• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Exercise recommendations: Pistols felt so heavy after 1 year of no range time

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    Finally got back to the range today for pistols, shooting .22, 9mm Sig and LC9s, and .44 DE.
    The .22 was typical after a mag, and the 9mm Sig 229 and Ruger LCS9 weren't bad after a couple of mags each, but not what was hoped for.

But with the .44 Desert Eagle 14" barrel, which a year ago shot a 4-5" group at 25 yards, closer to 12" group today, and had a tough time racking the slide (which is a bear on a good day).

I expect it's lack of using muscles for a year.

What exercises would you suggest to rebuild the muscles for better control?

I have used a kettle ball in the past.
    Stand in a firing position and extend the arm straight out to the front.
    Rotate in small circles 20x , reverse direction 20x
    Switch arms. Repeat.
    Repeat again with the arm straight to the side.
    Do multiple sets, 3-5.
    When holding the handle on the kettle ball do this with the trigger finger relaxed, extended if needed.
    If you are recovering from an injury, start light, lighter than a pistol. Work up to about pistol weight or slightly heavier.
    In my reading it is said not to do heavy weights during a competitive season. Work on fine motor control and toning the muscles and connective tissues.

Reactions: TXAZ
    General physical fitness stuff. Strengthening your arms, traps, chest and back will help.

So will dry firing that big gun. I think constant dry firing will get your muscular endurance back pretty quickly.

Reactions: TXAZ
    Assume the pushup position

Ready.............Exercise!

Worked well in the Navy 30 some odd years ago. Works just as well now.

Reactions: RTH1800 and nn8734
    How old are you, and what kind of shape were you in a year ago? I'd be pretty concerned about that level of strength loss. It may merit having yourself checked out.

The good thing is that if you are that weak now, and not sick otherwise, just about anything will help you. I'd probably start right where 308 Pirate suggests, and do situps and push ups. For hands and forearms, nothing beats picking up heavy things in your hands and walking around for a while.

Honestly, I'd worry about getting into overall shape, and worry less about shooting muscles.

This boxer exercise will work for you, if you don't have other limitation with your shoulders, or back. Every other day, with each arm, perform 100 jabs, 100 upper cuts and 100 hooks. After two weeks, add two pound dumbells to each hand and perform. Every two weeks, increase the weight by two pounds. By the time you get to four pound dumbells, you'll be good to go.
    Like Choid said, try to get into over all good shape.

Assume the pushup position

Ready.............Exercise!

Worked well in the Navy 30 some odd years ago. Works just as well now.
    This.

And @TXAZ , don’t limit yourself to just the traditional style of push-up. Incorporate diamonds, incline, decline, pike, pseudo-planche, wall-touch, etc. I’d also add isometric holds into the mix. Basically you give yourself a full body work out without spending a dime on equipment.

Do a full regiment of, say 10-15 reps (go to failure each set) of each push-up style every other day (eventually every day) and you will notice a yuge difference in your strength and stamina in 30 days or less. Don’t neglect cardio either.

Lastly, cut out sugar, refined carbs if you haven’t already done so; you’ll notice your joints hurt less after a couple months of no sugar/carbs.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Also nothing will build the exact muscles you need like using the pistol itself. Just racking the slide and dry firing. When you get to where it’s easy add weight. Hang a weight off the trigger guard.
    I used inner barrel weights inside my live pigeon gun and added a few pounds. Amazing how light the gun seemed “empty”.

This right here is on of the best things you can do for yourself. Slightly off topic, but hydrating, calisthenics, a decent diet, and sleep will overall give you more energy, endurance, and mental acuity.
    Yep, it’s literally life changing. Consuming quantities of the unholy trinity of food groups (sugars, refined carbs, processed foods - basically anything that comes in a box) for years is essentially asking for chronic ailments, long hospital stays and misery.

Fuck all that shit.

Would add intermittent fasting and portion control to the list - most Americans eat waaay to fucking much these days.

Yep, it’s literally life changing. Consuming quantities of the unholy trinity of food groups (sugars, refined carbs, processed foods - basically anything that comes in a box) for years is essentially asking for chronic ailments, long hospital stays and misery.

Fuck all that shit.

Would add intermittent fasting and portion control to the list - most Americans eat waaay to fucking much these days.

Does intermittent fasting really work? I've wondered if it's just another diet fad.

I work out at 5am before work. I feel like poop if I don't eat before I exercise. That's what intermittent fasting is right? You skip breakfast?

Does intermittent fasting really work? I've wondered if it's just another diet fad.

I work out at 5am before work. I feel like poop if I don't eat before I exercise. That's what intermittent fasting is right? You skip breakfast?
    I think most people do well on most diets because diets impose discipline. Diets you can stay on forever are even better for that, because for too many, no diet means no discipline.

I also work out early, though not 5am. I could not do it without both breakfast, which is mainly protein, and pre workout carbs. Maybe some can, but if you are working out to build muscle, rather than to lose weight, you arguably need some significant nutrition flowing through your body to do so.

I eat my meals between noon and 8pm every day and portions are commensurate with activity levels on any given day.

Intermittent fasting is not a diet, it’s an eating pattern that promotes autophagy (the state your body enters when it consumes its fat reserves vs running off of food you intake). Additionally it lightens the load on your GI, renal, liver/pancreas. I’d also recommend doing a water fast of 48-72 hours every three-six months or so. You’d be surprised on how much better you feel.

Proper diet includes eating only organic: lean meats, crucifirious veggies, fruit in small quantities, and a very bare minimum of organic oats, etc. no fads because fads are temporary then it’s right back to being fat/out of shape again

What I don’t eat: processed foods, anything in a box (cereal, waffles, frozen pre-made dinners, bread or pasta, esp if it’s made in America, soda/fruit drinks, junk food snacks, cake, candy, etc, fruits high in fructose as fructose stresses liver). The list is frankly much too long to list out here but this gives you an idea.

Consume your protein and veggies before a workout; only consume carbs after a workout as that’s when your body is primed to absorb the energy, nutrients in carbs vs being converted to sugar and stored as fat reserves. You want your body to run off of fat reserves as much as possible otherwise. That’s how you lose weight and keep it off. Also, track your macros: keep protein relatively high esp if you are active, sugar to 0 and carbs to less than 50g per day (I eat on avg 30 per day) and keep your fiber intake up.

Most of people eat like shit all their lives and wonder why they have chronic health problems when they get older.

Last edited:
    Reactions: OREGUN and Gil P.
    I eat my meals between noon and 8pm every day and portions are commensurate with activity levels on any given day).

Intermittent fasting is not a diet, it’s an eating pattern that promotes autophagy (the state your body enters when it consumes its fat reserves vs running off of food you intake). Additionally it lightens the load your GI, renal, liver/pancreas. I’d also recommend doing a water fast of 48-72 hours every three-six months or so. You’d be surprised on how much better you feel.

Proper diet includes eating only organic: lean meats, crucifirious veggies, fruit in small quantities, and a very bare minimum of organic oats, etc. no fads because dads are temporary then it’s right back to being fat/out of shape again

What I don’t eat: processed foods, anything in a box (cereal, waffles, frozen pre-made dinners, bread or pasta, esp if it’s made in America, soda/fruit drinks, junk food snacks, cake, candy, etc, fruits high in fructose as fructose stresses liver). The list is frankly much too long to list out here but this gives you an idea.

Consume your protein and veggies before a workout; only consume carbs after a workout as that’s when your body is primed to absorb the energy, nutrients in carbs vs being converted to sugar and stored as fat reserves. You want your body to run off of fat reserves as much as possible otherwise. That’s how you lose weight and keep it off. Also, track your macros: keep protein relatively high esp if you are active, sugar to 0 and carbs to less than 50g per day (I eat on avg 30 per day) and keep your fiber intake up.

Most of people eat like shit all their lives and wonder why they have chronic health problems when they get older.
    This is correct save for the timing of carbs and working out. Your body stores carbs as glycogen in muscles, and in order to perform at your best, you really need to both have glycogen in your muscles, and be circulating simple carbs during workouts. Now, this is only if you are working out for performance, and not working out to lose fat. If your goal is fat loss, then you do want to minimize carbs before activity so as to burn more fat. But, as far as performance fuel, simple carbs are the highest octane shit going.

easy way to strengthen shoulders for what your are explaining without going vegan, sit ups until you burst or buying weights and dumbells

then use the same weight, keeping your arms strait, bring the weight to your hips/legs and then raise it up to about eye level

you dont need power (heavy weight presses) you need endurance

Reactions: clcustom1911
    This is correct save for the timing of carbs and working out. Your body stores carbs as glycogen in muscles, and in order to perform at your best, you really need to both have glycogen in your muscles, and be circulating simple carbs during workouts. Now, this is only if you are working out for performance, and not working out to lose fat. If your goal is fat loss, then you do want to minimize carbs before activity so as to burn more fat. But, as far as performance fuel, simple carbs are the highest octane shit going.
    Yes if you are working out for higher intensity performance then simple carbs give you fuel for a more intense work out or event. But most folks engaged in that space already have the baseline diet/health thing figured out. I was addressing general diet patterns for those not already very active, etc so they can get there. But even I eat mostly non-carbs before a workout out, Spartan race, shooting comps, etc as I save them for the post-workout meal.

Reactions: Choid
    I guess you could drink the simplest sugar you can find and drink caffeine before a work out if you want the REAL good stuff lol.

I guess you could drink the simplest sugar you can find and drink caffeine before a work out if you want the REAL good stuff lol.
    Coffee, yes - but not with carbs as your insulin will spike. So one or the other before workouts - I’d do coffee unless your workout will be intense then as Choid says, simple carbs go a long way.

As far as what to eat after a work out, I learned in school that you should not eat sugars since you'll no longer be active. Your body will tend to store sugar as fat unless you eat sugar and use it in your muscles immediately.

I thought after a workout it was most important to eat lean protein and vegetables.

Seriously? Get a 10 lb dumb bell or kettle bell....you do NOT need a lot of weight to work on shoulders and I would hazard that's where you are getting the burn.

Do anterior lifts (to the front, one arm at a time), lateral (lift to the side), and then bend forward slightly and bring hands from in front directly out to the side and hit those deltoids. Can also use a excercise band....stand straight up with hands in front in the band and pull your arms out and back and hit the back of the shoulder.

Or look at this site who will be way more clear and detailed than my ramblings

Good luck

I started using resistance bands four or five years ago.
    I hqve bands ranging from 5 to 80 pounds, can be used just about anywere and roll up and fit into a small bag for travel or compact storage.
    They are fairly low impact on the aging joints as well.

As far as what to eat after a work out, I learned in school that you should not eat sugars since you'll no longer be active. Your body will tend to store sugar as fat unless you eat sugar and use it in your muscles immediately.

I thought after a workout it was most important to eat lean protein and vegetables.

there are so many studies about how and when to eat

the latest study i read was from Olympic athlete dietician

they do some of the most scientific research because of the money involved and the constant testing for controlled substances

taking advice from anyone on PED is not going to work the same for non users; have a few bodybuilider friends

he found that the actual time of day pre/post work out didnt make much of a difference

just multiple meals a day so the athlete gets the prescribed micro/macro protien, vitamins etc

I would also incorporate apple cider vinegar. While you don’t have to drink it by the pint, small amounts of ACV promote better digestion, absorbing nutrient and vitamins help reduce “low stomach acid condition which can lead to reflux

But with the .44 Desert Eagle 14" barrel, which a year ago shot a 4-5" group at 25 yards, closer to 12" group today, and had a tough time racking the slide (which is a bear on a good day).

a 14" barrel would be sweet.
    I only was able to get the 10" one on mine and even those seem rare today.

It's definitely not a fad and it definitely works. Fasting alone is not a 100% solution but rather a really good tool in a healthy lifestyle.

Another thing that goes along with fasting is to mix up your diet. By that I mean one week go 100% vegetarian. The next week eat primarily fish. Then go red meat for a while, then white meat such as chicken or pork, but each should be at least a week for the primary protein. You can do pasta for a week and so on and so forth.

Humans are a product of habit. Your body is too. Most people eat the same rotation of things and as a result your body becomes very efficient at metabolism of those things. But just like anything else discomfort brings progress. Throw off your diet and mix it up to where your body is forced to adapt and overall it will respond and result in much better health.

Sugar is a major league drug. Try cutting it out cold and see just how addicted you really are to it. It's insane really.

The idea isn't to say one kind of food is "better" but rather that you need to make your body hardened up to perceived hardship. The changing of primary food types can't be super fast. It has to go on long enough for your metabolism to adjust. Usually about a week is right but it might be 10 days for some people.

Fasting in the middle of all that brings a lot of benefits.

The best rule about exactly what to eat is to avoid junk. If it comes out of a box the answer is probably no.

To say that eating one thing is good for you and the other thing is bad isn't really effective in my book. Just mix up what you eat though so that you can force yourself into the desired results. If you ever try it you won't be going hungry by any means but you will discover what you are addicted to and how those things really make you feel.

What you leaned in school concerning sugar is correct. Your body manufacturers all the glucose it needs via gluconeogenesis(sp) so don’t need to consume any extra sugar or carbs (sugar is simply a sweet carb) assuming you are not hypoglycemic. So the only time you need any sugar (dextrose, etc) is immediately before or even during an INTENSE work out (when I run a Spartan race I keep a few energy chews on my person and eat them when needed).

Eating protein after a work out is not nearly as ideal as it is before. Exercise (esp high energy/intensity) reduces appetite as does eating a meal high in protein; inactivity stimulates hunger/appetite. So Eating protein at all other mealtimes, except immediately after a work out is preferred as you stay “full” longer while inactive and aren’t tempted to eat when it’s not necessary.

The gun that is too heavy is the perfect workout tool. Hold it at arms lenght in front of you until you almost cant, then hold it over your head to rest. Thats all i do to work out my shoulders and back. Gunrobics is the manliest workout.

FEB81-E86-F8-BE-43-B4-9-E4-F-72-FB5-F3-F34-C4.gif

• Haha
    easy way to strengthen shoulders for what your are explaining without going vegan, sit ups until you burst or buying weights and dumbells

then use the same weight, keeping your arms strait, bring the weight to your hips/legs and then raise it up to about eye level

you dont need power (heavy weight presses) you need endurance

I was just about to say that regarding endurance vs strength. Add in swimming.

Another really good program to consider is Simple & Sinister as devised by Pavel Tsatsouline. It only requires a single kettlebell (of appropriate weight), and then you work through it. The program by itself is 100 one-arm kettlebell swings followed by 10 Turkish getups per day for five days a week. Every fourth workout or so, use the two-handed swing to give your grip a break.

The important part is using sufficient weight, like a 45-60 lb kettlebell. This will tax pretty much every muscle in the body, but particularly hits the grip, arms, core, shoulders, and posterior chain.

Last edited:
    Yes if you are working out for higher intensity performance then simple carbs give you fuel for a more intense work out or event. But most folks engaged in that space already have the baseline diet/health thing figured out. I was addressing general diet patterns for those not already very active, etc so they can get there. But even I eat mostly non-carbs before a workout out, Spartan race, shooting comps, etc as I save them for the post-workout meal.
    Yeah, totally agree. I think even more is that if you have been working out hard enough for long enough, and have a good diet, you start to know what works well for your body and what doesn't. It seems that we are all 99% the same, but that 1% can make a huge difference as you start to push yourself.

Reactions: nn8734
    Yeah, totally agree. I think even more is that if you have been working out hard enough for long enough, and have a good diet, you start to know what works well for your body and what doesn't. It seems that we are all 99% the same, but that 1% can make a huge difference as you start to push yourself.
    You know what motivates me? Getting rid of that sickening feeling of body fat giggling against the abdominal wall with every motherfucking step I took.

I don’t have a gut/fat belt any longer (haven’t for years) but every time I even remotely think about eating shit food, I think about that feeling. Any craving I may have had for pizza or chocolate/ice cream vanishes.

You know what motivates me? Getting rid of that sickening feeling of body fat giggling against the abdominal wall with every motherfucking step I took.

I don’t have a gut/fat belt any longer (haven’t for years) but every time I even remotely think about eating shit food, I think about that feeling. Any craving I may have had for pizza or chocolate/ice cream vanishes.
    I hear that.