• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

expensive .22 scope?

Pygmycoho1

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2009
North texas
I've read several threads about scopes along with cost and how they are always "good for the money". What would you use for a high end .22 trainer. That would fit the application well, not just expensive. But of course money not an object.

Example: I have a uso st-10 but it won't focus down under 100 so that's out.

Re: expensive .22 scope?

If that is what you want, send it back to USO tell them what your plan is and they can reset the parallax for you at 25/50 yards or wherever you want it.

Problem solved.

swarovski, leupold and lesser nikon has a new bdc 22 rimfire scope but will not have the glass of the others.

Vortex, SWFA SS, Nikon Buckmasters/Monarchs, Bushnell Elites...

I've been thinking about a zeiss conquest.
Had vipers on a couple of rimfires. I guess it is all relative to what someone thinks is expensive. On some of the rimfire sites, guys think 300 is expensive for a scope, but most of them dont rack the knobs to get out to 200 or more and back to 50 all the time.

I used to have a Bushnell Elite on my 17. That scope was so sweet. Wish I still had it.

Ideally, you'd use the same model scope on your trainer as on your centerfire rifle. Same knobs and adjustments... etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ideally, you'd use the same model scope on your trainer as on your centerfire rifle. Same knobs and adjustments... etc. </div></div>

YUP!

So you can buy a USO on request that will go down to 25/50 yards? I don't remember seeing that as a option, just looked it up and its not there. And to be clear I see parallax adjustment a must for a good .22 scope. I agree that a copy of your other rifles scope would be good, but that doesn't mean it will be best for your 22. I guess I should have titled it best .22 trainer scope bar none.

Best bar none, is going to be a S,B or simailar in 3-12 or 4-16 with your choice of reticle and knobs.
in the sub 2-3k range i would choose a
bushnell elite tactical 3-12 ffp
leupold mk5 2.5-8, 4.5-14
nf 2.5-10 x 32 w/zs

with the conquest, be aware of your limited elevation adjustment-- only 40-42 moa

Leupold will change the parallax for $15 or $25 cannot remember.

I had mine changed on my VX-3 and set to 65yds turn around was two weeks.

I have a couple of Leupold 4x12x40 AO. I even sent one back to Leupold and had target knobs installed. They also adjust parallax free down to 25yds. I also run a Nightforce 8x32x56 with an NPR2. I had Nightforce build the scope so the parallax would adjust down to 45yds. If I'm out shooting dots I really enjoy the extra power of the Nightforce, and it tracks absolutely perfectly. The Leupolds are nice lightweight scopes and hold zero fine, but the Nightforce scope is awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ideally, you'd use the same model scope on your trainer as on your centerfire rifle. Same knobs and adjustments... etc. </div></div>
exactly

Many considerations aside, I think the option of a high end scope depends on your application.

To my narrow little mind, the words 'trainer' and 'high-end' tend to be mutually exclusive terms.

A trainer, IMHO, is supposed to be more of a generic, high usage, familier-to-the hand tool. While high end components may be something to treasure, they add little to the central task.

Kinda like lipstick on a pig. Pigs is useful, but lipstick?

I would rather have several identical cheaper generic scopes onhand, ready to be swapped out if some questions or concerns arise; and reserve something far more impeccable for a more precision rifle dedicated to a more precision application, like competion, etc.

This is my approach, and time after time, every time I thought I had a scope problem it actually turned out to be a 'me problem'.

I guess it comes down to a personal preference of mine for a simpler, more affordable modularity in a basic, heavily used implement.

Sorta like my Father's axe that he brought over with him from Sweden in the early 1900's. From time to time a handle or a head would need to be replaced, but it's still my Father's old axe and he used the heck out of it. Even when abused, it could be easily restored to a highly functional state. Actually possible he got it from his Dad. Always dependable, often imitated, seldom surpassed.

Greg

I actually called USO and it is true they will make whatever you want. They can make your adjustable parallax go down to 50 or even less and still be adjustable. This seems to me like the best option for someone who already runs a USO. Plus the customer service was great. I forgot what good customer service was like. Consider thread closed.

All S&B PMII scopes will focus down to 10 meters. They all have incredible optics and perfect tracking mechanisms. You can choose from 3x on the low side up to 50x on the high side. If price is no object for a rimfire rifle scope - the buck stops here.

Hensholdt, Zeiss Diavari, & Premier do not focus down to 10 meters so that pretty much rules them out for all around .22 use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All S&B PMII scopes will focus down to 10 meters. They all have incredible optics and perfect tracking mechanisms. You can choose from 3x on the low side up to 50x on the high side. If price is no object for a rimfire rifle scope - the buck stops here.

Hensholdt, Zeiss Diavari, & Premier do not focus down to 10 meters so that pretty much rules them out for all around .22 use.</div></div>

All? I thought it was only the 5-25?

I've been asking my self the same question. As the OP. I have a Weaver 3-10 mil/mil, it's nice and all, but I have been spoiled by my S&B 5-25.

What scopes out there are mil/mil and have low focus point, mainly 50 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All S&B PMII scopes will focus down to 10 meters. They all have incredible optics and perfect tracking mechanisms. You can choose from 3x on the low side up to 50x on the high side. If price is no object for a rimfire rifle scope - the buck stops here.

Hensholdt, Zeiss Diavari, & Premier do not focus down to 10 meters so that pretty much rules them out for all around .22 use.</div></div>

I've been asking my self the same question. As the OP. I have a Weaver 3-10 mil/mil, it's nice and all, but I have been spoiled by my S&B 5-25.

What scopes out there are mil/mil and have low focus point, mainly 50 yards? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Iggy</span></span> -

You are correct, and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">dieselten</span></span> is incorrect. The only PMII that will focus down to 10 meters is the 5-25X. The next closest is the new PMII 3-20X 50mm (according to S & B's PMII 3-20X 50mm data sheet, the PMII 3-20X focuses down to 25 meters). The 4-16Xs' and the 3-12Xs'focus down to 50 meters, NOT 10 meters.

I'm sure that there are others, but aside from the PMII 4-16X and 3-12X models off the top of my head and from my own experience I know that the Premier Heritages and the Falcon Menaces will focus down to 50 meters from the factory <span style="font-style: italic">without special adjustment or modification.</span>

Keith

It does NOT require to buy a new scope from USO, just send what you have back with a request to readjust the parallax to whatever you choose.

Problem solved as in the first reply.

I would agree with Greg on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many considerations aside, I think the option of a high end scope depends on your application.

To my narrow little mind, the words 'trainer' and 'high-end' tend to be mutually exclusive terms.

A trainer, IMHO, is supposed to be more of a generic, high usage, familier-to-the hand tool. While high end components may be something to treasure, they add little to the central task.

Kinda like lipstick on a pig. Pigs is useful, but lipstick?

I would rather have several identical cheaper generic scopes onhand, ready to be swapped out if some questions or concerns arise; and reserve something far more impeccable for a more precision rifle dedicated to a more precision application, like competion, etc.

This is my approach, and time after time, every time I thought I had a scope problem it actually turned out to be a 'me problem'.

I guess it comes down to a personal preference of mine for a simpler, more affordable modularity in a basic, heavily used implement.

Sorta like my Father's axe that he brought over with him from Sweden in the early 1900's. From time to time a handle or a head would need to be replaced, but it's still my Father's old axe and he used the heck out of it. Even when abused, it could be easily restored to a highly functional state. Actually possible he got it from his Dad. Always dependable, often imitated, seldom surpassed.

Greg </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pygmycoho1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read several threads about scopes along with cost and how they are always "good for the money". What would you use for a high end .22 trainer. That would fit the application well, not just expensive. But of course money not an object.

Example: I have a uso st-10 but it won't focus down under 100 so that's out. </div></div>
I've been waiting, and I am still waiting - for a 40X .22 Rimfire Repeater action clone to come to market. The magazine feeding seems to be the holdup right now. When the time comes I have my scope ready - a PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR 0.1 MIL CCW. My goal is to have a full size .22 RF to mimick my Tac Ops X-Ray 51 right down to the re-worked McMillan A5, and my X-Ray 51 wears a PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR 0.1 MIL CCW. For now my "spare" PMII 5-25X sits on top of a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Murphy Precision Two-Piece 25 MOA Base</span></span> in NEAR Manufacturing Rings on my Kimber Model 82B.

An often-overlooked feature of the PMII 5-25X is that it focuses down to 10 meters (33 feet). Both of mine focus to just under 32 feet, and I can easily dry-fire in the house at 25X in perfect focus. And on a still air day when shooting out to 400 yards is feasible, the 5-25X sitting on top of my Kimber Model 82C Classic dials the 20 MILs to 400 yards with more to spare. If theres' no mirage I can see the "splash" and lead marks on the Desert Ram's head at 300 yards.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kimber of Oregon Model 82C Classic w/PMII 5-25X, Murphy Precision Two-Piece 25 MOA Base</span>, and NEAR Manufacturing Rings:
Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XLS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All S&B PMII scopes will focus down to 10 meters. They all have incredible optics and perfect tracking mechanisms. You can choose from 3x on the low side up to 50x on the high side. If price is no object for a rimfire rifle scope - the buck stops here.

What scopes out there are mil/mil and have low focus point, mainly 50 yards? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Iggy</span></span> -

You are correct, and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">dieselten</span></span> is incorrect. The only PMII that will focus down to 10 meters is the 5-25X. The next closest is the new PMII 3-20X 50mm (according to S & B's PMII 3-20X 50mm data sheet, the PMII 3-20X focuses down to 25 meters). The 4-16Xs' and the 3-12Xs'focus down to 50 meters, NOT 10 meters.

I'm sure that there are others, but aside from the PMII 4-16X and 3-12X models off the top of my head and from my own experience I know that the Premier Heritages and the Falcon Menaces will focus down to 50 meters from the factory <span style="font-style: italic">without special adjustment or modification.</span>

Keith </div></div>

Actually Aries is wrong also. The PMII 12-50 will focus down to 10 meters.

I half agree with Greg on this. Although I don't advocate buying a CenterPoint or Tasco scope for your trainer, I think the same type of reticle and knobs is very important. If you're running a mil/mil scope for your rifle, you should have a mil/mil trainer instead of a moa/mil or moa/fine plex setup. It just doesn't do your training justice.

To me it's like training in hand to hand combat by punching a bag. Doesn't make sense.

I would be the first to recognize that my view would/should not be the common one.

For me, it's about goals.

My goals are to train in a manner which is not dependent on a specialized setup. I would rather the skills be generic, and applicable across the range of applications and implements.

This is not to criticize training for a particular platform. I just think it's rather more about the Indian, and not so much about the Arrow...; unless we choose to make it so...

Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40 EFR (extended focus range), It was sent to Premier for a FFP mil dot reticle. It now resides on my Savage 17 HMR with Tacticool stock, and works great for varmints.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All S&B PMII scopes will focus down to 10 meters. They all have incredible optics and perfect tracking mechanisms. You can choose from 3x on the low side up to 50x on the high side. If price is no object for a rimfire rifle scope - the buck stops here.

Keith </div></div>

Actually Aries is wrong also. The PMII 12-50 will focus down to 10 meters. </div></div>
Ooops - you <span style="font-style: italic">"got"</span> me there. I completely forgot about the PMII 12-50X, which is still pretty new on the scene and whos' configuration options make it much less popular than the other PMII scopes.

Keith