• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Exbal Ballistic Pocket PC - Question

onetoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Stockton, California, USA
I purchased Exbal Ballistic Pocket PC version 6.5 and I am running it on a pocket PDA with Windows mobile 6.0. For some reason in the field conditions mode I can not change the temperature or the barametric pressure. It has a preset number in the temp of 58.2867748 and the barametric pressure is 29.371991. On my desktop version I just put in temp. and pressure and it accepts the values. On this program it wont. Is this the way its suppose to operate or does anyone have suggestions where i can download information on this program?

Thanks.

Re: Exbal Ballistic Pocket PC - Question

Call Gerald Perry 361-584-1424

PS: Ask him to add the G7 BC to exbal

Terry

That is strange. I'm using the Exbal 6.0 version on windows mobile and I've never had that problem. Give them a call and see what they have to tell you.

I'm running what I think is the latest build of 6.5, and I don't have that problem. What platform are you running the program on?

Please let us know what you find out. I have the same problem and Gerald has not answered my email.

You can change the temp but as soon as you return to the same screen, it has changed back to another number.

Spoke with Gerald today. He explained that when we change the temperature in field conditions, it accepts the change and puts it in the calculations.

Each time you go back into field conditions, it defaults back to standard pressure or density, not sure what he said. The bottom line is that it takes your change, you just can't go back to see if you did it right because each time you go back, it defaults to another number.

He is obviously smarter than I am at this and I take him at his word. Shooting out to 1120 yards recently, by dope did match his calculation with my .308.

I'm using a Trimble Nomad running Windows Mobile 6.0. Also I have a question for you Lindy, are you also running the Field Firing Solutions & Precision Shooters Workbench for Windows Mobile 6.0 on PDA? I have sent two emails to Perry Systems Exbal, so far one shows that it came back to me unrecievable and the other has not yet been answered.

I run FFS on an HP iPAQ 111. I was not aware that PSW would run on a PDA, and haven't tried that. I can't think of any reason to.

I spoke with Gerald as well and got the same information as Troven from Exbal. I went ahead and changed the temperature in the field conditions and in the edit site conditions and went back to the ballistic drop table. Changing the temperatures had no effect on the drop table.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I spoke with Gerald as well and got the same information as Troven from Exbal. I went ahead and changed the temperature in the field conditions and in the edit site conditions and went back to the ballistic drop table. Changing the temperatures had no effect on the drop table. </div></div>

I went back and did the same thing. On the Pocket PC version, temp has no effect on the calculations. 0 degrees or 100 degree produces the same data at 1000 yards. That is not the case when I run the PC version on my desk top computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I went back and did the same thing. On the Pocket PC version, temp has no effect on the calculations. 0 degrees or 100 degree produces the same data at 1000 yards. That is not the case when I run the PC version on my desk top computer. </div></div>

I got over 80" of difference @ 1000yds from 0-100degrees on JBM looks like I'm not getting exbal till this gets figured out....

On the Pocket PC version, you must remember to hit the "Update" button in the lower right-hand corner of the Field Conditions screen to make the change. If you just hit the "OK" button in the <span style="font-style: italic">upper</span> right-hand corner to exit, you won't see an effect.

And I get a 6.75 MOA difference in my .308 load on a 1000 yard shot in going from 0 degrees to 100 degrees. That's without changing the muzzle velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Gerald Perry 361-584-1424

PS: Ask him to add the G7 BC to exbal

Terry</div></div>
I did just that a while back. Gerald said he wasn't interested because shooters might get confused between the G1 & G7 BC's and end up with invalid dope. Seems like he has had quite an attitude change since the last time I made a suggestion, which he implemented in a couple of days. I really like Exbal and have been using it for years, but I guess it is time to move on to a more up-to-date program.
Cheers,
DC

The biggest advantage of using a G7 BC is that it more accurately predicts velocities downrange. That's not a major issue until you're shooting near the range where the round goes transonic. And even then, it's not a big issue, because you're probably going to take the shot anyway.

If you run Exbal with a BC based on Bryan's Litz's testing, rather than the manufacturer's BC, which is usually, well, optimistic, Exbal will give you an elevation prediction which is very close to, say, JBM Ballistics using a G7 BC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest advantage of using a G7 BC is that it more accurately predicts velocities downrange. That's not a major issue until you're shooting near the range where the round goes transonic. And even then, it's not a big issue, because you're probably going to take the shot anyway.

If you run Exbal with a BC based on Bryan's Litz's testing, rather than the manufacturer's BC, which is usually, well, optimistic, Exbal will give you an elevation prediction which is very close to, say, JBM Ballistics using a G7 BC.
</div></div>
Lindy,
My testing with Sierra Matchking and the DTAC 115 grain bullet show near perfect correlation between Exbal and on-target results when using multiple ‘velocity banded’ G1 BC’s. Once you get away from the experimentally derived (as opposed to calculated) Sierra data, similar multiple ‘velocity banded’ G1 BC’s for other bullets gets pretty scarce. And you are right about the G1 and G7 predictions being close until the transonic range, as Bryan shows so clearly in his book.
I am not sure I agree with your assertion that it’s not a big deal because I am going to take the shot anyway. The error budgets start getting very tight near 1,000 yards (with most of the cartridges we shoot), and leaving the chute with known inaccurate data cannot help hit probability.
I find Gerald’s assertion that we can’t be trusted to input the correct BC insulting. Yes, some dweebs are going to screw this (and other inputs) up, but I for one am not going to continue to pay for software written to protect incompetents from themselves. Just my 2 cents worth.
Are you going to be in Sacramento in March?
Cheers,
DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My testing with Sierra Matchking and the DTAC 115 grain bullet show near perfect correlation between Exbal and on-target results when using multiple ‘velocity banded’ G1 BC’s. Once you get away from the experimentally derived (as opposed to calculated) Sierra data, similar multiple ‘velocity banded’ G1 BC’s for other bullets gets pretty scarce.</div></div>

Yes, Sierra is one of the few which provide G1 data in velocity ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The error budgets start getting very tight near 1,000 yards (with most of the cartridges we shoot), and leaving the chute with known inaccurate data cannot help hit probability.</div></div>

I don't disagree. I tune my BC, muzzle velocity, or both when using Exbal so that the program predictions match my field shooting data, usually using 1000 yard dope, which I get with enough shots to be reasonably certain that I know what the 1000 yard dope really is.

However, not everyone has access to a 1000 yard range.

I don't think he means to be insulting. I think Gerald's problem is more likely to be that most manufacturers fail to provide anything other that G1 BCs, so many shooters would not have a G7 reference for their bullet - unless they owned Bryan's book, and it was one of the bullets he tested.

I have not, so far, been invited to go to the Sacramento class in March.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the Pocket PC version, you must remember to hit the "Update" button in the lower right-hand corner of the Field Conditions screen to make the change. If you just hit the "OK" button in the <span style="font-style: italic">upper</span> right-hand corner to exit, you won't see an effect.

And I get a 6.75 MOA difference in my .308 load on a 1000 yard shot in going from 0 degrees to 100 degrees. That's without changing the muzzle velocity.
</div></div>

Lindy,

I did that. I tried every way I can find to make the data change at 1000 yards by adjusting temperature. Can't get it to change. Not the same on the PC version. I have checked and unchecked "Density Altitude" and "Calculate Standard Pressure" and every combination I can think of. No change.

I have Exbal Version 6.5 Build 3566, 10/2009 What version do you have?

Trovan:

I have versions before your's running dated April, 2009 and September, 2009.

I also have a version after your's, which I did not have running, and in which I can reproduce your problem.

Call Gerald, describe the problem, and I expect he will email you a new version.

I'm going to drop him a note, confiming the problem in a build I have after trying a couple of subsequent versions I have saved, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Since the September version did not have that problem, something in the build must have changed in October which broke it.

Thanks Lindy. I will wait a couple of days nd call him. Sounds like an easy fix on his part.

I have a similar problem,
when I change the elevation (~7300 ft ASL)
it sets the temp to 32.97 degress and will let me change it, but it won't save it.....

I am basically reloading to the Palma match round using 155 AMAX's, the dope on exbal is very close @ 8.7 mils at 1000,
I have confirmed that 9 mils is dead on for me at 1000
(little to no wind).....

I will email him as well....

Trovan, and anyone else having a problem with newer versions of the program.

Gerald emailed me a version which fixes that problem.

If you drop him an email at the address listed on the web site, [email protected], I expect he will do that same for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trovan, and anyone else having a problem with newer versions of the program.

Gerald emailed me a version which fixes that problem.

If you drop him an email at the address listed on the web site, [email protected], I expect he will do that same for you.
</div></div>

Thanks Lindy....

When I had the problems with the Exbal Ballistic Pocket PC version 6.5 I called Gerald and got the same information that Troven received. Could not find a manuel on line to download to trouble shoot so I bought the FFS Delta Four program, I am running it on my TDS Nomad with Windows Mobile 6.0 So far for me its an awesome program. I downloaded the 65 page instruction manuel which was extremely helpfull. I managed to pick up a recdonditioned Newcon LFR 4000CI with a RS-323 interface. When the Newcon LFR is combined with the TDS Nomad the FFS program really comes to life. Because the LFR 4000CI has range finder capability, speed detection using two bearings, compass, inclinometer, and GPS with the push of a button you get real time shooting solutions within about 1 - 2 seconds of each reading. In the readout on the screen it gives distance, angle, target speed, compass bearing, and a shooting solution for all the above. I have tested it in the field to 1000 yards. Found it to be accurate within .1 IPH or MOA. Mucho happy.

Lindy, PM sent.

Received a new version from Gerald. Things are working fine now.

Thanks