• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with out of the box Rem 700 5R barreled actions

longshot2000

Sniper's Hide Dealer: CHARLIE'S
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Northern VA
    charliescustomclones.com
    Traditionally, I have worked with more snobby actions and barrels, but I am working on a project and came across the Remington 700 match grade rifle SA with a Remington 5R 4150 barrel.

I am looking for anyone with experience with the barrel and also how true the barrel action is. Normally I would put a better barrel in and also get a trued lug and have the action trued, and the end of the barrel as well, then pillar bed in a nice stock. Most likely, the latter will happen, but I am wondering if the 5r barreled action is good enough.

Typically accurate but have unfortunately long freebores... If you just want to shoot 175gr SMKs, I'd say at least give it a shot

^^ I'm really only commenting on the 700 5R barrels, can't help you w/ the action

Reactions: USGILT
    My 5r will shoot one hole with FGMM at 100.

They are generally pretty good shooters. I don't know about how true the actions are. I have heard rumors that the RR series actions are very true compared to others.

Reactions: BCP and R_A_W
    I wasn't so lucky.
    Mine has virtually no primary extraction at all.
    Can be a PITA with brass it doesn't like.
    Need to get a SB die one of these days and see if it helps anything.....

I had a Gen 2 5R Rem 700 chambered in 6.5cm and it was an awesome rifle. Super smooth action. Very accurate. I put it in an KRG X Ray and loved it. Shot pretty much all “match” ammo sub MOA but really shot factory 147 ELDM well. Attached is what I would call a typical group with factory 147 ELDM.

Attachments

• IMG_9313.jpeg
      IMG_9313.jpeg
      671.9 KB · Views: 92
    • Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-15 13:01:00.948239.png
      Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-15 13:01:00.948239.png
      4.8 MB · Views: 89
    He already knows it is not timed properly .
    You sure about that? Going to a small base die instead of addressing inadequate primary extraction from a possible improperly timed bolt suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
    There's a lot of feedback out there on Remington 5R's. I've had probably a dozen of them in 308, 300wm, and 223 and know others who have had them equalling many many samples. Ragged holes with FGMM is the norm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I had a .308 5R back about 16-17 years ago. It was what I really cut my teeth on when I was trying to load and shoot as accurately as I possibly could. With nothing more than a skim bedding and a little trigger work, it was a legit hammer. My most recent factory Remington 5R barrel is in my M24R, and it is much more picky...but when I got the load dialed in, it does very well and stays consistent.

thanks for the feedback. sounds like a vote of confidence in the barrel. I might just disassemble and check the lug and action. This is a new RAR serial number. I know older factory lugs were not known for consistency.