• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with a fully built Shilen rifle?

OneShot89

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Lubbock, Texas
Hey guys, I just joined up and thought I'd get some opinions.

I'm trying to decide between a fully built Shilen DGR (or maybe just a barreled shilen action or something of the like) and a Rem 700 build. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the DGR, or DGV for that matter, and just general thoughts about the rifle. I know a lot of people use them for match and benchrest shooting but my application for it would be a bit more practical.

I know there are a million combinations of parts that will make a good 700 but, for now, I'm most interested in finding info on the Shilen.

Thanks guys

Love mine, couldn't be happier. I get all the accessories of the 700 with the abilty to swap barrels if I choose to.

Got a DGA-M WITH 7 barrels, caliber a 22-250AI, 30-338Mag, 7mm-STW, .300 UltraMag, .375 H&H, .458 Win Mag, shoots great, like to swap barrels - change calibers, damn accurate, precision machine work. If possible, I'd try a Shilen DGR. Mine's the one Ed Shilen made back in the 70's.

My gunsmith has always led me in the hart direction, but i picked up a barreled 700 long action with a shilen in 260 for a song and had it blue printed and re chambered to 6.5-06. This is now the most accurate rifle i own. I have shot several 5 shot groups in the .1moa's. It amazes me every time i squeeze the trigger. That being said, my next build is going to have a hart.