• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expert advice wanted

tjonh2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2007
ND
I have been shooting my 243wssm lately. The advice I need is to what might be causing the bolt carrier to feel hard to pull back with a shell in the chamber. Once it moves it's easy.

Its been cleaned and lubricated. Still same results.

Thanks for the help

Re: Expert advice wanted

What kind of rifle is it and do you have a scope mount installed? Sometimes the length of the screws for the scope base can be too long and make contact with the bolt (assuming this is a conventional bolt action rifle)...I had a customer last week who's Remington 700 was having a similar problem and it turned out to be that the length of the scope base screws were too long.

Tight chamber or oversized brass?

I'm assuming round is unfired. Do you have multiple firings on the cases? (are you reloading?) My guess is you're not getting fully resized (time to aneal) shoulder not bumping back enough.(head space)This causes bolt to not close fully so you can have pressure on the bolt causing hard retraction.