• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Excessive bolt wear ?

MTS308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Lake butler fl
IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG

Hey guys just wondering if the wear on this bolt looks excessive? Rifle is Remington 700 sps in 7mmstw not sure how old the rifle is but it appears to be a factory barreled action in a h s precision stock with oversized bolt knob installed. I found it used at a local gun shop I deal with.
The previous owner traded it in on a Christensen Ridgeline and I got the rifle with rcbs dies and 100+ brass/handloads for 600$. All the handloads with it are dated from 2013-14.
I took a chance and bought it figuring if the barrel was shot out I would rebarrel in 300win mag. The only range I've been able to shoot is 25yards and it has been one hole groups with the hand loads that came with it. But after I stripped and cleaned it I looked at the bolt closer and now I'm not to sure about if I want to keep it or get rid of it. The action shows typical wear from the bolt but nothing excessive. And I checked to make sure the front action bolt wasn't to long and rubbing. It's not and without the firing pin/ bolt shroud there is no resistance on the bolt. Slides in smooth and handle drops relatively loose. Non of my other Remington's have this much wear but they are all 223/6.5cm/308. Not sure if it being a 7mm stw would make a difference. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks.

I am no gunsmith, not by a long shot. However, that damage does not look natural. Looks like it has been beat on, dropped, and tossed in the bottom of a bed box. Funny thing is the back of the lugs, which is where I would expect to see the wear, looks fine.

There isn't anything I see that looks alarming. The only curious thing is the high spot around where the extractor is riveted in. I'd keep it.

The dented spot on the bottom looks a crappy extractor install but when I rebarrel It i figured I would do a sako or m16 style extractor upgrade. If you look at the same picture you can see a line running from the left lug to right lug. It slowly tapers off to nothing but at the lug you catch your fingernail on it. Not sure what's going on there though.

The dented spot on the bottom looks a crappy extractor install but when I rebarrel It i figured I would do a sako or m16 style extractor upgrade. If you look at the same picture you can see a line running from the left lug to right lug. It slowly tapers off to nothing but at the lug you catch your fingernail on it. Not sure what's going on there though.

I don't think the marks on the bolt will affect functionality at all.

Looks like the assembler/smith peening the extractor rivet needs glasses in order to make a square strike.

Reactions: OG10 and ShtrRdy
Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Cotter! Can I play?

This bolt was coated with some kinda ceracoat bolt slick product at the last barrel replacement, about 3400-ish rounds ago. Before that it already had three barrels on it.

C592DCFC-4E35-4B73-9332-83BA738C15CF.jpeg

52E26728-74C8-4082-AD02-B5E48C74AEDC.jpeg

E6EAFD9F-2390-42E0-AF1F-F708AC692100.jpeg

Thanks guys. I'll probably hang on to it and eventually rebarrel it when I've shot out the current barrel. Appreciate the help.

It looks terrible and dangerous and it's a piece of crap. I'll give you $50 for it in order to keep you safe. </sarc>

That bolt has very few rounds on it...probably because nobody can shot a 7 STW more than a few rounds. I'd expect to see significant cratering with moderate of heavier loads. Magnum primers may help.

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY