• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Excellent choice for survival knife would be??????

datw

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
Juliette Ga
Need to know what kind of knife can be put through some serious stuff and still keep an edge, easy to sharpen, and come with a kick ass sheath. Also would like some info on some great sharpening systems that are easily portable like in a backpack. Money is....150-400? Please help me out on this one. Thanks

Re: Excellent choice for survival knife would be??????

For $400.00 you can get a great knife to do about anything you want.

What do you want it to do? Easy to sharpen and good edge, I would go with L6 but you gotta take care of it.

For that kind of money, you can buy all but the higest end custom blades. But keep in mind, a "survival knife" is the one which you have on you at the time. Not the one cached at home with all of your other gear.

Edge retention & ease of sharpening are sort of at odds with each other. Usually a knife that's easier to resharpen wont hold an edge quite so long as one which is harder due to the steel used in its manufacture, or its heat treatment.
While it's trendy, & written about much, unless you live in the surf zone without any time to care for your knife, coated stainless steel is over rated. And has more vices than virtues, at least in fixed blades.
Go to www.mdtactical.com & look up what Kevin's written about choosing a knife, & knife materials.

It would pay to do some perusing of knife websites, as well as some catalogs like Brigade Quartermaster & the like. Then you'll have something of a picture as to what's out there, & what you might like.

Also keep in mind, don't buy anything more expensive than you can afford to lose or break. Such things do happen in FUBAR scenarios. And it's also wise to carry more than one knife if you really anticipate depending heavily upon them.
Like say a good fixed blade, & as a supplement, a folder, swiss army knife, or multi-tool. The latter being real handy.
No one knife excells at every sort of task which comes up, & most wind up buying one far larger than they really need. Which winds up being less utility oriented, more to carry, & more to sharpen.

Just like a good holster is a necessity for a sidearm, as a good sling is to a rifle, a good sheath is indespensible. Or a good pocket clip on folders. Staying attached to one's blade is sort of vital, even if it means a piece of dummy cord with a small carabiner on it/or some form of retention lanyard.

Google Don Paul, & see what he's written. His advice on knives, while a touch dated when last I checked, as far as blade makers, is still very valid & practical.

It's the tool above the neck which will keep you alive, warm & fed ultimately.

Shoot me a PM if you have more questions.

The late Col. James "Nick" Rowe, who came back into the Army after Vietnam to start up the SERE School - a Google search on his name will turn up his bonafides - carried a folder with a 3" blade of low-carbon steel so he could sharpen it on a rock.

Now <span style="font-style: italic">that's</span> a survival knife, as opposed to a Rambo-style fighting knife.

Lindy,
Nice call on that one.

Still, a 2 sided diamond stone's nice to have with you in the field if you can manage it. Such is a perk of a sheath with a pocket.

I guess my "survival knife" would be my Microtech Mini-SOCOM folder since it's on my person anytime I am out of the house (in civvies).

My "field knife" is a SOG SEAL 2K.

100_2127.jpg

I always carries either an Arkansas stone or a ceramic stone in the field. It's better to touch up the edge from time to time instead of waiting for it to get dull. I prefer a good stone to any of the sharpening "systems" for regular sharpening duties, however as Lindy mentioned you can use an appropriate rock in a pinch.

Thanks for the info... I have some chris reeves stuff and i like it alot but i am not in the know on steel types and pro's and con's associated with that. I will look up what is mentioned above and truly appreciate all input.

I just saved you some money.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/asek.html

Why this particular one? It's PROVEN. I have some Government issue ones from the local SERE school that have been in use for more than 10 years. And this is the old model we're talking about here. They had rust dings, scratches, you name it. But the moment I took it to a whetstone it was sharp again.

I like Strider Knives, and have their SMF on my leg right now. They are expensive, but your price range is on par with their folders.

I bought mine new prior to this deployment, and early on I bumped into an 0311 out in the CA desert with the same model (his was issued). His looked like it had been through Hell and back, but the movement and blade were just like my new one. Needless to say, I felt a little better about my purchase after seeing those side-by-side.

Strider's warranty policy, per their website:

If it's broken, we'll fix it.
If it's dull, we'll sharpen it.
If it's old and tired, we'll refurbish it.
Some things have a fee, some don't.
Ask around ... we won't do you wrong.

Not exactly sexy, looks wise, but HSLD is what works, so...

Any decent 3"-3 1/2" blade "pocket knife" and a plain old MK 1 Mod O machete.

Pocket knife will be with you always and is good for fine work while the machete is used by an awful lot of "primitive" people who actually live the survival life every day.

Attach a decent Arkansas stone or Diamond Hone to the sheath and keep both blades sharp. Touch 'em up before you've got to "re-sharpen them".

Gerber LMF II, worse comes to worse you can sharpen it with the sheath, the butt plate can be use as a hammer, and a glass breaker, the steel is good, not anything i would want to pry the turret of a tank with but if it came to it i would try

I ordered the asek from ontario and was not real impressed... Which i was not well informed on the purchase in the first place. Maybe it was an excellent knife it just didn't feel right to me. Also ordered the comparable one from gerber that was the same $ and like that one alot actually. Thanks for the info, anymore of you that can comment please do...Need some advise on excellent sheaths and more importantly good advice on sharpening stuff. Thanks once again.

Forgot to add that i have a strider fixed, it feels like a serious piece of steel, not as well balanced as the green beret's i have.

Hate to keep posting on my own topic but what about tops knives?

To answer your query about Tops knives, steer clear of them. The QC just isn't there. I've broken 2 in just doing light work with them, chores which even a cheepie folder could handle with no problems.
Most likely the heat treat was bad, but it resulted in the tip snapping off when I was just doing chores around the house. Let alone the sort of stuff which one puts a knife thru in the field.
I've heard a fair number of similar stories about their blades.
Remember that warranties aren't worth a square of toilet paper when one's in the field & the knife goes TU.

Also, be careful with Striders, the fixed bladed sort. Some are pretty brittle, not to mention overpriced. The dealer mark up on them is 200+% from what they buy them for.
I had one literally shatter into multiple pieces, which to me signals bad steel choices, & or heat treat issues.

The guys who make them are great to talk to, but they've WAY over stated their resume's & field experiences. To the point where said contentions wound up in court multiple times. With the folks at Strider backing down as they knew they were busted, & if they didn't back down & apoligize to the other party in the law suit, they'd wind up back in the grey bar hotel.

Don't get me wrong, they're decent knives, but I'd put a Cold Steel costing 1/3 the price up against them at the drop of a hat.

The owners/operators of said company have Very sketchy legal histories. IE a few felony convictions.
It's great that given their history, the makers were able to boot strap themselves up, & create a decent company in light of their past. But the over stating of claims of Black Ops missions, & the like leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

datw,

The ASEK felt the same as my Emerson at first(Listen before you yell at me). It felt new and foreign. Eventually I accepted it as an almost irreplacable tool.

Give it some time. Use it. I mean USE it. Throw everything you have at it, work wise. It'll come right back to you.

As for a sheath. Try looking for a Spec Ops Brand Survival Sheath. They don't make them anymore so yoiu might have to look. I have one, and it's a great sheath. Only problem was that the insert that holds the knife was very large and I ended up hammering with a rubber mallet to keep the knife from rattling around in there.

Make sure you look at the vendors on the Hide first before you go anywhere else.

Busse ASH1

i have a mint LE (Limited Edition) ASH1 that i am willing to sell if you are interested. PM if interested.

If you are just going use it for everything other than a prybar, I would say save some $$ and get a Ontario RAT-7. If going to use as a prybar, get a Busse.

As was pointed out above a "survival knife" can mean a lot of things. I've been fortunate enough to be able to purchase some really nice knives. I love my Striders and carry one daily. But looking back to some younger days when I spent more days (and nights) in the backwoods than I did at home, my number one, go to, everything knife was my trusty Ka-Bar. It chopped, it sliced, it dug, it pounded tent stakes, it stirred my coffee in the morning...everything I could ever ask of it...all for a reasonable price. If I lost it or broke it, I didn't have to get a loan to replace it.

I do not own one yet.. mine is being made, a few buddy of mine ordered some before we deployed and have been beating them up..
http://www.graymanknives.com/
it takes about 4 months for him to make you a knife, but from what i am hearing from my friends it was worth the wait..
As far as high-end knives I have two MOD knives that i have been beating up while on this deployment, anything from opening ammo to cutting open MREs... they work well but 400 bucks for a knife is alot..
the knife really all depends on what you want to use it for, and if you need a folder or fixed blade...

may want to check out Steve Woods offerings.... I recently acquired one of his fighters, and it is a top notch design & blade. If you like the SERE style, check out Al Mar's SERE... I've owned 2 of his auto SERE's with no regrets...liked them enough to arm my Dad with one....

I've been a proponent of Cold Steel knives for quite a while now. I got my first one in 1999 in the PX in camp bondsteel, kosovo. It's just one of their cheap voyager series knives. I still have it today and have carried it through a tour in afghanistan and another one in iraq. It's served me very well in everything from cutting 550 cord and opening packages and such to stripping cabling and everything you can think of during hunting and fishing when I'm back home. That's the clip-it I carry most. If you're looking to spend a bit more and for a folder The Black Sable or Talwar folder are both exceptional.

There are a few more makers I'd reccomend as far as customs go but they become pricey. Jim Siska, Reese Weiland, Don Lozier, Chris Reeve to name a few. All of which have seriously high end collectors blades as well as down to earth work knives built to be used everyday.

Here's a bit of insight into blade material toughness and ease of sharpening.

http://www.warrenknives.com/blade%20steels.htm

There are of course many other alloys used for blades but this might give you an idea what to look for. Also the FAQ on the Cold Steel site has some good info on blade materials. I hope this helps you out some.

A great value for the buck where the Camillus BT&K line that may be coming back soon.

A Crewman or Companion would be a great hard use knife, not pretty but what good is pretty when you are gonna abuse it.

Top 2 are a reworked Becker Campanion and a Crewman, bottom 2 are Becker Combat Utility and Bowie.

mvc019stg5.jpg

As for sheaths they come with the basic ballistic nylon with kydex insert (Or so they did) which in in itself can be a very useful part of the kit.

The pocket will hold an Altoids Tin full of what ever you think you might want in a survival sitution.

mvc021str0.jpg

Store a lenght of 550 cord on the back of the sheath plus Ranger Bands over the bottom of the sheath for fire starting and what not.

mvc020ssk1.jpg

Note these are Carbon Steel and while easy the care for, sharpen they will rust if you let them.

Finished Beck Combat Utility with Micarta grips.

modbk7kd4.jpg

Finished Becker Combat Bowie with Natural Micarta grips.

bk9aai4.jpg

Karsten

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grounds Keeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer your query about Tops knives, steer clear of them. The QC just isn't there. I've broken 2 in just doing light work with them, chores which even a cheepie folder could handle with no problems.
Most likely the heat treat was bad, but it resulted in the tip snapping off when I was just doing chores around the house. Let alone the sort of stuff which one puts a knife thru in the field.
I've heard a fair number of similar stories about their blades.
Remember that warranties aren't worth a square of toilet paper when one's in the field & the knife goes TU.

Also, be careful with Striders, the fixed bladed sort. Some are pretty brittle, not to mention overpriced. The dealer mark up on them is 200+% from what they buy them for.
I had one literally shatter into multiple pieces, which to me signals bad steel choices, & or heat treat issues.

The guys who make them are great to talk to, but they've WAY over stated their resume's & field experiences. To the point where said contentions wound up in court multiple times. With the folks at Strider backing down as they knew they were busted, & if they didn't back down & apoligize to the other party in the law suit, they'd wind up back in the grey bar hotel.

Don't get me wrong, they're decent knives, but I'd put a Cold Steel costing 1/3 the price up against them at the drop of a hat.

The owners/operators of said company have Very sketchy legal histories. IE a few felony convictions.
It's great that given their history, the makers were able to boot strap themselves up, & create a decent company in light of their past. But the over stating of claims of Black Ops missions, & the like leaves a foul taste in my mouth. </div></div>

Thats Bull shit Strider dealers operate the same margins as any other similar knives.Brittle up until recently Paul Boss did all their heat treating and he is accepted as one of the authorities on metalurgy.Mic and Duane have given tons to our Armed forces.And comparing anything from that pog Lynn Thompsom and his K mart special shit is a joke. Some CS stuff is ok but most is cheap asian crap.I do agree about TOPs QC though marginal at best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats Bull shit Strider dealers operate the same margins as any other similar knives.Brittle up until recently Paul Boss did all their heat treating and he is accepted as one of the authorities on metalurgy.Mic and Duane have given tons to our Armed forces.And comparing anything from that pog Lynn Thompsom and his K mart special shit is a joke. Some CS stuff is ok but most is cheap asian crap.I do agree about TOPs QC though marginal at best. </div></div>

I know next to nothing about Strider knives. I've been much more into customs lately. Mick Strider custom blades look great but the Strider knives production line is kinda flashy with colored blades. Does anyone need or actually want a digi camo or tiger striped blade. That's not something that'd be a "selling point" for me more like an unwanted extra step in the finishing I don't really want to pay extra for. I will give them this. They use great materials to build their knives and the RCC-F-T looks like something I might actually carry(minus the camo). I'm not a huge fan of clip point blades or corded handles and that seems to be the bulk of Strider knives catalog. The more I look at Cold Steel though after delving into how knives are made and what goes into their construction the less impressed I am. I like the design of Cold Steel blades but when I give San Mai III(Cold Steel's primary blade material) some comparision to what guys like Jerry Rados or Mel Pardue or Jim Minnick use to make blades it seems like a cheap workaround for a problem that is solved in an easier way.....use better materials. After reading up on it and finding out it's just a sandwich of different carbon content steel it leaves me wondering exactly how stable that could be. From now on I'll probably just stick to S30V, ATS-34 or some custom forged damascus. To be honest there are so many makers out there now building custom blades it's hard for me to justify spending more than a hundred dollars for a knife that's manufactured rather than hand made. I'd rather just save the several hundred dollars I'd spend down the road on a few inferior knives and drop it all on one that will last a lifetime. Case in point...

http://www.rehobothcustomknives.com/KJS043.htm

or

http://www.finercutlery.com/details.php?item=6329

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great value for the buck where the Camillus BT&K line that may be coming back soon.

</div></div>

K-Bar is now producing at least some of the Becker line. I got a Tac-tool in last week. So far there is also two versions of the
Becker Necker, and a 5" fixed blade.

My current pocket knife is what I'd be using for a survival knife.

It's a Kobalt pocket folder from Lowe's, about $20. Two lockback 'blades'. One is a serrated 4" blade, and the other accepts and instantly changes utility knife blades, which can also be reversed if one end gets dull. I carry spares in my wallet.

The utility knife blade is usually scalpel sharp, and can do the kind of finer work that I can even use for things like detailed woodcarving (y'oughta see my Duck Dodgers neckerchief slide).

The 4" serrated blade can be pounded with a mallet/club for work I'd normally use a hand axe on, and the handle allows it to be used with considerable precision.

With both blades locked open, razor end extended between thumb and forefinger, it makes a competent fighting blade.

I used to be a serious proponent of the Swiss Army knife, but lately, I just carry the falder and an inexpensive multitool. Total expense, even going hog wild at Lowes, well under $50.

Greg

Randall #14
Benchmade 3550
Gerber Diesel

I'd have to say thats a pretty good point. Got a couple of em though. Looking for a knife that can be abused and hold an edge. thanks

KABAR - simple, effective, bomb proof, wont break the bank

GERBER - the best handles out there, blade quality excellent, more$

I'm going to say it...

EMERSON!!!

There. I said it.

Based on the above link the busse's seem to hold up quite well.
thanks for the info

I like the Microtech Curahee; cheap and solid.

Also like my Randal #15; not so cheap but rock solid.

DSC_0233.jpg

I gotta agree with DK on this . If I gotta have a survival knife I would like it to be pliers , a saw , screwdriver , bottle opener and anything else I can cram on it all at once . Don't get me wrong a 3-500 dollar fixed blade horns me up as much as the next guy but for sheer survival the multi-plier rules .

If you absolutely have to have a fixed blade I would look at the Chris Reeves one piece knives . At least you can stuff the handle full of fishing line and matches and the frigging things are bomb proof . Crank it down in a bench vise and beat on it with a sledge and you are probably gonna lose a piece of your bench or the vise before the knife breaks .

+3

I originally went with a paratrooper type(it folds inside itself) Gerber at first. But like most of the first multitools it was made out of something akin to sheet metal.

Eventually I ended up with a Gerber 800 series. Which I've used more times than I've used my Emerson.

Oddly enough is that I've found both of those...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gerber infantry survival knife 100$ </div></div>

LA Police gear has them on closeout for $69.99 (includes strap cutter):
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lmfiiasek.html

I don't have a lot of personal experience with it (yet), but it sure looks like it could come in handy....

Bill

The knife that suits you best?

I personally have a Buckmaster, heavy but has been in situations in the Arctic with me, I swear by it....although teh Bear Grylls style knife is now looking like a good lightweight alternative for me...

I really couldn't name only one. I would try to have a folder, multi-tool, and fixed blade of some sort in my gear, on my person, and in my truck. I also have a very small SS folder attached to a cord with my compass on it. Razor blades are good to keep around as well.

The main thing is to have a blade. And a fire starter.

Don't really no about survival, but the Curahee from micro tech is one of my favorites. I have six of them. I get about 25 cleanings per knife before needing to be sharpened.