• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Export of Scope from Canada to Australia

Hodgie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2009
Australia
G'day,

This is my first post, so I'm hoping I haven't cocked up and put it in the wrong section. If I have, could one of the moderators please point me in the right direction?

I'm looking to buy a Hensoldt 4-16 x56 FFP rifle scope. I have looked at possibly buying it from the United States but the ITAR would seem to prohibit that. I'm thinking that buying it from Canada would be a potentialy easier option. I will admit that they are available for purchase in Australia, but that option would be around $1000 more expensive.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to purchase the optic from Canada and have it shipped via a US DoD APO address? I am currently serving in Afghanistan and work alongside US personnel. I just don't want to get anyone into any strife due to the legalities of it all.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Hodgie.

Re: Export of Scope from Canada to Australia

Have a US soldier buddy ship it to his APO box from wherever you can get it the cheapest then take it home? Or are the Aussies weird about bringing home optics?

I find this ironic, in a headshaking way.......I am a Canuck who badly wants to order a scope, any scope, from the USA. Seems that they are deemed "materiel of war" or sumthin stoopid like that. Had to order a Redfield (?) from Cabelas.ca because of the Accurange reticle in it. I WILL get an IOR or USO for the 7mm WSM build I am planning, however.......

OK let see, where do I start.
In order to import an item from ITAR list you are going to need an International Import Certificate issued by your government with your name address and the vendor name, address, the model of the scope you are going to purchase, value of the scope etc.
You have to contact the Australian (Export Controls Division)this is how it's called in Canada.
I got my IIC in 5 days after I filled up the forms (you can do it on line)
After you get the IIC you have to send it to your vendor,( I'm talking about a US based vendor)and he is going to send it and get it approved by US export department/FBI /NSA, who ever approves those things and they will issue to the vendor an International Export Certificate.
In order to get approved they will run a background check on you. The whole process will take around 2-3 weeks. Not a problem since you are in the military.
Once your vendor has the International EXPORT Certificate he can send you the scope.
It is very important to get the import certificate for warranty purposes.
If you need to send the scope out of the country for repairs you can prove that you have legally imported the scope.
I think you can find better prices in the US, I don't know many Henny suppliers here up north.
Give ALEX from EuroOptics a call he will be more than happy to help you.
If you are still looking to buy from Canada I can PM you the guys I'm buying my stuff from(they deal with military contracts) it might be easier because of the commonwealth thing but I'm not too sure about the laws, you have to call to find out.

Oh, one more thing make sure all the paper work has your name on it.
If you have a US brother in arms to get it for you, I don't know how the warranty is going to work.
Hope this helps. Fight smart get home safe.

Thanks for all the advice lads. I won't be able to get it through any of the US guys that I work with, without reams of paperwork being filled out. If a US soldier buys it and then hands it to me without an export licence from the State Dept, that's a federal felony. One of the blokes here on the forum is looking to try and source me one from Germany via Finland. Damned good price by the looks of it too. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers, Hodgie.

MB4810AP - I suppose in one regard we're lucky in Australia. We can import optics without any paperwork as they are seen in the same light as regular binoculars or a telescope. You just need extra paperwork if the sighting device emits LASER or has a Tritium illumination source.

Cheers, Hodgie.