• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes experience with dedicated NV scope

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
I wonder if some of the members would be willing to offer some comments on their experience with dedicated NV scopes, including likes, dislikes, suggestions, etc. Those items are a significant purchase (I am thinking in the 2K to 5K range), so any info will be greatly appreciated.

perhaps something like this

big.jpg

or

310514-m14_with_nv_scope_large.jpg

or

M21A5_C-IED_R_864.JPG

or here's a member's rig:

vmu107.jpg

not like this:

DSCN0560.jpg

Re: experience with dedicated NV scope

you may be interested in a scope like the D 760 (6X) or D 740 (4X) with the third generation tube. These are essentially a much cheaper versions of the Excalibur "Raptor". The D 760 compares pretty well IMO for a lot less money. It is basically a russian optical unit with a ITT tube. Look up Tactical Night Vision company - Vic is a good guy to deal with. For a dedicated NV rig, I like this a lot better than a PVS 14 and a coupler.

http://www.nightvision.com/products/law/product_list.asp?industry_ID=1

ITT Night Enforcer® F7201A

I used one of these for years as an LE Sniper and was very happy with it. I think the original scope was a McMillan, don't know what they use now. First Focal plane Mil Dot reticle. I switched back and forth from day optic to NVS several times, others just used it as a dedicated Night vision rifle. Might be better stuff out there now, but I looked at lots of other gear, and that was the best I could find at the time.

I had a ATN. It was junk. Now i have a Morovison Gen III PVS 4 that works great.

What do yo plan on using the scope for?

Edit: If you are patient you can find GREAT deals on used scopes in the for sale section here and on ar15.com

Like the raptor 6x very much. No problems, very accurate and reliable.

Nice to be able to fight back for my domestics.