• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Exploring the NRL 22

Majja

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
A friend of mine has been shooting local NRL22 matches for about 6 months now. The other day I was at the range and got to spend some time behind his Tikka T1 in a KRG Bravo and I think I may want to explore this quite a bit more. I have shot USPSA for many years and do understand how equipment can dictate some out comes. I wish I could go full custom from the get go but I can not. I am looking at a couple of different options.

Looking at Tikka T1, CZ 457 or a Ruger 10/22. What are some of the options. I should look at. The gamer in me say I see where taking some time and building up a Kidd 10/22 as it is quicker cycling. How ever I really do not know a lot so please guide me.

Budget is always the concern, I would like to keep the budget for the initial lay our in the sub 700 area? (I really like the CZ 457 Varmint MTR) but if I needed to put off doing this for a while and go with the Varmint PRO could do that. Also Since I like to tinker though about ordering a Kidd action and Barrel and building up that way.

To many options and not enough money .. hehe This is just me thinking so any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks All

Once you get the hang of things in NRL22, in most stages time isn't really that much of an issue. The big advantage of the 10/22 for me is that I keep a better mental focus on my targets (i.e. KYL rack) by not having to cycle the bolt manually. The bad thing about 10/22 rifles is that the are a black-hole with direct access to your bank account and can suck it dry of funds. It's not necessary to have an expensive 10/22 to compete, but it's easy to begin chasing accuracy and the 10/22s are so easy to modify in steps and have a plethora of options. Example:

And now that same rifle just got a Proof Research barrel:

It's easy to fall down the rabbit-hole.

I own (among other 22LR rifles) the Tikka T1X, a CZ 457 MTR, and a few 10/22s. I wouldn't hesistate in the least to use any one of them for NRL22. In order to choose what's best for you, I'd suggest showing up at the local match and I'll bet the shooters there will be more than happy to let you try out their hardware. If you don't see the rifles you are interested in, take a trip to another NRL22 match.

Last edited:
I am looking at the 457 to replace a Kidd for NRL22. My main reason is temperature and ammo. I can see my Kidd choking this winter because of hard bullet lube. Time is not a factor with a bolt gun but dealing with a semi that doesn't run in the cold because of hard lube is.

I am looking at the 457 to replace a Kidd for NRL22. My main reason is temperature and ammo. I can see my Kidd choking this winter because of hard bullet lube. Time is not a factor with a bolt gun but dealing with a semi that doesn't run in the cold because of hard lube is.
Three words...

Lapua

Polar

Biathlon

And if it is not accurate enough I should use it any way?

It's a hassle and expensive but if you sent the rifle off to the Lapua test facility they'll find a good lot of ammo that shoots well in your rifle, then buy a case of it. Save it only for serious work, unlike me, arggg, that last 4000 went way to quick!

For what they want for a case of that stuff I could just about build a rifle, It only stays that cold around here for 4 months. That is 4 matches other than my club the closest match is 100 miles to far to drive and shoot would have to stay over night for my eyes to relax enough. Cheaper for me to build a bolt gun for the cold weather.

My son and I both shoot NRL22 and absolutely love it. PRS is fun but I honestly enjoy the 22 matches a lot more. We have gone through several rifles and rifle configurations since we started. I finally found a rifle and chassis that has just been absolutely perfect for me. I am shooting a T1x in a Bravo. My rifle hangs right with all the Tricked out CZ’s and Vudoo rifles without a problem for significantly less money. I have yet to find a ammo that it doesn’t shoot well either. We are currently in the process of retiring my sons current rifle and building him a T1x. One thing to keep in mind is most organizations have a bolt class and a semiauto class so the time you spend working the bolt will not be an issue since everyone in you class will be doing the same. At least that is the way all the matches around here are.

A friend of mine has been shooting local NRL22 matches for about 6 months now. The other day I was at the range and got to spend some time behind his Tikka T1 in a KRG Bravo and I think I may want to explore this quite a bit more. I have shot USPSA for many years and do understand how equipment can dictate some out comes. I wish I could go full custom from the get go but I can not. I am looking at a couple of different options.

Looking at Tikka T1, CZ 457 or a Ruger 10/22. What are some of the options. I should look at. The gamer in me say I see where taking some time and building up a Kidd 10/22 as it is quicker cycling. How ever I really do not know a lot so please guide me.

Budget is always the concern, I would like to keep the budget for the initial lay our in the sub 700 area? (I really like the CZ 457 Varmint MTR) but if I needed to put off doing this for a while and go with the Varmint PRO could do that. Also Since I like to tinker though about ordering a Kidd action and Barrel and building up that way.

To many options and not enough money .. hehe This is just me thinking so any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks All

I don't shoot NRL22, no matches close. If you are thinking about a 10-22. Save yourself time and money. Go with a Kidd Supergrade complete barreled action and a Titan Stock with Titan's rear anchor.
I have a Tikka T1X and a CZ 455 varmint, both shoot great. The Tikka can shoot in the base class with a mid price scope. IT can shoot with the best of them. I placed 1st in a 200 yds steel match with 3 Vudoos in the mix. It is all about knowing your gun, ammo and reading the wind.
Mark

Reactions: RandomWAguy