• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with Lapua Polar Biathlon Xtreme Ammo?

COprecisionhunter

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2020
Fort Collins, CO
Has anyone used or tested the Lapua Polar Biathlon Xtreme 22lr ammo? If so, was the performance consistent across all temps (warm and cold)? Looking for 22lr ammo that will perform consistently year around regardless of the temperature. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Redfisher60
I have not tried the extreme, just the polar biathlon. It makes a tremendous difference in really cold weather. Center X goes from shooting great at 50 degrees outside to slinging rounds everywhere when it is below 30 degrees. I have not tried the biathlon in warmer weather but I will definitely try it when spring rolls around.

The one nice thing about this ammo is due to the cost it tends to always be in stock when I need it.

It does shoot a little faster than Center X so I it may cause some issues in really hot weather.

Hot weather? Florida native here. :D

CZ 455 Lilja, Sinclair bipod, 200 yards

zSSJjnPTIIdnsPKu-jFPKuXzP8Ao8k49HNBCeiIC8YuHjxYDfRIGaQGg-XiR8L2IjpCZzjiXZLuBRsd5cEzM3QYOUfym5BlTrbyThBY8moWprg4dj1Tx54KZu7EZM9-FPA-qzMd8L0EshYPXMLBe4vuCJZHLQUt1WYotAXuL0Y3dVUNlhUEF-tWaRp0NuWMbuSao9WAdv_GFsr_yJ7l8RXZeWEHc6HbceGVlx1mmkA6IQQ7KXTlSBk44A1g7iVxWEh38r8pGTUKBwGjyU8XixOopGo7r7-b67jIR8mCB8mnMvKIbBIpyW-OVCCsT10_0hgyhRtKxWl9YE74xtG9HnZdZnwW_v9J0C71PbyfPx3V53Q-wVvNuzPreNpO6DbbbsnBkgWyL8hcA5ibSJNc7BwhZ9UBmdhY6wVLsZVlcq-45txr5wpYNPqsgFLzo90iq20lEvI3CHmA0wSKc1GQKUBHEY7rHr6dZj7ov7JeLZVKVjt5RlyfwlVz6CNHVF_pZ_TMLRBBqxhZKjuo_Noeu6ExijnYe5_7VDzVM58CvdjB1TWwXpvNh81xRwxWi3Dyz5m4fdxO5HZQ87LWwVkg_c4mk95xZucmhJ5vxGK3MPZo5jbKSnM1awSj3fWjGOIN43BvgEK4cNilc7C7wxC4fj-Q39Tnl1CQc_3vgx6Yo7G1DUObtz7Xw8eCWuPfOKgA1lCU13uBDnjPQHmlMKib-iRST=w334-h533-no

Minimal wind for this run...

TZ3n1c0v6XTMleyk3aS-hW5LRGHe70UHr_VJF_Gkwo-KwsKD9uu5NvUTjGxY88YJTd10BUpUDN7ovwezkh74LachPg7ecgHfegAmJf48psr2neWjUZzilWxn6RwCcUUU7jRzbB2VjZZt9zEAd0mkXWiCBY8ZCHotfrfrUByrXrXoao2xYLJLhOTDbLPwihlw6UFlZRyciRfPUsfj-V-lG8jOJXKkK7WZOl19joZtQ6Q-FzCUVlpp-00YkSFpjAxLfr7d9s3ENeXOZpQhs-yV-klHZ4heFuEkTY1xlq8azOCUS4VlpnZKr3riPo3luRTYt1wf8HoivHWAoRc3NP4VeVAlE0wJU7q9qYV9rSZo0n72rGSirxZXeGzjBR9_y8Lx93_Gg2SZKZ5bMSjua8DmO68XzpTQB7k4LGkjajINcF9HPJbxTzDU8covPbgAaxAeht7ZP0ONWwnlsX4Q_rYp-kdyOhOR6bCFhzw8om-xV7O3mIMnHc6vgih0Qz8_OzqBgs4ieeAMxvTRU_yfqMa8S6ksBpyRH8fkk2o8e44x6eHczMWE8-FFQpaptqeDJtyeB3n1I0S8uwAxBdbZL4wQk3YAP-lzA1izY5Lkk2ZKahKiNrdLuIMPhbNziNzOtrNKyMpAKggMZLtAJ-NB7hP4LXBXu72gbciBC5qml62pB2k-y7lbvnr88Wz6sGWa4jT-4J51uGmF9Rn31S9LMzbEPP7U=w463-h626-no

Variable for this one...

HY4X8RyuQJXzs2bRo-yKaJijaGUZBe-ytSewSijgezmcTLlb-34lKUQayPgwyatpUG4geUTBpwOvERt86Wf_05cu-CQUsJulKeNTArmARUJPgtkfq4JeATVifUnefKE_Q_41BqgZA3mjYO2KZPffbyqDM61YFW3YqQZun1osLt8tHQgbU4_K7Qj67x8ldpqM3YTOfhU_XpDQdlsUwQeiAGcdyIoEuZFy5Kf6YhH0zPE1JAlK2xCPR5A5XlbWqFpOOWgWYbh6cmWgpt9IYoY6P4_RHgKVLDhotNokWr8EpwsPd9c-033wHiHUSA_WvRomyrKDVAoOB3j2vO8aqgvFV1mxYiJPOXNcv__8AIzp6pO9Fdexrcw56OXo-KfNxZlc7CLSMBKNK2OvoOShD-Xtw2xHhu7Z7cakaUXAZac3PgZOviPLdgFBkk0qru4rQNqMboFBr1wRZnrkxFHcttJLViYrf1BGS9rEBGFzY-hdkfwD9IM69LCQm1QNyG3oYGPtmv_v6HkOEdQaXU51JN16YDCTJfoDgWOOPSY0WmXHZWfCQO9Z7JMokbxVgUdRpBpSAZQtP9jYqd5QKGpt7B2BKlO0g442rGBVoTJNNploSso1RaeCLL42Jb83QjRe8725yYKl3QYDeyQtyfi6UC4Xk0fSZtgHUXShOXq-1W5kFkCA1ZlJUGNW4i-HdZzeh-e2qjERFyZUEfKj8dViRp4_KxaE=w332-h427-no

Just like any rimfire, batch quality varies.
First box tried had a 70 fps ES.
Second box 32 fps.

If you don't lot test before purchasing, y'er just rolling the dice. :(

Last edited:
Hot weather? Florida native here. :D

CZ 455 Lilja, Sinclair bipod, 200 yards

zSSJjnPTIIdnsPKu-jFPKuXzP8Ao8k49HNBCeiIC8YuHjxYDfRIGaQGg-XiR8L2IjpCZzjiXZLuBRsd5cEzM3QYOUfym5BlTrbyThBY8moWprg4dj1Tx54KZu7EZM9-FPA-qzMd8L0EshYPXMLBe4vuCJZHLQUt1WYotAXuL0Y3dVUNlhUEF-tWaRp0NuWMbuSao9WAdv_GFsr_yJ7l8RXZeWEHc6HbceGVlx1mmkA6IQQ7KXTlSBk44A1g7iVxWEh38r8pGTUKBwGjyU8XixOopGo7r7-b67jIR8mCB8mnMvKIbBIpyW-OVCCsT10_0hgyhRtKxWl9YE74xtG9HnZdZnwW_v9J0C71PbyfPx3V53Q-wVvNuzPreNpO6DbbbsnBkgWyL8hcA5ibSJNc7BwhZ9UBmdhY6wVLsZVlcq-45txr5wpYNPqsgFLzo90iq20lEvI3CHmA0wSKc1GQKUBHEY7rHr6dZj7ov7JeLZVKVjt5RlyfwlVz6CNHVF_pZ_TMLRBBqxhZKjuo_Noeu6ExijnYe5_7VDzVM58CvdjB1TWwXpvNh81xRwxWi3Dyz5m4fdxO5HZQ87LWwVkg_c4mk95xZucmhJ5vxGK3MPZo5jbKSnM1awSj3fWjGOIN43BvgEK4cNilc7C7wxC4fj-Q39Tnl1CQc_3vgx6Yo7G1DUObtz7Xw8eCWuPfOKgA1lCU13uBDnjPQHmlMKib-iRST=w334-h533-no

Minimal wind for this run...

TZ3n1c0v6XTMleyk3aS-hW5LRGHe70UHr_VJF_Gkwo-KwsKD9uu5NvUTjGxY88YJTd10BUpUDN7ovwezkh74LachPg7ecgHfegAmJf48psr2neWjUZzilWxn6RwCcUUU7jRzbB2VjZZt9zEAd0mkXWiCBY8ZCHotfrfrUByrXrXoao2xYLJLhOTDbLPwihlw6UFlZRyciRfPUsfj-V-lG8jOJXKkK7WZOl19joZtQ6Q-FzCUVlpp-00YkSFpjAxLfr7d9s3ENeXOZpQhs-yV-klHZ4heFuEkTY1xlq8azOCUS4VlpnZKr3riPo3luRTYt1wf8HoivHWAoRc3NP4VeVAlE0wJU7q9qYV9rSZo0n72rGSirxZXeGzjBR9_y8Lx93_Gg2SZKZ5bMSjua8DmO68XzpTQB7k4LGkjajINcF9HPJbxTzDU8covPbgAaxAeht7ZP0ONWwnlsX4Q_rYp-kdyOhOR6bCFhzw8om-xV7O3mIMnHc6vgih0Qz8_OzqBgs4ieeAMxvTRU_yfqMa8S6ksBpyRH8fkk2o8e44x6eHczMWE8-FFQpaptqeDJtyeB3n1I0S8uwAxBdbZL4wQk3YAP-lzA1izY5Lkk2ZKahKiNrdLuIMPhbNziNzOtrNKyMpAKggMZLtAJ-NB7hP4LXBXu72gbciBC5qml62pB2k-y7lbvnr88Wz6sGWa4jT-4J51uGmF9Rn31S9LMzbEPP7U=w463-h626-no

Variable for this one...

HY4X8RyuQJXzs2bRo-yKaJijaGUZBe-ytSewSijgezmcTLlb-34lKUQayPgwyatpUG4geUTBpwOvERt86Wf_05cu-CQUsJulKeNTArmARUJPgtkfq4JeATVifUnefKE_Q_41BqgZA3mjYO2KZPffbyqDM61YFW3YqQZun1osLt8tHQgbU4_K7Qj67x8ldpqM3YTOfhU_XpDQdlsUwQeiAGcdyIoEuZFy5Kf6YhH0zPE1JAlK2xCPR5A5XlbWqFpOOWgWYbh6cmWgpt9IYoY6P4_RHgKVLDhotNokWr8EpwsPd9c-033wHiHUSA_WvRomyrKDVAoOB3j2vO8aqgvFV1mxYiJPOXNcv__8AIzp6pO9Fdexrcw56OXo-KfNxZlc7CLSMBKNK2OvoOShD-Xtw2xHhu7Z7cakaUXAZac3PgZOviPLdgFBkk0qru4rQNqMboFBr1wRZnrkxFHcttJLViYrf1BGS9rEBGFzY-hdkfwD9IM69LCQm1QNyG3oYGPtmv_v6HkOEdQaXU51JN16YDCTJfoDgWOOPSY0WmXHZWfCQO9Z7JMokbxVgUdRpBpSAZQtP9jYqd5QKGpt7B2BKlO0g442rGBVoTJNNploSso1RaeCLL42Jb83QjRe8725yYKl3QYDeyQtyfi6UC4Xk0fSZtgHUXShOXq-1W5kFkCA1ZlJUGNW4i-HdZzeh-e2qjERFyZUEfKj8dViRp4_KxaE=w332-h427-no

Just like any rimfire, batch quality varies.
First box tried had a 70 fps ES.
Second box 32 fps.

If you don't lot test before purchasing, y'er just rolling the dice. :(
For the price I was hoping the MV ES would be more consistent from lot to lot. Unfortunately, I did just roll the dice with this lot of Xtreme. Fingers crossed I get lucky!

I have not tried the extreme, just the polar biathlon. It makes a tremendous difference in really cold weather. Center X goes from shooting great at 50 degrees outside to slinging rounds everywhere when it is below 30 degrees. I have not tried the biathlon in warmer weather but I will definitely try it when spring rolls around.

The one nice thing about this ammo is due to the cost it tends to always be in stock when I need it.

It does shoot a little faster than Center X so I it may cause some issues in really hot weather.
I’m looking forward to testing it out. Do you know what the difference is between the polar biathlon and the Xtreme?

The difference between X-treme and Polar?

The labeling on the box, as far as the results on target.
Price difference depending on where purchased.
Rated same mv, 1106 fps.

Rated same mv, 1106 fps.
Yeah I guess I’m asking if anyone knows the physical difference in the two. Different powder, primer compound, or lube?

Rated same mv, 1106 fps.
From their website it seems as though they use a different powder for the extreme. I need to call them to make sure.

Yeah I guess I’m asking if anyone knows the physical difference in the two. Different powder, primer compound, or lube?
Only thing I can see is in the description between the two. Here is the description for both.

Polar Biathlon
Lapua Polar Biathlon has been the .22 lr ammunition behind the vast majority of biathlon medals won worldwide for many years. This cartridge is specifically designed for use in the frigid conditions common to most biathlon competitions. Lapua’s Polar Biathlon round offers ideal performance under all conditions, with consistent accuracy and reliable ignition.

Biathlon Xtreme

In world-class biathlon competitions, biathletes need ammunition that can ensure fast and accurate shooting in challenging conditions. Lapua is proud to introduce the new Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge, designed to meet the specific needs of biathlon competition.

The Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge uses a newly developed, temperature insensitive powder that functions in all biathlon conditions. The bullet’s special shape ensures reliable and easy functioning and together with the new powder it provides unbeatable accuracy and consistent velocities. During product development, the Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge endured extensive laboratory testing and calculations as well as demanding field testing for function and accuracy by two of the world’s top biathlon teams.

Not too sure what that means in regards to extremes.

How does the ammo shoot from your rifle?

Only thing I can see is in the description between the two. Here is the description for both.

Polar Biathlon
Lapua Polar Biathlon has been the .22 lr ammunition behind the vast majority of biathlon medals won worldwide for many years. This cartridge is specifically designed for use in the frigid conditions common to most biathlon competitions. Lapua’s Polar Biathlon round offers ideal performance under all conditions, with consistent accuracy and reliable ignition.

Biathlon Xtreme

In world-class biathlon competitions, biathletes need ammunition that can ensure fast and accurate shooting in challenging conditions. Lapua is proud to introduce the new Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge, designed to meet the specific needs of biathlon competition.

The Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge uses a newly developed, temperature insensitive powder that functions in all biathlon conditions. The bullet’s special shape ensures reliable and easy functioning and together with the new powder it provides unbeatable accuracy and consistent velocities. During product development, the Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge endured extensive laboratory testing and calculations as well as demanding field testing for function and accuracy by two of the world’s top biathlon teams.

Not too sure what that means in regards to extremes.

How does the ammo shoot from your rifle?
Haven’t got a chance to test it yet but I will at 50 and 100 and I’ll collect velocities from a labradar.

Reactions: Appalachian
Sounds great! Cannot wait to see how it performs for you. I'd be curious to know what choice of ammo they choose to use for these rounds.

Is it Center X, Midas, X-act. Hard to know.

Yep, tailwind kicked my adze. :(
Even with an ES of 20 fps for 50 shots,
doesn't help with the turbulence off the roof over the line.

9WDE-z-3fQUJK8vYka-zlKWH_ytcDgMoR_sKb1u08JO6ecsCnNuAxH4TuCNppgs84X7AeRLsXPGAPDUamgrws4mdzwMgB2YK7f-vUX83gCRNH_7ZsZeX0-Ed5c7ubaQE4UoxPTIM3297Y7oqi9kJ9fLC4zcFbAMfJJRHyiZwK2xIidl0AhQDJjvpOnDHi-v4kVOu49lqObs-psqTKahKodx4FQMpyw-ztHPvH4c1f-JsLCqT5sJFbEx2P8OtA3MBBn0sUNuNfSB5vskFkECuzWJy_iX7Rl5DBLgyjupd0tpN3tDSGkmNY17KDZpdBi3D5gUCZ0uNJFbC3xhCBEayrpLGpQHojarViEe1pdr50j7NOMhMAiX8II_UFfy4LeQ1h_dk9WI4NIGkxpGsQq0GPbL3Jl_3_mK3tHPZqSPUzDMOQ_8C4ittATkDz1IO_VAtTWCMBpygP5wtVhU_qBf3KaVeDc6wqslWfNOonDSe9SU4khIXRDVHJL-VSqPlyRT4Uk6OCVGS1R9NkhfcIxIICqw8HL8s1pToNfL-kxhiVosT9KAmVHts8uWBYgd26flh6vNyg_rlvlMqsiEpOsABfnwkqvmm3a6xOTSvVjAE8yHdNiFlCaMdqckblQtnSNoOX80ltQHFOrtLWfPZONYg0260Hv8EFnho8Sd7eEvgDPcL5zgkNVcsxhXxaDqG50JxxwcaaGQUZihOhs_10g=w481-h626-no

Reactions: Appalachian
The Lapua Biathlon Xtreme cartridge uses a newly developed, temperature insensitive powder that functions in all biathlon conditions.

Hmm... chemical reaction that isn't temperature sensitive... they've cracked the code gentlemen!

Dorkiness aside, being a MN shooter trying to run matches year round, I tested a few boxes of Biathlon ammo from Lapua (just the regular, not the extreme), Eley and SK, and found that there were slight group size improvements below 20F, but hard to justify 2x the ~$16-20/box. I may try again this year now that my setup is more dialed, provided I can find any.

Finally got to run a partial box of the lapua biathlon Xtreme ammo through just a factory ruger barrel with a thunderbeast take-down 22 can. Here are the numbers from my labradar:

Series: 29 Shots (LabRadar missed 1)
Highest MV: 1086 fps
Lowest MV: 1067 fps
AVG MV: 1075
ES: 18
SD: 6.0

Largest group*: 1.72 MOA
Smallest group*: 0.88 MOA
*5 shot groups

MET:
Temp: 39 degrees farenheight
Station Pressure: 24.8 Hg
Humidity: 44%
Altitude: 5,000 ft ASL

Last edited:
Reactions: Near miss
Hmm... chemical reaction that isn't temperature sensitive... they've cracked the code gentlemen!

Dorkiness aside, being a MN shooter trying to run matches year round, I tested a few boxes of Biathlon ammo from Lapua (just the regular, not the extreme), Eley and SK, and found that there were slight group size improvements below 20F, but hard to justify 2x the ~$16-20/box. I may try again this year now that my setup is more dialed, provided I can find any.
That's why I picked up this biathlon Xtreme. I live in CO and NOV through MAY our matches could be <32℉. My Eley Match ammo goes turns into a dumpster fire below 30℉ so I wanted to try something. The Biathlon ammo didn't provide an improvement in group size but it was very consistent in MV.

People use scopes for this stuff? I used to when I was a novice until I trained my mind and body how to hold over mils with open sights on my 22 cricket. Never had a problem achieving sub half moa groups out to 200. But then again, I guess some people just aren't the marksman that I am.
The way you guys are talking this Lapua up, I might have to give it a shot. I can't imagine getting any better groups than I am now, but it might be worth a try.

• Haha
People use scopes for this stuff? I used to when I was a novice until I trained my mind and body how to hold over mils with open sights on my 22 cricket. Never had a problem achieving sub half moa groups out to 200. But then again, I guess some people just aren't the marksman that I am.
The way you guys are talking this Lapua up, I might have to give it a shot. I can't imagine getting any better groups than I am now, but it might be worth a try.

☝🏻“Jesus christ it’s Jason Bourne“☝🏻

Reactions: junkyard.brody
☝🏻“Jesus christ it’s Jason Bourne“☝🏻

I think this is actually Bob Lee Swagger.

Is this Lapua better than the federal 525 value pack?

They are both great options however Federal uses a priming compound that is very susceptible to Coriolis. When they add the priming compound they spin the case much faster than Lapua does to ensure the compound is evenly spread. The fast rotation they induce into the priming compound causes the bullets to become more erratic in the Northern Hemisphere. This ammo hammers the closer you get to the poles.

Has anyone used or tested the Lapua Polar Biathlon Xtreme 22lr ammo? If so, was the performance consistent across all temps (warm and cold)? Looking for 22lr ammo that will perform consistently year around regardless of the temperature. Thanks in advance!

Ok I tried the ammo yesterday at the range. The temperature was around 60 degrees. The results were OK, however I was hoping they were going to group better than this at 50 yards. I did shoot Center X prior to the Biathlon which may have some affect with the different coating???

I will hopefully make it out there again and test with a clean barrel and let you know how it performed.

1607355287516.png

Reactions: Alamo308
Ok I tried the ammo yesterday at the range. The temperature was around 60 degrees. The results were OK, however I was hoping they were going to group better than this at 50 yards. I did shoot Center X prior to the Biathlon which may have some affect with the different coating???

I will hopefully make it out there again and test with a clean barrel and let you know how it performed.

View attachment 7494271

Does your center-x usually have that much horizontal dispersion?

It does not. That's what is a little strange. I do have another lot of the Biathlon Xtreme ammo. I will hopefully have some time this week to test it out. I will keep you posted.

It does not. That's what is a little strange. I do have another lot of the Biathlon Xtreme ammo. I will hopefully have some time this week to test it out. I will keep you posted.
Sounds good. Throw it on a chrono too if you can. I’m curious to see if the MV is as consistent as the lot that I have.

Reactions: Shooter J
I'm curious to hear the results of the Lapua Biathlon versus the SK Biathlon. I've had good results with the SK and bought a couple cases when it was cheap and SK had their rebate going...

I do not have any of the SK Biathlon, but I would love to try some. I will definitely keep that on my radar.

Sounds good. Throw it on a chrono too if you can. I’m curious to see if the MV is as consistent as the lot that I have.

I have tried my chrono in the past, but it doesn't always pick up the ammo.

A friend of mine uses a Lab Radar. I will see if I can check the velocities over at his place.

I friend was having problems with Lapua 22. He said the cases had oil on them and had to be removed otherwise his chamber was clogging after 150 rounds or so

Granted, not exactly the acid test, but 5 round group of Polar Biathalon @ 50yards from my Martini

ZkKF9PU.jpg

gY72Hd0.jpg

Yeah my 10-22 jams a good amount with coated ammo. I try to have a lot of Q tips on hand to keep the chamber area clean. I am still a fan of the bolt action compared to the semi. Unless there is an unlimited round stage :) Then I want the 20 round magazine..

Yeah my 10-22 jams a good amount with coated ammo. I try to have a lot of Q tips on hand to keep the chamber area clean. I am still a fan of the bolt action compared to the semi. Unless there is an unlimited round stage :) Then I want the 20 round magazine..
He and I shoot "steel challenge" which is speed shooting. Bolt guns need not apply

View attachment 7494271
Have you had a chance to test this anymore?

Shot the .22 caliber rifle match today and then shot some Lapua BiPolar ammo through my Winchester 52D.

HoV7qls.jpg

Lapua BiPolar @ 100 yards

birHp8k.jpg

That's just teasing, Calfed.
I see 5 shots accounted for,
where are the rest of them.
You sent a lot more than that, post 'em up.

Include pics looking downrange over the setup.
I need the rifle pron. ;)

Reactions: Calfed