• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Exit pupil question

Stringer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
PRK
I have recently become interested in predator hunting. After meeting with local hunters, I found out they mostly hunt coyote at short range (about 50 yds), and in the dark using a spotlight. These hunters use scopes with 50 mm objectives, set at a magnification of 3x or lower. The rationale is that the image needs to be as bright as possible, with a huge FOV. The rifle I am going to use needs an optic anyways, but I wasn't considering a scope with such a big objective.

I understand a big objective collects more light, but when you are at the lowest magnification, isn't the exit pupil too big to for the eye to use all the light?
Am I misunderstanding optics? Or is the big objective truly just a placebo at low magnification?
confused.gif

Re: Exit pupil question

Yep thanks for the great link.

Looks like the eye doesn't really use the extra light, but the perception is is that there is more light.

But, a big exit pupil seems like it could encourage the shooter to be sloppy with cheek weld (but can get a sight picture faster). Dang tradeoffs.