• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with Custom Calibers?

Zion4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
New York
I don't know whether this falls under gunsmithing or reloading-frankly, I think it could be under both-so yes, I did post it in both sections.

Anyways, has anyone had any experience with custom calibers. I do not mean something like a wildcat round, but <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPLETELY</span> new-something like a .305, .278, etc. that has never been made commercially or is considered a "wildcat." I am curious because I think it may be fun to design a new bullet and cartridge size, yet I have not really been able to find much information (if any) on where to begin or how to go about it.

I assume I would need to draw up designs for a bullet and a shell (I might try to neck something down-that's another possibility) and then get those custom made. From there, I guess I would need a gunsmith to make a custom barrel and action to fit the round and then boom, I have myself a Spaceman Spiff exclusive!

Do you guys think this is possible or is it just way too crazy? I know it would be expensive, but I would be willing to doll out the necessary dough to get 'er done.

Re: Experience with Custom Calibers?

I have discussed it with some folks; here is the short version of our discussion.

Problem #1 - convince someone to make you a barrel or even 3 or 4. Try to make that happen sometime in this lifetime; even if you offer to pay for their custom button or rifling gear.

Problem #2 - lobby one or more bullet manufacturers to make you a custom diameter bullet. Not completely insurmountable if you are going to shoot lathe turned solids (as you can enter the data into the lathe and spit them out), but jacketed pills require custom dies and that is a bit "spendy."

After that, the reamer is easy, as is the brass (pick your base size, and case capacity and rock-n-roll).

JeffVN

I would definitely go with a solid bullet so it seems like the difficulty lies in finding someone crazy enough to make me barrel. At least its theoretically possible so why not try?

"why not try?"

I agree completely.

I would think something between the .284 and the .308 would be an excellent choice. You could aim for something better than the current high BC 7mms but still not too punishing to shoot without a muzzle break when you run it up to 3,000 fps.

Keep us appraised about your progress.

Jeffvn