• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expensive mistake?

IrishFan425

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2021
WA
FNG here. Purchased my first firearm (AR-15) recently. After the first range trip I decided to learn how to clean my weapon. Did a fair amount of research and video watching but apparently attention to detail is something you can't always teach as I took a chamber brush and ran it through the barrel 3 times before noticing what I did. Did I ruin the barrel? It's chrome moly btw. Appreciate any feedback and welcome the heat as well, I definitely earned it.

Reactions: rottenruger
Clean as normal and check for debris. I have over the years used the wrong brush without damage a couple of times.

I have learned to drink less while cleaning them. Lol

So for a good laugh.
How many passes does it take to clean a 6.5 barrel with a 223 brush?

I got through beer # 2 and thought that bore should be clean by now.

Put brush in wrong container. lol

Htf did you get that thing down the barrel? Was it a bore snake by chance?

FNG here. Purchased my first firearm (AR-15) recently. After the first range trip I decided to learn how to clean my weapon. Did a fair amount of research and video watching but apparently attention to detail is something you can't always teach as I took a chamber brush and ran it through the barrel 3 times before noticing what I did. Did I ruin the barrel? It's chrome moly btw. Appreciate any feedback and welcome the heat as well, I definitely earned it.

Its probably fine.

Just do not do it again.

BTW. congratulations on your new rifle, I hope you will be enjoying it for a long time.

I cant imagine there was much of any damage done with 3 passes. I doubt the lands in grooves were hurt maybe some minor scratches in the chamber area. chrome moly considerably harder than the bronze brush that was pushed through. Curious as to how you did not second guess what was going on after you started brush down the barrel the first time lol. Good shooting!!!

Man I bet that fucker was a tight fit, I also bet you were grunting like a cave man with a bowel obstruction trying to push it through that little .224 hole! It's more than likely fine, give it a good visual look over and drive on.

I'm glad some people post their fuckups.

Me... I just try to keep them to myself/close friends, and wonder how I've survived this long,( firearm related and otherwise... mainly the otherwise part).

There was this one time that I ..... lest I digress from the original storyline.

I'm glad some people post their fuckups.

Me... I just try to keep them to myself/close friends, and wonder how I've survived this long,( firearm related and otherwise... mainly the otherwise part).

There was this one time that I ..... lest I digress from the original storyline.
I'd rather KNOW it was an insignificant brain fart then assume it was and then proceed to max out my health care in one shot

This isn’t the place for actual help. This is SnipersHide. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You rammed one of these guys all the way through the barrel?

223__57643.1464575576.1280.1280.jpg

I take it you work out lol

Like the others said, run a patch and see if you get bits if shiny rifle on it, maybe (make sure it’s unloaded) put a light in the chamber and see if the bore looks smooth

Going forward, never force anything, there shouldn’t be anything that requires that much force

It's fine. these guys worried about the lining apparently don't actually shoot their guns much. I'm betting a few rounds of .223 would be a little harder on it than you could with that brush.

You didn’t notice in those videos that a hammer wasn’t part of the “cleaning kit” 😁

Reactions: RTH1800
I fire once, let the barrel cool for 24 hours, then start scrubbing the barrel using a bore brush attached to a drill. I find 900 rpm works great. After about a month of this I am able to use .308 in my 5.56 barrel.
omg i am literally crying im laughing so hard.
you guys are Merciless!! lol

OP, grats on the new rifle and welcome to the rabbit hole =)
the decent is quick but don't worry it never ends and we are always here to help!

on a side note, my Dad shoved a 223 brush halfway thru a 22 lr rifle...I still cant get that fucker out...so OP it could be worse....

ya, pops saw .223 and figured all things starting with .22 are the same...

They are in my book. I use brushes out of the same 3 pack for both. Maybe I'm using 22 for 223 but don't think so. My only thought other than that is that the 22 is so damn fouled that its that hard to push through.

Reactions: RTH1800
Haha. No. It did require a bit of a push at first but went through just fine after that. Reason for that though is because the chamber bristles are much more aerodynamic now (cone shaped) :LOL:.
And pray tell ... which YouTube video did you watch that showed you how to run the chamber brush all the way through your barrel? Just curious ... LOL ... I'm sure it's fine. Just clean it right, and go shoot it (don't forget to wear your eye-protection and maybe some gloves ... just in case).

You’re gonna need a new chamber brush...fng! No need to check for carbon ring.....as you probably got the carbon and 1/2 throat cleaned out of it!

That said....post your next groups. If you put 5 shots under 0.3”, I might pay you to push a chamber brush through my 6PPC...o_Oo_O The others will be begging you to do the same. I don’t have enough a$$ to do that!

It's fucked. Send it to me for safe disposal.

Seriously, it's fine. Don't worry about it.

on a side note, my Dad shoved a 223 brush halfway thru a 22 lr rifle...I still cant get that fucker out...so OP it could be worse....
Sounds like more fake news. If that 22 lr is that dirty maybe dump some Eliminator down it and let it set for a couple of days then drive it on through.