• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Extraction issues

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
Having some issues with rounds not extracting fro my mkII FV 22lr. I clean the chamber and bolt after shooting,but am having problems ejecting Win. subs. Wolf,Aguila,Fed., no prob. What gives?
Thanks for any help,
Eric

Re: Extraction issues

Try CCI mini-mag solids
wink.gif

LG

I am running Wolf MT's ,Aguila subs and having no issues, the only rounds not extracting when I work the bolt, are the Win. subs. Even cheap Fed lightnings extract fine.
Anyone have similar issues, or suggestions?

there's a bunch of stuff on RFC about ejection problems and solutions with the MKII, plus it think there were a few threads here. i hate referencing one forum on another, but here's one of the RFC threads. (we gotta get a good pictorial thread here on bolt disassembly, etc.)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365900&highlight=mkii+extraction

use their search for "MKII extraction" "MKII failure to extract" "MKII FTE" etc.

you can take off the retaining clip (the black spring metal C shaped clamp) at the front of the bolt, then remove the extractors and get the gunk out of it. then GENTLY squeeze the retaining clip to give more tension to the extractors. just be careful not to over squeeze and screw up the general shape of the clip.

found a thread here
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2243654

i also had a half assed theory last month.

going through some known bad ammo, i was having some extraction issues, but with the extreme rim thicknesses i had with that ammo i though the extractor band clip "fix" just wasn't picking up the rims due to the thinner rims.

then ran some wolf MT through it, had similiar extraction issues, but not as many. then ran som CCI blazers, some fed bulk, and some winc. wildcats - all HV rounds, no extraction issues at all. they did have slightly thicker rims too.

the half assed theory was that i thought that possibly the extra "umph" from the HV rounds may have allowed the emty casing to get blown back or "seated" into the bolt / extractors more firmly resulting in a more consistant extraction, or possibly the slightly thicker rims may have had something to do with it. maybe even a combination of both. but i got frustrated and fed up and didn't pursue it more.

once before i had similiar extraction issues, there was some gunk on the face of the chamber and in those "extractor channels" to either side of the chamber face. i could only assume that wouldn't allow the bolt to completly mate to the chamber face as once i clean it off the face and out of the channels, extraction wasn't a problem.

I thought cleaning would help, as this problem popped up about 2 weeks ago. Cleaned the chamber and bolt, but after about 20 rounds of the Win. subs started FTE again. Switched to some Wolf MT and no problem. After a few rounds of the Wolf switched back to the Win.'s and everything cycled fine for about 10 rounds the FTE's. I never had this issue with the Win subs in the past, but now is pretty regular with this bunch. Only bought 4 boxes, so ...
I too wonder if maybe just a bad lot, as all other ammo I run does not cause the FTE.
Chamber is clean, no gunk around extractor's, nothing built up in slots on either side of the chamber.
Will try the readjustment of the extractor spring clip, hopefully this will remedy the situation.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Eric

TP,

sounds like you know your stuff really well. good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you can take off the retaining clip (the black spring metal C shaped clamp) at the front of the bolt, then remove the extractors and get the gunk out of it. then GENTLY squeeze the retaining clip to give more tension to the extractors. just be careful not to over squeeze and screw up the general shape of the clip.
</div></div>

The above finally fixed the same problem for me. No issues since.

Also, make sure the "c" spring isn't in backward. That was a problem I had, with my MKII BV, and once I figured out the spring was just in backward I haven't had a single issue with it.
What happens if it is backward is the extractors aren't allowed to sit far enough forward to 'grab' the rim consistently.

I'm no expert here, but just based on my personal experience, I might recommend the same remedy I used on my Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 MOE.

Go buy a 500 round brick of the most high velocity 22LR you can find - like that Remington Yellow Jacket Hyper Velocity whatnot - run that whole 500 rounds through the weapon over the course of however long it takes you, and then go back to the weaker stuff.

I can now cycle all the weak stuff that used to jam me up, though understand - I have not experimented with the subsonic 22 ammo through my MOE.

- Oh and for what it’s worth (probably not much ha ha) the CCI 22 Long Subsonics do cycle my Ruger Mark 3 pistol just fine.