• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Experience with Custom Calibers?

Zion4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
New York
I don't know whether this falls under gunsmithing or reloading-frankly, I think it could be under both-so yes, I did post it in both sections.

Anyways, has anyone had any experience with custom calibers. I do not mean something like a wildcat round, but <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPLETELY</span> new-something like a .305, .278, etc. that has never been made commercially or is considered a "wildcat." I am curious because I think it may be fun to design a new bullet and cartridge size, yet I have not really been able to find much information (if any) on where to begin or how to go about it.

I assume I would need to draw up designs for a bullet and a shell (I might try to neck something down-that's another possibility) and then get those custom made. From there, I guess I would need a gunsmith to make a custom barrel and action to fit the round and then boom, I have myself a Spaceman Spiff exclusive!

Do you guys think this is possible or is it just way too crazy? I know it would be expensive, but I would be willing to doll out the necessary dough to get 'er done.

Re: Experience with Custom Calibers?

Wildcats, yes, but custom bullet size, no. You won't get any barrel manufactures to cut a custom bore size and you definitely won't get any bullet manufacturers to do it either.

As far as custom chamber or necking something down, it's probably already been done. Go to PTG's website and take a look at all the reamers that are available. If you've never played with wildcats before, you won't be able to dream up some wiz-bang cartridge that will out perform what is already available.

I don't own a rifle that I can buy over the counter ammo for. It's a lot of fun. I'd suggest going with something fairly easy, like a simple neck up/down or an ackley of some sort to start out with. Also, look for something that has a lot of load data available and be prepared to look at a bunch of it. Not everything you read online is a safe load!

Below is my list that I own so you know that I speak from a little experience. I enjoy wildcats as I like to be a little different than the next guy at the range.

22-250AI
6mm Competition Match
.257 STW
.280 AI
300WM with tight neck
.338 STW

I guess I could shoot factory ammo out of my 308 but that wouldn't be any fun.

Take care
Brad

$$,$$$$

It can be done but it is prohibitively expensive. Especially for a small number of barrels. The cost of new tooling for one barrel or one thousand are the same. Usually there is not much to be gained either. What can a .305 do that a .308 cannot?

you could shoot factory ammo out of your ackleys as well if you had to right?

Henke, good eye. Yes, you can purchase OTC ammo for AI calibers and shoot it, and generally shoot it well. The plus side is you get fireformed brass, however, if you don't load your own, you never take advantage of the AI chamber.

It'll be the next big thing.......... The .292 Spiff magnum..... LOL. Call me when you need bullets, I can turn them! LOL