• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Extractor Style

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I'm ordering a PTG bolt for a 6.5CM project and the options are either a Sako or M16 style extractor. Either one have advantage over the other?

Sako extractors are not as stout when in comes to staying in place during a gas rupture. The m-16 and mini 16 are pinned in place and much safer option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - the mini is .190 wide compared to .248 for the full M16. I agree pinned is better but was not sure if the difference in the width was a big deal or not.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a bolt from them. I ordered a Remington extractor.

I'm ordering a PTG bolt for a 6.5CM project and the options are either a Sako or M16 style extractor. Either one have advantage over the other?

I'd order the bolt with spiral flutes, M16 extractor, threaded bolt handle and elliptical bumps ground to .704" and have the receiver raceway reamed to .705". Good luck with your project, should be a shooter.

If the bumps are ground to .704 how much clearance on the rest of the bolt body to allow for an easily cycled bolt? Thanks AF

If the bumps are ground to .704 how much clearance on the rest of the bolt body to allow for an easily cycled bolt? Thanks AF

You could run the standard .700" bolt body with .704" elliptical bumps and be fine. The elliptical bumps would tighten up on closure but upon opening create more clearance for smother bolt cycling.

I have a Stiller action which, I believe, uses a PT&G bolt with a M16 extractor. I had a problem with the ejection of the fired case being flipped up into the windage turret on my scope. The case cleared the action but it sure chewed up the windage knob.

You could run the standard .700" bolt body with .704" elliptical bumps and be fine. The elliptical bumps would tighten up on closure but upon opening create more clearance for smother bolt cycling.

Is that a typical way you like to set them up?

Is that a typical way you like to set them up?

If I were to order one tomorrow I'd order the bolt with spiral flutes, M16 extractor, threaded bolt handle and elliptical bumps ground to .704" with a .700" bolt body and have the receiver raceway reamed to .705".