• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience/ reviews for the SAVAGE MSR 10 LONG RANGE

mkris101

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2018
I just purchased a Savage MSR 10 Long range and waiting for it to be delivered. I considered building an AR10 that is “loosely” based on SASS. For the money and features, the MSR seemed to offer a nice package out of the box. 20” heavy fluted Barrel with 5R rifling , Adjustable gas block, PRS stock and a side charging handle. Seems the street price was anywhere between $1,750 to 2,400 but I got lucky and found one for 1,650!

There doesn’t seem to be a lot reviews out there for this rifle. Anyone have experience with this Weapon? Likes /dislikes? Any suggested upgrades or tweaks? Gas block settings, ammo choices ? Any info you can provide will be helpful

I got mine last month. 6.5 CM 22". I've been breaking it in, but have seen a lot of promise with three shot groups around 1/2 Moa +/-. I've shot Hornady match 120 eld, 140 eld and some norma 130 match. Seems to like them all. I'm leaning toward 140 eld's for the bc's. Chrono'd at around 1700 fps. We'll see how it goes, but so far I'm very impressed. The rifle shoots very smooth, very low recoil and the best trigger I've had on an AR. Throw out the grip, it totally sucks. I upgraded to a sierra precision grip and an armaspec 45deg safety. I have the gas at 11 turns using a TBA Ultra7 30 suppressor. The rifle design is fantastic and I would choose this rifle over any semi at double the price. Except my Scar, but that is a different animal. There really isn't a lot to upgrade, it's got everything I would want except an ambi bolt release. As I get time, I'll report it's progress. So far so good.

Reactions: bigjake83
That's good to hear! what do you think about the side charging handle function?
Are you using MOA mounts for your scope? will it need Extra high mounts for long scopes?

I love side chargers. The savage is very nice. My favorite is the scar even though it reciprocates. I borrowed my vortex razor gen 1 off my trg, so I left the 1 inch tall rings attached and got a cheap weaver 20moa scope base from Graf's. Overall height would be 1.5" which is standard ar15 height. Plenty of room for a 50mm objective. I plan eventually to get a different scope for my trg or the savage, so I would probably go with a one piece mount from Era-Tac, Spuhr, or Nightforce at 1.5".

The MSR precision rifle has most of the upgrades you'd want our of the box, save maybe a trigger that fits your style and possibly different buffer spring/buffer weight. I'm hoping that Savage keeps improving aftermarket upgrades with other partner companies (charging handles, foreends, BCGs) but I'm not holding my breath.

I've got an MSR10 Hunter model that is now a "precision" model in all ways except side charging handle. New barrel, new trigger, PRS stock (gen 3 like on the precision version).

Have been super happy with the rifle with the sole exception of the difficulty in locating a barrel nut wrench that fits the MSR system. I resorted to using a wheeler wrench castle nut side which is VERY close to a perfect fit but not exactly designed for use on barrel nuts.

Reactions: GONE BAD
Subwrx. did you change your barrel to a 20" ? I understand that it can use DPMS style barrels

The MSR precision rifle has most of the upgrades you'd want our of the box, save maybe a trigger that fits your style and possibly different buffer spring/buffer weight. I'm hoping that Savage keeps improving aftermarket upgrades with other partner companies (charging handles, foreends, BCGs) but I'm not holding my breath.

I've got an MSR10 Hunter model that is now a "precision" model in all ways except side charging handle. New barrel, new trigger, PRS stock (gen 3 like on the precision version).

Have been super happy with the rifle with the sole exception of the difficulty in locating a barrel nut wrench that fits the MSR system. I resorted to using a wheeler wrench castle nut side which is VERY close to a perfect fit but not exactly designed for use on barrel nuts.

The MSR10 LR is preparatory by design.
There are basics you can change: triggers, barrels, bolt heads, stocks and grips but as far as bcg, I don't think so.

The upper and lower are a cross between a full-size AR10 and the AR15. The bcg is it's own thing.
0825170725.jpg

The one in the middle is the MSR 10 BCG.

The FGMM 168 shoot really good at 2626 av. The 175 FGMM not as good. Savage only push this ammo understandably.
I'm trying to get 178 eldx's to work, may try changing things up with a heavier buffer system?

Subwrx. did you change your barrel to a 20" ? I understand that it can use DPMS style barrels

I did. Currently have a 22" 6.5 Creed Dracos barrel on it but also have a 20" Aeroprecision 6.5 Creed. Stock 18" is in the closet for coyote hunting/lightweight setup.

The MSR10 LR is preparatory by design.
There are basics you can change: triggers, barrels, bolt heads, stocks and grips but as far as bcg, I don't think so.

The upper and lower are a cross between a full-size AR10 and the AR15. The bcg is it's own thing.View attachment 6891264

The one in the middle is the MSR 10 BCG.
That's correct. I started a thread somewhere on here after I started tinkering, to note compatibility. It's kind of a blend of the actual AR10 by Armalite and the DPMS 308. Lower and buffer tube are the Armalite variety. And the bolt/barrel are DPMS pattern. Rest of pretty much compatible with appropriate AR10/15 parts except the handguard which is proprietary, as is the barrel nut (at least to my knowledge).

Looks good. Looking for range report.

I have a hard getting to a range but maybe next week?

I'm curious about the Precision variant too. OP, please post results/pics from range. Also, if using factory ammo, I had okay results with factory Hornady 140 (.7-.9") but much better results with factory 120 ELDM, 130 Federal Hybrid GMM and actually American Eagle 140BTHP.

My handloads are 123 SMK, 123 ELDM and 130 Hybrid (average of -+.6") The 140's didn't stay quite as consistent as I'd like with the factory barrel but that was an 18" tube. Happy to share the loads I've found with my 22" Dracos if you want them.

That is a Hogue. Cheap and feels great. Tried the Magpul MOE, Ergogrip and the stock grip and liked this the best. I might like a bit more vertical grip if I could find the right fit but this one works well for combo of prone and walking control.