• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

expander die with Hornady lock'n'load bushings

solst_ice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
I'm using a RCBS Supreme with the Hornady lock'n'load insert and equipped all my dies with a Hornady lock'n'load bushing for quick swapping.
I'm thinking about buying a expander die, either the Sinclair Gen II expander die or the 21st Century expander die . But I've got the impression, that there wouldn't be enough space on the die to put on the lock'n'load bushing and the lock-ring when the height of the die is setup accordingly as show here for the 21st century expander die or the Sinclair expander die .
Does someone use those with the hornady lock'n'load system?

I use the Sinclair expander die with the lock’n’load bushings. Works perfect.

Ok, sounds good. Can you move the ramp all the way up ( as shown in the Sinclair video) or do you have to stop carefully before it hits the die to avoid any damage on the case mouth?

Nah, there’s plenty of room for adjustment so you can set it and not worry about hitting the case mouth.

I'm using a RCBS Supreme with the Hornady lock'n'load insert and equipped all my dies with a Hornady lock'n'load bushing for quick swapping.
I'm thinking about buying a expander die, either the Sinclair Gen II expander die or the 21st Century expander die . But I've got the impression, that there wouldn't be enough space on the die to put on the lock'n'load bushing and the lock-ring when the height of the die is setup accordingly as show here for the 21st century expander die or the Sinclair expander die .
Does someone use those with the hornady lock'n'load system?
Same here. I've used original and Get II Sinclair Expander Dies with Lock N' Load with a converted RCBS press for years. Works just fine.

May I ask you guys that are using the expander dies a question? Are you using a full length bushing die to resize the case and reduce the neck ID before using the expander die for final neck sizing? Or do use a different procedure? Thanks.

May I ask you guys that are using the expander dies a question? Are you using a full length bushing die to resize the case and reduce the neck ID before using the expander die for final neck sizing? Or do use a different procedure? Thanks.
I do not use expander dies as part of the reloading process. I leave the expander ball in all my dies and lube inside of the necks with Imperial Dry Neck Lube. Expander mandrels are for neck turning process only here. Also, I don't neck turn for SAAMI chambers. I do turn Lapua 6BR and 6 Dasher brass but only a skim turn.
I also use the expander mandrel on new out of the box brass before I chamfer and debur.