• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with auto trimmers

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Still trying to shave time off the reload process. Anyone have experiences to share about using an auto trimmer? I'm looking at the Lyman and currently have the Hornady manual trimmer.
*I should also mention sometimes I get a weird slight wobble during trimming with the Hornady, the end of the case mouth is sort of smashed for lack of a better work. Trying to figure out at what speed to turn the handle in combination with how much pressure to push in with. Leaves a lot to be cleaned off during champfer and deburring. Especially with once fires LC 5.56 brass that has a crimp in the mouth.

Last edited:
Do you mean powered trimmers generally, or is there a new automatic trimming do-dad I need to look into?

Either way, I favour something with a three way cutting head. Trim-chamfer-deburr all with one touch of the brass. That will save you some time.

Reactions: 1moaoff
I bought the giraud trimmer and have never looked back. Takes about 1-2 seconds to trim, chamfer, and debur a case. The setup is pricey for sure but worth every penny. They also sell a tri way setup that is about $100 but it is caliber specific and chucks in to a drill.

I bought the giraud trimmer and have never looked back. Takes about 1-2 seconds to trim, chamfer, and debur a case. The setup is pricey for sure but worth every penny. They also sell a tri way setup that is about $100 but it is caliber specific and chucks in to a drill.
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 1.09.51 PM.png

My first big reloading purchase was a giraurd trimmer. Best money I have spent. I never measure cases to see if they need trimmed. Now I just run cases through the giraurd each firing because it is so much faster and keeps them all the same. It is the one thing that has improved my reloading speed more than anything else:

The Worlds Finest Trimmer, Worlds Cheapest Trimmer, and Trim it II are all trimmers you add to your own drill. The Trim it II I believe chamfers and deburs while trimming.

I too run a Giraud, worth every penny but is an investment, I have heard the Giraud tri-way trimmer is good and much less expensive, it trims, chamfers and deburrs.

I have the 21st Century lathe as well and it is an excellent machine.
And you can neck turn with it. I think it is my favorite tool mounted on the bench. Definently one of the better investments I have made in reloading equipment.

Another vote for Giraud if you're doing a lot of brass in one cartridge family. I only shoot enough 223 to justify it, but it has been a massive time saver. Mine leaves some marks on the case body, just a heads up if you're anal about cases looking perfect.

The fact that the Giraud trims, champfers and deburrs at the same time is awesome. That is big money though.

I got a Giraud Powered Case trimmer about 8 years ago and it is by far the best investment I have made in reloading tools. Never tried the Henderson but the Giraud is one piece of equipment I won't sell.

I have a Giraurd and have used gloves to reduce the impact on my fingers/hands....the vibration kind of sucks (for me at least) after a bit.

But I ran across this and it works wonderfully...was looking for something like the collet/shell holder that Henderson trimmer uses and found this from K&M.

1634827879981.png

1634827937782.png

1634827992578.png

This just a Lee auto-prime shell holder that they sell to go with their kit

1634828055889.png

Put it together and it looks like this...between a 1/16th and an 18th of a turn of the "power grip" is all that's needed to secure or release a shell. Its fast, simple, and really saves my hands

1634828191692.png

1634828237223.png

Another Giraud owner here. I've had one for almost 10 years now and probably gone through a dozen calibers. All my shell holders are set up with lock rings so I just have to swap cutter heads and tighten down the shell holder to swap calibers. It takes me under a minute. O don't think I'll ever get rid of it. If the motor burns out, I'll buy another. It's the best piece of gear on my reloading bench!

Edit: they do also make the Tri-way Trimmer that chucks into a drill. The downside is the trimmer is only made for certain calibers. Last I checked, they didn't offer one for any Creedmoor cartridge, or Dasher, or anything other than 223, 308, 30-06, etc

Last edited:
The fact that the Giraud trims, champfers and deburrs at the same time is awesome. That is big money though.

Yes, and for a little more $$ one can get the 21st century mini lathe. The extras are not that much and it will 3 way trim and allow one to turn necks if they want. It is a simple swap of a cutter body.

I bought the Lyman power trimmer to use until my Giraud backorder is delivered. No complaints. Works fine.
Just a note to a new buyer....Doug Giraurd decided that he couldn't figure out how to manage a 15% cost increase ),aybe $20-30 max) in the sealed bearing motors he has used since 2003 and returned to the motor that requires a bit of oiling.

It is NOT a huge deal....once/twice a year, depending on usage rate, put a drop or two of oil in the slot for the bearings.

But, I found the facts that he never let back ordered customers know about this change, his documentation/site still says that he changed to sealed in 2003, and he seems to have never considered: providing customers the option of which motor/price, eating the cost increase, raising the price, or splitting the difference on this reasonably small motor cost increase.

So, I now have the non-sealed motor but the unit works just the very same (which IMO is great...particularly if you use the K&M tool to isolate your hand from the cutter vibration).

Just me, I guess....at 69 I'm finding that I'm pretty easily annoyed these days! haha

Just a note to a new buyer....Doug Giraurd decided that he couldn't figure out how to manage a 15% cost increase ),aybe $20-30 max) in the sealed bearing motors he has used since 2003 and returned to the motor that requires a bit of oiling.

It is NOT a huge deal....once/twice a year, depending on usage rate, put a drop or two of oil in the slot for the bearings.

But, I found the facts that he never let back ordered customers know about this change, his documentation/site still says that he changed to sealed in 2003, and he seems to have never considered: providing customers the option of which motor/price, eating the cost increase, raising the price, or splitting the difference on this reasonably small motor cost increase.

So, I now have the non-sealed motor but the unit works just the very same (which IMO is great...particularly if you use the K&M tool to isolate your hand from the cutter vibration).

Just me, I guess....at 69 I'm finding that I'm pretty easily annoyed these days! haha
Any idea when the new-old-change occurred? Like 3 months, 6 months, more than a year ago? Thank you.

Any idea when the new-old-change occurred? Like 3 months, 6 months, more than a year ago? Thank you.
I have no idea. Easy to tell what you have...if the motor is grey with a slot in the side, its the older version that needs oiling. If black with no slot, its the sealed bearing version. His documentation said he went with the black, sealed bearing motor in 2003 but there is no indication on when he dropped back to the motor that requires oiling.

I ordered mine thru Creedmoor Sports as I like them, the price was the same, and it drops ships direct from Giraud anyway.

I ordered it on 4/22/21 and received it with the non-sealed bearing motor on 8/19/21.

I have no idea when he dropped back to the old motor as there wasn't any notice and still isn't any....fucking....notice....to current or potential customers.

That's prob my biggest gripe....no notice....that and being penny wise and pound foolish with this decision, IMO.

Cheers

Mine was ordered in August and delivered in September and has the old gray motor, where do I oil?

Mine was ordered in August and delivered in September and has the old gray motor, where do I oil?
Go either to the online manual or the printed one if supplied w your trimmer.

Go to almost the end of the doc…page 8 in pdf…under “Tips” and it’s described there.

Edit: they do also make the Tri-way Trimmer that chucks into a drill. The downside is the trimmer is only made for certain calibers. Last I checked, they didn't offer one for any Creedmoor cartridge, or Dasher, or anything other than 223, 308, 30-06, etc
Protip: buy the 223 tri way and have your smith reem it out to whatever caliber you want.

How often do you trim? I usually only do it after about 4 or 5 loadings then trim an entire batch.

How often do you trim? I usually only do it after about 4 or 5 loadings then trim an entire batch.
I trim and anneal every time I process my brass. But I have a Giraud and an AMP so it does not take much time.

I anneal with the amp and ampmate with feeder. Trimming though I just don't see the stretch on cartridges enough to justify it all the time. Even on my 300NM or 338L I don't see enough to trim each time

Reactions: Steel head
I anneal with the amp and ampmate with feeder. Trimming though I just don't see the stretch on cartridges enough to justify it all the time. Even on my 300NM or 338L I don't see enough to trim each time
The only cartridge I shoot that I see the need to trim frequently is my 223 loads in AR’s.
I hardly ever have to trim my 260, 7 saum and 338 edge.

Reactions: 1moaoff
It is just part of my routine, now sure if it does anything more than trimming every five times or so.

Protip: buy the 223 tri way and have your smith reem it out to whatever caliber you want.
True. If I remember correctly, someone offered that service back when we were on Scout, but my thought is Giraud would sell quite a bit more if he made them for a wider selection of calibers