• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience w/ Remington 742 or 750 woodsmaster?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Anyone own one or have any experience with Remington's 742 or 750 woodsmaster? The Carbine version in .308 is calling to me for some reason.

Accuracy? Reliability? Are there any after-market mags out there that hold more than 5 rounds?

Thanks!

Re: Experience w/ Remington 742 or 750 woodsmaster?

Well where to start? I had a 742 carbine in 30-06 for aprox. 6 months. Accuracy was 2-4 moa. even with handloads. It took two small draft animals to have the power to actually pull the trigger(shitty trigger). Then one morning I woke up and shot at a yote. The shell didn't extract but the bolt did tear the base off the brass!It then started doing this on nearly every shot after a while. Smith said it had developed slop in the chamber and was binding up? thats just what the man said. Wound up selling it at a gun show for parts after the bolt got stuck in the rear of the receiver. And as far as mags go its hit or miss most of the time. However there are some folks out there putting heavy barrels and such on them. Wouldn't mind trying one of those out.

I'm not saying they where all as bad as mine was. Just relaying my experiences so dont' shoot the messanger.

There are those who love them i guess. Can't see them being accurate.

Had some buddies that called them Scattermatics.

For what I have seen of them, give me a sling-shot. I would not put the first nickle in a Remington Auto rifle. There are simply better choices.

I have a 7400 full size in 270 that stays right at 1.5-1.75moa with Winchester 140gr silver-tip boat tails (that they don't make anymore) and I also have a 760 carbine in 308 with a KDF muzzle break I had gotten for the wife to use (which never happened), it will hold right at 1.5 moa with fed premium 150gr bal tip. I will say I played around a lot testing factory loads to find the best one for each gun. but then I buy 2-3 cases of them when I find what it likes.

Ether one is great for the hunting I do in Alabama and Florida Less than 200 yds, and both have done there share of filling the freezer.

I do like the BAR and have to hear about it whenever I go to Alabama (them boy's up there love them)but I don't like the extra pounds they weigh and I have yet to miss what I was shooting at.

at least that is my .02

Dennis

I own/owned 4s, 742s, 750s, R1s, M8s, M81s, M-1s, G43s, FALs, ARs and now a Merkel SR-1. The Merkel is the best of the lot. It's a 9.3x62 and will put 3 in less than 1" with a 1.4-4 scope. Barnes TSXs, Accubonds and Speers from 210 to 270 grs will all go in 2.5" with the same load of 4064. Only downside is 3 shot capacity but if I plan to get in a fight I take my AR 10.

Satellite.jpg

I bought a 750 with synthetic stock and standard length barrel on Dec. 30, 2008. On Jan. 2, returned to store because the hammer wouldn't fall when trigger was pulled. Adjusted by 'smith. On Jan 5, returned to store because it wouldn't feed from magazine. Sent back to Remington. Received from Remington in mid-March. Took it to the range the next day, still wouldn't feed from magazine. Returned to store, received full credit, bought a Browning BAR Synthetic Stalker, .308 Win, 20" barrel. My first Browning. Shoots anything I put in the magazine, no FTF's or FTE's in 200 rounds. I haven't looked back. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Screw Remington semi-auto rifles</span></span>. There is simply NO good reason to put up with that kind of
000201D8.gif

Oh, the trigger sucked, too.

I have one in 30-06. It is old, was my dad's and has never been cleaned. It would not be my first choice, or my second for that matter, but I do have several 10 round mags for it and it has taken many a hog in its day. I understand that some were OK, and others never worked at all. The later ones had aluminum recievers that would get gouged out by the bcg so they had a limited lifespan. Mine is steel. No way would I buy one because there is no way to know if it will work or not.

I bought a beat up one at a gun show that shoots an inch and works just fine. It's not my first choice but if it's going to be a day busting brush I will use it.