• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expected Accuracy for Range/Practice Rimfire Ammo (outside at 50, 100, 200)

Sblzrd65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2020
East Coast, USA
There have been some great recent posts around good group sizes, accuracy, etc for 22lr. They are great for the top of the line, lot tested, indoors where the sun don't shine and the wind doesn't exist, etc. But for "practice" competition ammo, say the SK Standard Plus (yellow), Eley Target (yellow box), maybe toss in Eley Club (orange) as well, RWS Target Rifle, etc. Anything in the $7-9ish, under $10 range, of it's not a plastic bucket but also not costing $150 and up brick premium lines:

1. What's everyone's acceptable accuracy at 50, 100, even 200? What are people happy with consistently getting?
2. How is it looking on paper off props like a ladder, cattle gate, etc?
3. If you're checking with a chronograph, ideal SD/ES to attempt to stay under/within?

Half the distance, one third the spread

Or

Double the distance will triple the spread.

Bulk hi-v 22lr at 200 yards, 12 inches spread for 50 consecutive shots.

Plinking standard velocity at 200 yards, 10 inches spread.

Practice SV 22 LR will show 8 inches at 200 yards.

Decent SV 22lr will show 6 inches at 200 yards

Benchrest 22lr shows 4 inches of spread for 50 shots at 200 yards.

Lot tested match cartridges showed 3 inches of spread at 200 yards for 50 consecutive shots.

Bulk hi-v 22lr
12 inches at 200 yards
4 inches at 100 yards
1.3 inches at 50 yards

Plinking 22 LR
10 inches at 200
3.3 at 100
1.1 inch at 50 yards

Decent 22lr
6 at 200
2 at 100
0.7 inch at 50 yards

Benchrest 22lr
4 inches at 200
1.3 inches at 100
0.4 inches at 50 yards

Lot tested competition grade 22lr
High end custom rifle and rest
3 inches at 200
1 inch at 100
0.3 inch at 50 yards

Real world results, outdoors, off a bench for the others
with bipod and rear bag, 32x scope, full box sent each time

Last edited:
This is from a bench with bipod and rear bag at 50 yds. Group measurements are center to center.

20231014_161258.jpg

20231015_151509.jpg

20231004_200402.jpg

20231004_200520.jpg

20230513_213121.jpg

Last edited:
But for "practice" competition ammo, say the SK Standard Plus (yellow), Eley Target (yellow box), maybe toss in Eley Club (orange) as well, RWS Target Rifle, etc. Anything in the $7-9ish, under $10 range, of it's not a plastic bucket but also not costing $150 and up brick premium lines:

1. What's everyone's acceptable accuracy at 50, 100, even 200? What are people happy with consistently getting?
Consistent results are not to be expected, especially as distance increases. Consistent results can be elusive with top tier grades of match ammo. Lesser grades of match-type .22LR ammo -- the entry level kinds -- generally don't produce consistent results. For example, a few ten shot groups may be good but many will not.

To illustrate, below are a couple of 100 yard targets with SK Rifle Match.

Consistent results are not to be expected, especially as distance increases. Consistent results can be elusive with top tier grades of match ammo. Lesser grades of match-type .22LR ammo -- the entry level kinds -- generally don't produce consistent results. For example, a few ten shot groups may be good but many will not.

To illustrate, below are a couple of 100 yard targets with SK Rifle Match.

I see exactly the same with SK. Eley match has 8/10 tighter, but usually 1 or 2 that open it up almost to SK sizes.

You can prove what is acceptable to you and know what type of shooter you are. Follow The KRAFT Drill and see how you shoot. This will tell you how you need to practice and what you ned to practice. I know I am an average 2MOA shooter. As long as I achieve that while im striving to be better I am good.
menu - This is the main page
blog - This is Chris Ways Blog

Reactions: Sblzrd65
For me getting under 4” at 200 yards 10 shot groups is difficult other than just the occasional group.

Reactions: juliang
I hear ya' RT, but ya' gotta remember....I cheat. :D
I shoot either prone, or off a bench, at a range with 20 foot plus tall berms on 3 sides.
Then I wait for a decent day with minimal winds to mess me up.
And my 32X Mueller might have better resolution than y'er antique Unertl, eh? ;)

There have been some great recent posts around good group sizes, accuracy, etc for 22lr. They are great for the top of the line, lot tested, indoors where the sun don't shine and the wind doesn't exist, etc. But for "practice" competition ammo, say the SK Standard Plus (yellow), Eley Target (yellow box), maybe toss in Eley Club (orange) as well, RWS Target Rifle, etc. Anything in the $7-9ish, under $10 range, of it's not a plastic bucket but also not costing $150 and up brick premium lines:

2. How is it looking on paper off props like a ladder, cattle gate, etc?
3. If you're checking with a chronograph, ideal SD/ES to attempt to stay under/within?
Me and my friends shoot long range steel out to 500yds. we look for hit Percentage on 1 moa to 2 moa targets out to 400yds. For matches we use SK Long Range. For every day shooting we have gone to Eley Contact. It shoots way above it's $5.00 a box price from Killough's. Contact can run +50% hits out to 500yds. SK long range will do better than that. Contact will out shoot Eley Club in my guns.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
G'day Tazmon, these targets were shot with a DIANA 820S dated 1984 /6 groove barrel / harrell tuner set at 200 / Weaver 36 fch/dot scope. Photos of the rifle are on page 69 posts 3403 and 3408 of the rifle photos thread.Yes 90 metres.Scott Australia.

Reactions: Tazmon