• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing expedient 1911 frontstrap

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
stumbled on a quick fix this weekend for a bare slippy frontstrap on a 1911. i cut a bike inner tube at a similar angle as the grips long enought to just cover from the trigger guard down to just above mag well opening in front. i removed the grip panels, slipped it over making sure it fits below the grip safety in back, pricked holes for the grip screw inserts and then attached grip panels back on over it. turned out way better than i had guessed, glad i tried it on a whim. i like it way better than skater tape. next i need tritium!

Re: expedient 1911 frontstrap

skateboard tape works great too, I bought a whole board of it several years ago, still using it as needed.

If you have girly hands, it'll chew them up; otherwise it works great.

+1 on the skateboard tape. I've used it on my Kimber Classic Custom Series I for years, and never had a problem or slip.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like it way better than skater tape</div></div>

guess the other two guys didnt really read what ya wrote.

I once used a innertube to rubberize coat a BSA scope to make it all armor tuff, then i used it as a field expediant fufu, jus sayin

skateboard tape works. but the metal front strap sold by Wilson is better! check it out.

All it takes is 30-40 hours to learn how to checker a front strap. oh, and +/-$200 in files and fixtures from Brownells. Oh and Advil for the sore muscles and a cortisone shot or 2. I now know why they charge big bucks to do this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like it way better than skater tape</div></div>

I once used a innertube to rubberize coat a BSA scope to make it all armor tuff, then i used it as a field expediant fufu, jus sayin </div></div>

Nope, didn't read the whole original post.

And, in case anyone missed it, skateboard tape works well too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like it way better than skater tape</div></div>

I once used a innertube to rubberize coat a BSA scope to make it all armor tuff, then i used it as a field expediant fufu, jus sayin </div></div>

Nope, didn't read the whole original post.

And, in case anyone missed it, skateboard tape works well too. </div></div>

What about skateboard tape?? Have you tried that?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcoop8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All it takes is 30-40 hours to learn how to checker a front strap. oh, and +/-$200 in files and fixtures from Brownells. Oh and Advil for the sore muscles and a cortisone shot or 2. I now know why they charge big bucks to do this. </div></div>

I checkered the front strap and main spring housing of my first 1911. It came out awesome. So all my buddies wanted theirs done. The first was a SS Colt. Ughh! Very bad idea... That thing was hard as nails. But, once you start...

Haven't done another. My hands *still* hurt.

John

ETA: My dad bought an old competition 1911 back in the early 60's. It had been stippled with a needle punch.
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It had been stippled with a needle punch.
shocked.gif
</div></div>

I'm "this close" to trying my hand at stippling my CZ75, but like you said, "once you start"......

I'm a fan of skate tape if noone's suggested that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a fan of anything 'rubbery' on my guns, but hey, to each their own.

-matt </div></div>

cant agree, i love hogue and pachmyr. most hanguns ive owned wore wraparounds. rubber is grippy and much warmer on cold hands in icy environs. ive handled wet and sometimes bloody rubber grips without a hitch. i do think this falls into personal preference but im unsure why so many prefer wrongly,lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As mentioned above, the Wilson Combat add-on front strap is the next best thing to the real thing. And it's ten bucks. Come on guys . . .

100s.jpg

Blued or Stainless, your choice </div></div>

AND... it can be secured with skateboard tape!!! WIN!!
grin.gif

John

+1 I put some skateboard tape on my Kimber Classic custom about 6 or 7 years ago. I had some custom work done on the 1911, but decided to keep the tape instead of spend the money to get checkering work done, as it provide extremely good traction and was very cost effective.

JeffVN

I shoot USPSA all the time and use Skate Board tape on my guns in many places and it works really well, very easy to replace when it slips a little.....

Although I'm a fan of skate tape, if you really want to do it right get the commercial tape they make for stair risers. I'm trying to find a small amount 'casue my skate tape's lifing on my CZ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although I'm a fan of skate tape, if you really want to do it right get the commercial tape they make for stair risers. I'm trying to find a small amount 'casue my skate tape's lifing on my CZ. </div></div>

Funny, I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried that abrasive tape they make for RV steps. Camping World catalog is your friend.

John

I probably checker 150-200 frontstraps a month with no aching muscles or blisters. Just a little help from my Haas VF2. However even with access to any frontstap treatment available I have a Colt Gov. model in 9mm with skateboard tape on the frontstrap.

i like it way better than skater tape. [/quote]

guess nobody read this or they arbitrarily decided to make this thread an ode to skater tape?

hey I'll chime in, have ya tried skater tape? I ignore your comments and input my skater tape love affair full steam ahead, confucious once say "I disregard your reality and subsitute my own"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey I'll chime in, have ya tried skater tape? I ignore your comments and input my skater tape love affair full steam ahead, confucious once say "I disregard your reality and subsitute my own" </div></div>
confuse us my arse, china man at walmart say no skater tape. these are not the droids youre looking for.

what do they call that black stuff thats sandpapery on one side and sticky on the other? kids put in on those things that they ride with wheels, oh what do they call them?