• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expander dies

wyosniper

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
WYOMING
i have a 338 edge, and noticed a lot of my case mouths are out of round. I never have even worried about fixing them just ran them through my Redding full length die with a bushing, but they still are not straight. So I have heard of people using a expander die to uniform the case mouths back to round again and then resize. Could someone point me in the right direction on this and what size of expander mandrel to get, I know it's a 338, but do you get a mandrel that's oversized. thanks

Sinclair Gen II Expander Die will handle all the way too .338. The turning mandrel for you would be .336 (0.002) sized under whereas the expander mandrel is .337 (0.001). I use this die with just a whisper of Imperial Dry Neck Lube with turning mandrel for all my calibers when new or smashed mouth. Polish mandrel after 50 pieces of brass with 800 grit.

If you are going to buy an expander die and mandrel, buy a carbide from PMA tool, no lube, also if you are going to add a step to your process, make it the last step with a undersized mandrel that leaves the correct neck tension you want.

Thanks guys found one gonna try it out, what's the best and easiest neck turner you guys run

Looking at starting this process too to make sure my neck tension is most consistent from one to the next... looking the the sinclair gen 2 and the 21st century ti ni setup.... if i go sinclair i will get carbide but dang its quite a bit more expensive than the standard steel.