• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extra Soot Around Neck, Normal?

vvillium3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Stevensville, MI
Gentlemen,

Quick question, just shot my first real reloads with necks turned down & proper neck tension. Have a little extra soot around the neck of the brass (more than normal with FGMM). Is this normal or excessive? Here's a pic:

5fef7ed2.jpg

c8834740.jpg

Also, my load info:

175 grain SMK
Winchester Brass
0.013"-0.014" neck wall thickness
0.002" neck tension
43 grains Varget
BR-2 primers

Thanks for all that viewed and commented,
Jason C.

Re: Extra Soot Around Neck, Normal?

that is a pretty light load, try increasing the powder charge and the soot may lighten up a bit but will never completely disappear, that is what the tumblers are for.

Congrats on your first reloads, I've seen more and less soot then
that on reloads. A guess would be you are shooting them out of a factory
stick?

I know it's a little on the light side, but haven't seen it like this until I turned down the necks..... Afraid the neck isn't sealing off due to extra clearance now to chamber walls.

Actually a little exciting to do some tumbling. Just got all of my stainless steel tumbling media & tumbler in!!!!!

Thanks,
Jason C.

Johndoe,

Thank you! Not my first reloads, but to a prep level I want.

The gun is the following specs:

Stiller TAC30 action
Schneider M40 24" barrel
Put together by Pierce engineering (Lansing, MI)

How did the load shoot? Are you trying to shoot cleaner or better groups?

The soot just means the case neck isn't completely sealing off the case mouth while the powder burns. There are several things it could be. But few of them are conclusive or detrimental to accuracy. The fact that it's only on the case necks is a good thing. If it were going farther down the case I would worry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Johndoe,

Thank you! Not my first reloads, but to a prep level I want.

The gun is the following specs:

Stiller TAC30 action
Schneider M40 24" barrel
Put together by Pierce engineering (Lansing, MI) </div></div>

I dug out some once fired Federal Match brass and the soot looked similiar so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Like Vic said if it's not farther down like
on the shoulder you are good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did the load shoot? Are you trying to shoot cleaner or better groups?

The soot just means the case neck isn't completely sealing off the case mouth while the powder burns. There are several things it could be. But few of them are conclusive or detrimental to accuracy. The fact that it's only on the case necks is a good thing. If it were going farther down the case I would worry. </div></div>

Victor,

Thanks for the info. Accuracy is superb, just wanted to be sure everything is operating as it should. Still need to ladder test & work up a load, its just this was my first time to the range with 100% brass & bullet prep.

As all of you have said, no need to worry with what I have. Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.

Regards,
Jason C.