• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Exploding Primers

Mumbles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Pittsburgh Area
I recently bought some .308 FGMM from a local shop. It's the old blue/grey/white box stuff. I've had a couple primers pop in two different guns. Any ideas on what's causing this? Also, is it potentially dangerous? Should I quit using it and break it down for it's components, or is it a minor (but irritating) issue?

Re: Exploding Primers

Do you mean the primer is being pierced by the firing pin? Or backing out of the case? Those are signs of high pressure. Make sure to dry the chamber, any oil or solvent in the chamber will lead to high pressure.

James

I haven't figured out the extent of the pop yet. On my M1A, a couple ejected without their primers in the pockets. On a Savage FP10 they spit bits of torn up primer everywhere, and the ejector fell apart too.

Full story with all the details I've got:
I've fired about 40 rounds of this stuff, 20 through a Remington 700, 20 through an M1A. Another guy shooting with me with the same ammo from the same shop put 17 or so rounds through his Savage before his ejector flew out and he realized what was going on. I only fired 20 rounds that day and since I had no issues, I figured his rifle was to blame. The following weekend I was shooting my M1A, and before I even finished the first mag, I noticed a few of the casings were missing primers.

As far as accuracy, the R700 was grouping a hair under 1" at 100m, but I had no issues with that box of ammo. The guy next to me with the Savage was doing horribly, but he was doing just about everything wrong too, so I don't know if the ammo can be blamed. With the M1A I wasn't grouping, I was just shooting individual targets, but I did completely miss an 8" disc at 140m, I'm suspect it was one of the rounds that I later found without a primer in it, since I know I didn't throw the shot.

Can you put up a picture of some of the case heads that didn't blow the primer?

You are going to "F" up your bolt if gasses are passing by the primer along with it is not to good to have "bits of torn up primer everywhere" you need to stop shooting that stuff. If it is FACTORY new, even if on a shelf somewhere for a a few years or more the factory will replace the ammo if defective just look at the lot number and call Federal.

"You need to stop shooting that stuff"

No f*&king kidding. That stuff is hot for some reason. Check the lot numbers. Hoping it goes away is a sure way to get a trip to the hospital.

Three different rifles and the same pressure signs and you are still shooting this stuff? You need to stop and call Federal.

Just two rifles. It didn't do it in the 700. I was just an observer on the Savage, so I didn't think much of it, figured the guy's rifle was to blame. When it started in my M1A I quit. Well, I finished the mag (maybe not the best decision), but then I quit.

Here's a picture if anyone still wants to see it. Both from the M1A.
2afdfmo.jpg

Closer inspection shows the surviving primer was making a ridge around the strike. I should have caught that sooner. I wish I had saved the rest of the brass from that day, but I was shooting in the woods, and wasn't going to reload it. I did save the brass from the Remington because I had planned on reloading that. I'll have to give it a more thorough inspection tomorrow.

I can post the lot number tomorrow if anyone's interested. I'll call Federal on Monday.

Measure the od on the base of the case. If it is a pressure problem it will have blown the webbing out on the case. If its more then a few thou larger then thats the problem. Dont think its a good idea to shoot anymore of this untill you figure out the problem or talk to federal.

Don't worry, as I've said, I quit shooting this stuff over a week ago. I don't have the ammo, or my reloading stuff which would have my calipers, with me or I'd measure it, call Federal, post the lot number, etc.

The more I look at the casings I've got with me though, the more I notice signs of them being hot, for example ejector marks. There's a really clear example on the left one in the photo, covering the F of FC.