• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experienced first pressure signs with new load

TeaRex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2013
Denver, CO
I worked up a new load for my 6.5x55 with H4831s, Berger 140gr Hybrids and Hornady 5x fired brass last week at the range. Shooting in the shade and 65 Degree weather, I went from 45.0 grains up to 51.1 with no pressure signs. I knew 51.2 was a hot but fast/accurate load from another reloader, so I intentionally stayed just below it and didn't exceed it. OCW node and good accuracy was obtained near 50.9 gr, and 0.025" jump, so I went with that.

So yesterday I get out to the mountains with 50 of my new load. It is probably 60 degrees, and no wind... absolutely beautiful. The two hours of shooting go great, I make some really fun shots out to 600 yds and then go to reset and move targets. When I come back to fire another 10-15 rounds, it has warmed up some, probably closer to 80 degrees in the noon sun. About 5 rounds in to my second go, I immediately noticed that one of the shots had significantly more recoil, and even sounded a bit louder. To this point, I had never actually seen "sticky bolt lift", "difficult extraction" or "ejector swipe marks". But right away, I saw all three (Which was neat to see, but also scary to see all three all of a sudden with no prior indications). I (carefully) fired a few more rounds to try to figure if I had just tricked a charge wrong, or if my load was too hot. The next few rounds had the same behavior, so I called it a day and packed up.

In hindsight, I think that the load is probably OK in cool / cold weather, and when the gun / ammo is not hot. But after sitting in the sun for a few hours, I think the ammo was heated up and the chamber of the rifle was hot as well, which pushed me from a borderline load at good conditions to an unsafe load.

Plan right now is to reduce load to the lower end of the accuracy node I found, probably about 0.3g lower and see if I encounter the pressure signs in the heat again. If so, I will be moving to a lower accuracy node or changing powders. Any thoughts or advice?

Pics show every round I fired yesterday, roughly in order. Rounds with pressure signs are near the unfired rounds.

hug1zq.jpg

dfdp4l.jpg

24g0hh0.jpg

Ejector pin marks tell all. You've exceeded the yield point of the brass. Time to manage pressures. A .3 gr reduction is not much. Less than 1%, .6% as a matter of fact. Considering your pressure increase with a rise in temperature I'd back off .6-1.0 grs. and play it a little conservative. Not that it's dangerous just things need to work all of the time.

Ejector pin marks tell all. You've exceeded the yield point of the brass. Time to manage pressures. A .3 gr reduction is not much. Less than 1%, .6% as a matter of fact. Considering your pressure increase with a rise in temperature I'd back off .6-1.0 grs. and play it a little conservative. Not that it's dangerous just things need to work all of the time.

I was hoping I could convince myself that backing off 0.3 gr would be enough, but I think that's probably not enough... I may end up going down further as you suggest. No need to risk it for a few extra FPS.

Man be careful. I hope your not shooting 96 model swede. Hodgdon's say 47.0 grains max. The modern rifles of today have a max pressure of around 60,000 psi. I just plugged that into Quickload and it says that load's pressure is 78,801 psi. The 96 model swede's max pressure is around 45 to 46 thousand psi. Careful....

Man be careful. I hope your not shooting 96 model swede. Hodgdon's say 47.0 grains max. The modern rifles of today have a max pressure of around 60,000 psi. I just plugged that into Quickload and it says that load's pressure is 78,801 psi. The 96 model swede's max pressure is around 45 to 46 thousand psi. Careful....

No, it's a new Remington 700. Just out of curiosity, what pressure does QL say that book max (47.0) gets?

No, it's a new Remington 700. Just out of curiosity, what pressure does QL say that book max (47.0) gets?

It shows 58,718 psi.

I went back to the Hodgdon website and they show 47.0 grain load as 45,700 CUP pressure. So I guess the 58,718 psi is a close equivalent.

Last edited: