• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eye cup

mystryak

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 24, 2018
What is the reason to not use a eye cup to help get a better “eye box” faster. I tried one out for fun and found I’m instantly at the proper eye relief and have a better fov. Not kind of bouncing around so much. This would seem to help, but I dont see anyone using them. I understand for NV devices it helps to cancel light, but what are the downfalls for PRS/NRL shooting?
EBDE325B-8654-42EE-9442-75903FF38C48.jpeg

There’s nothing “wrong” with them necessarily, but they just shouldn’t be needed. You should have the same eye relief each time you get behind your rifle. That just requires proper scope and rifle setup, and proper mechanics. If an eye cup works for you but removing it doesn’t, you need to identify why.

Also to add that it seems to be a good way to get a black eye behind higher recoil magnum cartridges lol.

Also to add that it seems to be a good way to get a black eye behind higher recoil magnum cartridges lol.

What? Why? Your eye is the same distance with the cup as without it. The cup is flexible rubber.

Also if you're getting scope whipped an eye cup is the least of your problems

What? Why? Your eye is the same distance with the cup as without it. The cup is flexible rubber.

Also if you're getting scope whipped an eye cup is the least of your problems
Look at his picture again.
Does that whole eye cup look like flexible rubber? Maybe it is, but my main point was that it shouldn’t be necessary. Any thoughts on the OP’s question?

I mentioned that if you need an eye cup your mechanics could be lacking, re: your second sentence.

Same reason you don’t use training wheels your whole life. At some point it should become muscle memory and you shouldn’t need it

Reactions: jb0311
There’s nothing “wrong” with them necessarily, but they just shouldn’t be needed. You should have the same eye relief each time you get behind your rifle. That just requires proper scope and rifle setup, and proper mechanics. If an eye cup works for you but removing it doesn’t, you need to identify why.
I’ll agree with that. It just feels like on a bow if you use a kisser button, you get that same anchor point no matter what. I get what I would say I’m happy with eye box no problem from prone or seated etc. But so far off obstacles it feels real uncomfortable sometimes…I get there but I lose a couple seconds.

Reactions: jb0311
I’ll agree with that. It just feels like on a bow if you use a kisser button, you get that same anchor point no matter what. I get what I would say I’m happy with eye box no problem from prone or seated etc. But so far off obstacles it feels real uncomfortable sometimes…I get there but I lose a couple seconds.
I would say just focus on how you’re setting up on the rifle without it. There’s likely something you keep doing different in regards to check weld. Maybe someone can video you getting behind the rifle so you can review and pinpoint what you’re doing.
Also some scopes have less forgiving eye boxes as well. I have heard that the EP5 has a tight eyebox but have never personally been behind one. You may find that a different scope makes it easier to pick up quickly.

Reactions: mystryak