• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with Federal "Power Shok" in .308 at long range?

cynologist

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2022
Virginia, USA
I saw these things available at a steep discount this morning at a certain local store so I snagged a few boxes. Never shot with them (or heard of this particular round for that matter) but I figured I'd give them a shot, worst case they'll serve as extra zeroing ammo. Normally things with silly branding like "Power Shok" I would avoid, but whatever, I was short on .308 anyway.

I wondered if any of you have used them at longer ranges, out to say 1000 yards, and if so, if your experience was good or bad. On paper they seem like they'd be suitable, but I also feel like there might be some steep dropoff once it reaches that distance. Did I just get a passable long range cartridge? Or was it discounted for a reason and I just picked up a bunch of garbage?

For reference my only .308 rifle is an AT308 which I shoot suppressed, which has a 1:12 twist.

(edited, had wrong version of the cartridge linked)

Last edited:
Can you lob it out to 1k? yes. Will it be consistent at 1k? No. It's a beefy hunting bullet (for 308) and they are pretty decent for that. If it was a steal of a deal and you have alot of it, they usually shoot well and is worth zeroing to.