• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Export fees US - UK.... Sound reasonable?

JumpJim

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2017
Hi folks.

We are looking to ship a rifle we’ve had made in San Jose, CA back to the U.K.

Spartan (in the U.K.) hold a Registered Firearms Dealer ticket so import into the U.K. is no big issue.

To export from the US we have been quoted fees of 10% of the value of the rifle, plus shipping costs and I just wanted to know if that was about average or expensive? I understand I need a DSP-5 but is it a real PITA to complete?

Any input either way greatly appreciated.

Hello Spartan Jim,

Most export companies here either charge a flat fee for the exportation license or the % of value type fee. Depending on the value of your rifle you may want to search for exporter that operates on flat fee.
Also...I am not sure as to the lead time of your rifle being ready but the US Department of State is currently reviewing the ITAR procedures specifically for Category I, II, and III (Common Off The Shelf, not specifically designed for MIL use). They are discussing removing those categories from DDTC ITAR control and put them into Department of Commerce EAR control.

Sincerely,
THEIS

Jim,....SGC in Newport ( U.K), will handle the import for you. It not a big issue and not overly complicated. Speak to Mike.