• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with Prime 144g 6.5 cm?

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Now I know this isn’t a reloading topic but I figured I might find the answer here. Am being offered some of this stuff for trade and I know prime is top notch factory ammo, I wouldn’t mind having some to shoot for those lazy days I don’t feel like reloading and just want to shoot some steel.

Searching the interwebs I can’t find any info about this particular product, I know prime does 130s and 140s but never seen 144s, not listed on their website either. Guessing they’re loaded with Berger’s 144 HT? Not sure if another manufacturer makes 144 projectiles. Anyway just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this stuff.

Thanks!

Hmmm??? They might also be Lapua's 144 FMJ's. 🤷‍♂️

I have some of these Lapua's and the one thing I an say about them, is they're very uniform . . . at least, the one's I have are.
Am in vegas so I ended up just calling Prime and they weren’t sure either which was super weird that they didn’t know their own products.

It shoots well. I dont know what bullet it uses (G1 .550 listed on box), it was offered up a year or so ago when Prime couldnt get the 140 gr projectiles and offered this for prior orders. I took it rather than waiting 6 months and have not been disappointed. Its 1/2 to 3/4 moa in my gun.

Reactions: Islas82
It shoots well. I dont know what bullet it uses (G1 .550 listed on box), it was offered up a year or so ago when Prime couldnt get the 140 gr projectiles and offered this for prior orders. I took it rather than waiting 6 months and have not been disappointed. Its 1/2 to 3/4 moa in my gun.
Thanks for this, I was so confused. Is it Peterson brass with a prime head stamp?

Now I know this isn’t a reloading topic but I figured I might find the answer here. Am being offered some of this stuff for trade and I know prime is top notch factory ammo, I wouldn’t mind having some to shoot for those lazy days I don’t feel like reloading and just want to shoot some steel.

Searching the interwebs I can’t find any info about this particular product, I know prime does 130s and 140s but never seen 144s, not listed on their website either. Guessing they’re loaded with Berger’s 144 HT? Not sure if another manufacturer makes 144 projectiles. Anyway just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this stuff.

Thanks!
Yes, a past PRIME group buy of old substituted the 144 sierra SMK for the 140s when they ran out and PRIME did the right thing and offered the 144 smk to buyers. It shoots very well, but the speed is anemic, like out of my 26" 1-8 the average mv was @ 2675--2720 iirc, depending on temps. The 144 smk is not sexy, but it's better than a 175 smk lol. I shot a bunch of this ammo at a 2 day class out to 600 yds, including long strings of fire and it was very accurate. Groups were @ .5 moa at 100y. It's good stuff. Yes, prime stamped brass, but not sure if Peterson or Norma, not sure how to tell, but it's good brass and I'm sitting on a shit ton to resize this summer.

I just double checked--sorry, I was thinking of the 900+ pieces of .308 PRIME brass I just tumbled, lol, THAT stuff was PRIME stamped.

But the 6.5 PRIME 144 brass was in fact Peterson stamped brass.

The 6.5 PRIME 142 smk group buy was also Peterson stamped brass.

I just double checked--sorry, I was thinking of the 900+ pieces of .308 PRIME brass I just tumbled, lol, THAT stuff was PRIME stamped.

But the 6.5 PRIME 144 brass was in fact Peterson stamped brass.

The 6.5 PRIME 142 smk group buy was also Peterson stamped brass.
And the 144 is a sierra?

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
And the 144 is a sierra?
Yes, as is the 142 and I believe the 130s also.

Jim could only manf ammo w available bullets and that got to be very difficult.

I’ve not shot the 144 but I’d did get four cases of the 142 and they seem to shoot just fine.

Peterson head stamped brass.

Last edited:
I actually have the Spark / Peterson version Of the CMO… We should basically be exactly the same… And it shoots fantastic In a bartlein 7.5:1 5R.