• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extra mags, needed at a tactical match?

Alan Griffith

Sergeant
Minuteman
When competing at a tactical match with a bolt gun, are extra mags usually used/needed for certain courses of fire?

I can understand having them for when the primary mag goes down but.....are there courses of fire where mag changes are needed or just required to make things interesting?

And what capacity for an AICS; 5 and/or 10 round?

Alan

Re: Extra mags, needed at a tactical match?

I can't speak for other matches but I know one stage at the Practical Marksman called for 15 rifle rounds with two mandatory mag changes in 3 minutes. The folks with internal mags or no extra mags were at a distinct disadvantage.

I would recommend at a bare minimum two 5 round mags and one 10 round mag. I run 3 of each. Less chances of needing to shoot and not having mags loaded.

I keep three tens and a five in my kit.
We had a stage last weekend with 25 rounds, but you had to single load the first 5 rounds so I just used two 10's to finish the stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am with Rob01.

I run five 10round mags and three 5round mags.</div></div>

Wow, that's a few more than me.

You can get by most matches safely with 2 5's and 2 10's, but more is always better
smile.gif

I run with 2 10's and 3 5's. Seems to work for me just right.