• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with Nikon black 4K or leupold 2,800 range finders

Simonsza1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Wanting to get some feedback on how these perform. Looking for some first hand experience also what else would work as good in this price range. I heard there amazing for the money looking for more opinions.

No experience with the Nikon unit, but just got my vortex razor 4000 not long ago. I was able to range a building at 3720 yards this morning in elr mode free hand, so it lives up to its name. Also has great glass. I am coming from a Bushnell dx1300 for reference and it is a massive upgrade over than in easy of use, glass, and ranging capabilities. Reason I picked this over Nikon is due to my experience with high end vortex vs high end Nikon glass, I prefer Vortex.

It ranges 4000 yards on freeway street aigns.

It didn't give you the angle, so I sold mine.

It ranges 4000 yards on freeway street aigns.

It didn't give you the angle, so I sold mine.
Mine performed flawlessly. And it definitely compensated angle. Not sure if that’s what you went by this or expected it to actually display the angle, which it doesn’t. But “Nikon BLACK RANGEX 4K laser rangefinder incorporates Nikon’s ID (Incline/Decline) Technology that rapidly and accurately calculates the horizontal distance to the target at virtually any angle.”
I loved it and only sold it to move into the Sig bdx 3000.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Thanks guys, keep it coming let’s get some more info on the 4K

There is plenty of info on these. Frank, who runs this site did a video on it, as well as PRN, 2 years ago (below). I never really “tested” mine. Easily range an IPSC plate at 1,000 at my range. None of the matches around me go past 800-ish.

I have had one for 1-1/2 years, works great. I have ranged out to 3200 on highway sign, my biggest problem is holding it still as they are very small and light but I'm sure its the same with other brands. I sold a sig (650?) and got the Nikon as I couldn't range my 1000 target with the Sig.

If you do a search on this site and Long Range Hunting Magazine (site) you'll find numerous entries, reviews, pros, and cons, etc. about the Nikon 4000K. I've contributed to this topic on both. Here follows some photos that are actual views through my Nikon 4000K: NIK4000l.JPGNIK4000 ranging through foilage1.JPGNIK4000p.JPGThis RF is the fastest I've ever used; the display is, well, see for yourself; if I remember correctly when comparing (same targets, same time) the Terrapin X, Sig 2400ABS, and the Nikon 4000K none "beat" the Nikon and there were times when several attempts had to be made to obtain a return in the display for all three, but the Nikon required less effort and time to get the result in almost all cases. For the money I don't see how anyone can fault this rangefinder. And one can spend several times as much and get several times less too.

I have the Nikon Black 4k. It works great out to about 1200 or so against a grassy hill side, but that's as far as it goes. If you don't need to go beyond that, then it's great for the price. I ended up getting the Sig 3000 BDX because I was tired of having to work around the longer range deficiencies of the Nikon.

By comparison, I took my new Sig 3000s out to the hills yesterday on a location scout. I got skunked on the scouting (lots of locked gates), but got to validate the ~2100 yard range I got at my house against grass in these hills:

IMG_1057 med.jpg

I picked up db2000's 4K in the Optics B-S-T listings. I wanted to upgrade from my Kilo 1250. The 4K is built like a tank, easy to use and very fast. The sharpness of the viewfinder and illuminated OLED display are fantastic. Furthest I have ranged was 3600+ yds against a moving truck trailer. Way more than I will ever shoot unless I come upon a nice, used M119A3..........

I used the Nikon Black 4K for a few months up here in the PNW in all kinds of shitty weather. My shooting partner bought one. It is a 1,600 yard all day everyday LRF in some pretty gray, drizzly and dank conditions. It won't penetrate fog banks, but what does? The laser seems to be vertically oriented. It picks up trees and poles very well, while thin horozontal targets are harder.

All that being said, when it cam time for me to upgrade, I went with the Leupold RX 2800. It is all the Nikon 4K is and then some. I can reliably range to 2,400 yards in anything resembling decent conditions. I ranged individual cows in an open field at over 1600 yards with no issues.

Skookum it’s very interesting that you feel your Leupold 2800 is a much better lrf then the 4K. One of the reasons I started this post was to upgrade from Leupold 1200 which I mainly use just for hunting but now also want something for hitting some targets at distance which my 1200 do not do past 800yds worth a crap but fine out to there. Didn’t consider the Leupold 2800 cause it seems most people’s thought on all Leupold’s lrf is that they suck. I do get there discounts though and can get a good deal on them. So if there better I would definitely consider them.

Bumping this back up. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on lrf but it’s time to get off the pot. Anymore feedback on the leupold 2800? Are there more guys out there getting good results with them? I’d love to here if so. Still see the Nikon in stock at a few places but it’s been discontinued as far as I can tell. In that under $500 max budget anyone have better options? Thanks again guys for any more feedback or updates on performance of there leupold 2,800, nikon 4K or others.

Well no need to respond. Cameraland ny had a sale price on the sig bdx3000 so I completely shit on my budget and ordered them this morning. Double what I was thinking I was going to spend but everything I need and more I’m hoping.