• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Extreme Newbie question: Where to get starting data

dpilot83

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2010
I bought this gun:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/firearms-sale/162615-custom-rem-700-7mm-rsaum-*spf.html

I will be getting my feet wet on reloading with it.

Currently reading all the stickies and the ABC's of reloading. I would imagine as I work my way through all that, these questions will be answered, but I was looking around at load charts and I found I have some questions.

I don't really have components that are any good for the gun. I don't think the H4831SC is bad by any means from what I've read so far. The Federal GM215M primers are probably overkill but likely won't hurt anything. The 140 grain Pro Hunter Sierra bullets are not really any good for the gun I would imagine though. That's what I could find on short notice though. I would like to start loading as soon as I digest the reading material I mentioned so I just got what I could get.

So my question is, when I go to the Hodgdon site, I find that it lists 140 grain 7mm bullets for H4831 (which they say is ballistically identical to H4831SC) but it doesn't list the bullets I have. Will different 140 grain bullets impact starting and max loads enough to worry about? If so, where do I find information for that specific bullet mixed with that primer and powder? Like I say, I'm aware it's kindof an odd combination but it's what I can access at the moment and I'm anxious to start learning. Thanks.

Congratulations on your new rifle. The 7mm Rem SAUM is a fine round even though it is not enormously popular. As to load data here's where you can get some:

- You certainly can use Hodgdon's even though your 140 gr bullet is not the same as the one they use. Remember MIN and MAX load are just guideposts and are not etched on stone tablets., so the starting load will be fine, but the max load should be approached with some caution.

- You could buy Sierra's load manual for exact data.

- You could call or e-mail Sierra and just ask for load data just for that bullet and powder combo. Most bullet companies will provide the data for one bullet for free.

- Did you know that the 280 Rem Ackley Improved has almost the identical case capacity to the 7mm RSUM? So if you can find load data on the net for that round you could use it's starting load data for your round as the case capacities are within 1 grain (the 280's Imp. is less).

Thank you very much. So if I'm understanding you correctly, bullet manufacturers provide information for how their bullets work with most reasonable powders rather than powder manufacturers providing information for how their powders work with every bullet. That would make sense.

What BobinNC said. I usually try to read a few different reloading books and look up plenty of info on what Im going to be reloading. Kinda gives you a larger field of view,so to speak.