• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extra high rings for lens caps or medium and bikini caps?

hom3steady

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2023
Texas
This is my first bolt rifle build and I need some experienced input on this decision.
Bergara Premier HMR Pro
20MOA Seekins Precision rail and Seekins Precision medium height 30mm rings
Trijicon AccuPoint 4-24x50
Everything went together perfectly, no bedding needing. Ring height was perfect (.125" barrel clearance), until I tried to screw on the front flip cap...
Since these Trijicon flip caps screw onto the front or the sun-shade, instead of pressing on, I need about .49" clearance to be able to add or remove it whenever I want.
That would require Seekins Precision Extra High rings (1.26") instead of the mediums.
Should I just use the included clear bikini caps with the medium (.87") rings or is it worth going extra high to use the flip caps? Any downside to using extra high rings?

Thank you for any advice or thoughts on this decision.

Extra high rings are all upside. You should go to those. This has nothing to do with lens cap choice and everything to do with natural head position.

I always use bikini covers because flip ups annoy me/block my view/get knocked off and break.

That has the adjustable comb right?

Put taller rings on. Worst case you have to bump the comb up a little.

It's not the 50s anymore. We don't need to shoot rifles like shotguns.
It is adjustable. Thank y'all for the input. I will be getting the extra high rings.

Id just skip caps altogether, bikini if you are that scared, and stay with what you already have

Id just skip caps altogether, bikini if you are that scared, and stay with what you already have
Because you think the lower height is better? I do hate thinking about the glass getting scratched, but it is still brand new. So that tends to wear off as it ages.

Because you think the lower height is better? I do hate thinking about the glass getting scratched, but it is still brand new. So that tends to wear off as it ages.
No but because youve already spent money on a perfectly fine set up aside from wanting to use weird caps.

Reactions: hom3steady
I really considered that, but the sun shade would have to be left on or off all the time as well.

So?

It really doesn't hurt anything. It helps keep excessive light from hitting the objective and washing out the image.

I keep sun shades on most of my scopes no matter what. I can still see past legal hunting hours and indoors.

So?

It really doesn't hurt anything. It helps keep excessive light from hitting the objective and washing out the image.

I keep sun shades on most of my scopes no matter what. I can still see past legal hunting hours and indoors.
Thank you, I have no experience with this yet and was wondering if the sun shade would often be helpful.

I never use the shade or caps personally because I havent found it to really help anything either.

Sun shades can help to keep the objective clean in dusty environments and dry in wet environments- both in the absence of scope caps. I keep them on ally my scopes that came with them.

Bikini style are far more preferable to the flip up stuff for my purposes. I would make sure you are or aren't comfortable with what you have in the way of ring height before you run out and buy high ones. I just had an issue with a CZ457 being too low a comb with med XTR rings and a pic rail on it, even with the stock being the Boyd's AT-one. Put a Victor cheek riser on it, to get me to a proper position and get rid of the tunnel krap that occurs when the comb isn't the right height. Did that on a T3X as well that has the med XTR rings and a pic rail, it took 2 spacers & the cheek pc, the CZ only needed 1 spacer.
My range guns that I don't take hunting, have never really needed lens covers, all have sunshades on the front, find I seldom need to clean them. Bikinis are PDQ to pop off when hunting, use rubber bands to tie them to the scope, never lose them, no hinges to bust. Have some of the old Butler creek/Uncle Mikes that are 35+ yrs old, work just fine. Wish they still made that version.