• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

External differences between BigHorn TL3 and Defiance Deviant

_Raining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I have a Defiance Deviant pillar & glass bedded to a Manners T5A stock. I have read how Deviants can be prone to binding up in dusty situations. I also think the CRF/ME of the TL3 is neat. How difficult would it be to switch from the Defiance to the TL3, as far as keeping the stock. It is also a Rem Varmint profile barrel and I wanted to switch to a Heavy Palma. Would there be minimal effort in opening up the barrel channel and rebedding to the TL3? Would that be done by a gunsmith or should I see if Manners can do it? I did send Manners an email a few days ago but have not heard back from them so I figured I would ask here and get a general idea of what my options are.

I do understand that they are both Rem 700 footprints but when selecting a action on a lot of manufacturers websites there are separate options so I figure there has to be some sort of a difference as far as inlet goes.

-Thanks-

How does your defiance behave? Doing the Swap you’re proposing based on what you heard from others doesn’t seem very sound. I personally prefer the Bighorn, but if your defiance is smooth and functioning properly, you’re not gonna get anything more out of the Bighorn.

I have not participated in any PRS matches. Right now I am just doing mid range F Class. PRS is sort of a thing I would like to do but first I need to get into good enough shape where I can walk from 1 stage to the next and not have a heart attack .

I definitely have a ton of things to research and make decisions about. I just didn't want to flood the topic with a massive amount of questions.

My opinion would be that you would be throwing money away that can be better spent elsewhere. The deviant is one of the most popular, most used actions in the PRS (GAP Templar V2 is the same). The only time I have heard of issues is when the action and bolt are both cerakoted and it takes a while to "wear-in". It is recommended be Defiance to not cerakote both, if you cerakote the action then ion-bond or similar the bolt to not reduce the clearances.

Save the money on swapping actions, rebedding, shipping, etc and spend it on ammo, glass, matches, etc.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/04/21/custom-rifle-actions-2/

Reactions: OG10 and lash
I've had both and am currently running Bighorn, have run both in very dusty conditions. I would say don't bother with changing actions around, run what you've got it will work fine. The worst you'll run into is the need to pull the bolt and wipe it down with a rag maybe once or twice during the day.

Reactions: kthomas
My opinion would be that you would be throwing money away that can be better spent elsewhere. The deviant is one of the most popular, most used actions in the PRS (GAP Templar V2 is the same). The only time I have heard of issues is when the action and bolt are both cerakoted and it takes a while to "wear-in". It is recommended be Defiance to not cerakote both, if you cerakote the action then ion-bond or similar the bolt to not reduce the clearances.

Save the money on swapping actions, rebedding, shipping, etc and spend it on ammo, glass, matches, etc.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/04/21/custom-rifle-actions-2/
I've had both and am currently running Bighorn, have run both in very dusty conditions. I would say don't bother with changing actions around, run what you've got it will work fine. The worst you'll run into is the need to pull the bolt and wipe it down with a rag maybe once or twice during the day.
These are your answers. Spend your money on ammo and practice and training. That's where you will get your best results.

Yeah, after reading these comments I am going to leave the defiance in place. I may still switch to a 6 mm when the 6.5 creedmoor barrel dies out. In the mean time I will also be saving up for a Bighorn TL3 and make it a switch barrel to get some 223 training, 308 F T/R and 7 WSM longer range shooting. That way I can have 2 rifles to help reduce the down time at the range waiting for the barrel to cool.

-Thanks-

I have both. I would be hard pressed to have to pick one. The bolt lift on the Bighorn is lighter, but the Deviant cycles slightly smoother. It's nitrided instead of cerakote. As long as you keep slight downward pressure the Bighorn doesn't bind. The bolt release is finicky on the Bighorn. That's my only complaint.