help guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was more refering to the 3.5x10x40mm with M2 knobs. It has a larger exit pupil than the one you have in your picture and also has those high speed knobs(hopefully better than the M1) that I thought would come in handy for hunting situations and it does have the side focus. Its seems those kind of knobs would negate the need for mil type turrets. Thanks for your reply though and great article. </div></div>

I have used one or two and I still have a problem with the clarity of the glass, but my biggest issue was the turrets. I am looking forward to seeing what SHOT will bring in the form of new optics, but I won't be beta testing anything with my own money.

I have owned, used, or at least looked through almost everything out there except the March. I feel pretty good about the compact NXS right now, but if I feel like a better mousetrap exists, I will go for it. We either evolve or stagnate, and while I am very happy with my system, I will always listen to new ideas.

Great read. I really enjoyed the progression of changes that your rifle went through.

It would be interesting to see more threads like thise (pictures are a requirement).