• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expected service life of Magpul LR-20?

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
This may seem like a dumb question, but I need to know, as I am in the process of deciding on a supplier for magazines for my MWS. Having never used Magpul products before, I am wondering about the longevity of their magazines' serviceable life. Having never used a plastic mag with good results before(except for the Glock mags, which are steel-lined), I am unsure of how many rounds Magpul's magazines will cycle before wearing to the point of malfunction. Anybody used them to that point?

Also, I am under the impression that C Products is making a SR-25 style magazine out of stainless steel, and have read some decent reviews on them. Anybody use some yet?

Re: Expected service life of Magpul LR-20?

I've had good results with both. I like the MAGPUL's in both the .308 and the .223. In fact the 30rd MAGPULs are all I carry for duty.

I like the C-Products in both the 20 and 10 round flavors. I especially like the 10rd for shooting off the bench and prone.

In my opinion either one is a good choice BUT AS IN ALL FIREARMS CHECK WHICH ONE WORKS IN YOUR STICK

The Magpul 20LR PMAGs are the ONLY mags I run in my DPMS/KAC platform .308 semi-autos. That is simply because they are the ONLY mags that I have received 100% reliability from, including trying different DPMS factory mags and C-Products mags. They are polymer, so zero worries re: rusting/corrosion. They are damn near indestructable (they don't dent or bend like some metal mags are prone to doing), they are lightweight, can be loaded with a full 20 rounds and with the dust covers installed, can be stored that way for extended periods of time with no worries about damage to the mag body/feed lips, and I expect they will last a looooong time, even under reasonable abuse. I don't have any specific numbers for you in terms of the total number of rounds through the mags before failure, etc. (and I doubt they exist), but from my experiences with them, I can verify that they are good for at least over 1k rounds (the highest number of rounds I have through a single LR20 PMAG at this point). If they are anything like their 223/556 counterparts, I have those mags with over 5k rounds through them with no signs/symptoms of wearing out anytime soon.

I agree with ORD, when I asked around about getting into the DPMS 308 platform one thing that was mentioned was go Magpul and dont look back. I now have 300 rnds thought my LR-308 and no malfunctions what so ever and could not be happier. I also use thier 223 PMAGS along with just about every other guy on my team and drill after drill zip zero nada problems out of any of them even after being dropped and stepped on.

Thanks guys, they sound like the way to go. I just wanted some feedback before dropping the cash on a bunch of them. Guess I'll get a couple and try them out, and get a bunch if they work in my gun.

Direct from Magpul, "...maintains a service life round count approximately equal to the rifle barrel itself."