• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experience with speer HPBT bullets .308 ?

Defusion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Netherlands
Does anyone have experience with speer HPBT Match bullets?
I'm thinking about buying some for load development as they seem affordable. Sadly, minimum quantity here is 500, while sierra and lapua sell per 100.

Since most of my shooting will be sub 300meters, 90% being at 100meters (~110y or so), I figure they might be good enough for practice at the 100m range, and save the lapua/sierra's for longer range shooting and for competitions.

While they probably wont be as good as sierra or lapua, I wonder what kind of accuracy I can reasonably expect to get out of them in a high end rifle.

Last edited:
I have been shooting accurate, custom (or semi-custom) rifles in competition since 1999 -Silhouette, F Class open, F Class T/R, and Highpower XTC. I have NEVER encountered another competitor (myself included) that used Speer bullets. Makes you wonder why, doesn't it ?

Paul

great bullets... they somehow have over-rated their 168 grain .308 match bullet's BC to .534 (yeah, I know)... and even after we tested some of them and found their BC to be around .460 just like Sierra's Matchking, they didn't change their website.

But they're very good, accurate bullets. Every bit as good as Sierra (and they should be, as they cost as much or more).

Dan

Thanks for the replies guys.
I did find a retailer willing to sell me 100 pieces to check them out, so we'll see how that goes.
Will have 100 each of lapua, sierra and speer 167/168gr bullets to see what the rifle likes when I get it (hopefully this weekend, but it's already taking longer than expected, so lets not get my hopes up).

Prices for speer are at 210-240 per 1000, while sierra and lapua range around 300-350. So if they perform well enough at 100-300, I'll get some more.

It all depends on the accuracy you expect. As mentioned previously I think you will find a great deal of variance in weight and length. I shot some Speer 168's about 10 or 12 years ago. They were grouping about 1.25 at best. I wasn't happy with this but must also admit I had to replace the barrel on that rifle. It wouldn't shoot anything any better. For what it's worth I have no use for Speer componants anymore.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have bothered if I couldn't find a small batch to see how they perform.
I want to use them to practice shooting without a rear bag (not allowed in a local competition I want to compete in).
At the very least I want sub moa (with rear bag) from an AI AE, so I can tell if it was me or the bullet.

It all depends on the accuracy you expect. As mentioned previously I think you will find a great deal of variance in weight and length. I shot some Speer 168's about 10 or 12 years ago. They were grouping about 1.25 at best. I wasn't happy with this but must also admit I had to replace the barrel on that rifle. It wouldn't shoot anything any better. For what it's worth I have no use for Speer componants anymore.

I presume you tested this using different powders. I use 175 SMKs and they suck over 2230, 4064 & N135 but perform extremely well over RL17 or N550 (many groups <.5moa). Just picked up 300 Speer 200gr HPBTs to try out.

I have heard of experiences like yours. Perhaps I am not patient enough to keep trying with a rifle that has shown me no potential. In my experience if you have a barrel that shoots, it will shoot any quality bullet well. I have yet to see 1.25's magically shrink to sub 1/2 min groups with different powder or primers. I am not saying it doesn't happen; it does.

With that said, I believe at the time most of the loads tested were over IMR 4831. I may have tried some IMR 4350 and also Reloader 17. Honestly the results weren't promising enough to continue. As mentioned before, the rifle was eventually rebarreled so perhaps this isn't a fair test of Speer.

I also loaded some Speer soft points for a 220 Swift I had at the time. This rifle shot very well. Again, no exhaustive load development but the Speer bullets grouped about 1.25. I knew from previous experience this rifle was capable of much better accuracy. My next effort was with a Hornady TMJ style bullet. The first load tried shot 1/2 minute groups. Perhaps it was luck, but I have not regretted staying away from Speer bullets since.

Your experience with the 175 SMK's seems different to me. I have had great luck with Sierra's offerings. Weigh and measure some bullets from a green box and you will find very good consistency. Most shooters interested in accuracy will include Sierra Match Kings in the "premium" bullet category. So perhaps it is worth trying to improve mediocre groups from a rifle using these bullets.

I am not a match shooter but I have never heard of anyone choosing Speer bullets for competition over makers like Sierra, Berger or Hornady.