• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Eye dominance and fatigue

automatik

Pew Addict
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2013
The woods
Came across a Facebook thread today that was talking about reticle such as the Tremor3 creating eye fatigue. Someone posted a response that made me think a little. Does such phenomenon happen and how does the eye work for such uses?

Below is a post someone made.

The eye automatically centers everything you look at. When you first look at something you look at the center first. The your focus expands out. The eye wants to keep central point as focus. So you are actually fighting what the eyes want to do naturally. Now. The dominant eye is what gives shape structure and depth to everything. The non dominant eye is what gives color. When you close one eye you’re making the one eye do all of those tasks. The eye is a muscle that just like anything when it’s over loaded especially at the distance the reticle is from the eye it has to work to focus on both target and reticle to line them up. Now add in the all the addition clutter and the eye has to constantly work to keep the one key part in focus without being distracted. Like I said there is plenty of other information out there. I’m not trying to spoon feed l, just sharing a point that helps me stay first round impacts and tight groups at distance. Do the research. Formulate your own opinion. Use what works for you. It’s just something that in my experience has had helped clients when they are trying to refine their abilities. Rather hoping for a second round hit l. I train for the first.

I have two scopes with tremor setups and many more without. The scopes also vary in quality from Leupold and Vortex to Steiner MX5i and Schmidt PM2. Now, my time behind the glass might not be as long as other but I have done all day comps. I believe the quality of the glass plays more into eye fatigue than what reticle is in the scope. I have spent plenty of time behind the Steiner that has a Tremor and it is much easier on my eyes than my Leupy with a TMR reticle. Just my point of view!!! P.S. The value a good reticle for certain types of shooting probably provides more positives than negatives.

Reactions: 47guy and Fig
@koshkin can chime in, but I agree that quality and clarity probably matter more in terms of fatigue than reticle. If your eye is constantly working to focus and it never quite does I would think that would definitely cause fatigue.

I think glass has a bigger effect on fatigue as above.
I’ve spotted for others a lot with a atacr with tremor 3 with no issues with fatigue.

My old HS-T would give me a headache with extended viewing with a far simpler reticle.

The original statement is sort of a half truth, like someone spent a lot of time reading wikipedia. My best guess it is written by an instructor who was trying to figure out why his students struggle with Tremor3 and did a bunch of internet research. I could be wrong, of course.

Generally, I am not a big fan of Tremor3 and I think most modern tree reticles have a little too much stuff in them.

Eye fatigue comes from distortion, color issues and trying to keep track of too much stuff in the reticle.

Some scopes just cause eye fatigue, while others simply have improperly adjusted eyepieces.

Generally, weird distortion and low contrast are the biggest problems. However when you have a huge grid reticle that is all over the place combined with distortion that's the worst. All those lines move and swim in a weird way and look curved. That is one of the reasons why you should generally avoid aiming with a point that is too far away from the center.

I have designed a few reticles here and there and there is a reason I keep the tree contained in 12 mrad or less. For me personally, I'd likely limit the tree to 6 or 8 mrad, but the market usually wants more.

When there is a grid going down 20 mrad or more, you can pretty much geuess that some marketing guy had too much time on his hands.

ILya

much of the 'fatigue' referred to is related to focusing the eyepiece for the individual. I believe many shooters don't know how to do this, or do it improperly, or don't check it periodically. there is plenty of well-intentioned misinformation in the first post above. for example, saying the non-dominant eye gives color vision: that's...absurd. both eyes are capable of color vision, all the time. btw I am a retired optometrist. another major cause of eye fatigue for shooters could be an uncorrected refractive error. ever notice how many shooters don't wear corrective eyewear? it's not likely that they all don't need one. and, nearly everyone over 30 has lost enough accommodation(near focusing ability) that a day of focusing near to far and back could easily cause visual fatigue. I used to make the argument that every school-age child could benefit from the use of 'reading glasses' for a similar reason. those are 3 of the most obvious causes. none of them are specifically related to the dominant eye. in the hunter safety courses I used to do eye screenings for, the instructors used to change the rifle side to the dominant eye side. presumably this has already been done. unfortunately i don't have any experience with the specific scope listed. there may be specific issues there.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Reactions: automatik
The original statement is sort of a half truth, like someone spent a lot of time reading wikipedia. My best guess it is written by an instructor who was trying to figure out why his students struggle with Tremor3 and did a bunch of internet research. I could be wrong, of course.

Generally, I am not a big fan of Tremor3 and I think most modern tree reticles have a little too much stuff in them.

Eye fatigue comes from distortion, color issues and trying to keep track of too much stuff in the reticle.

Some scopes just cause eye fatigue, while others simply have improperly adjusted eyepieces.

Generally, weird distortion and low contrast are the biggest problems. However when you have a huge grid reticle that is all over the place combined with distortion that's the worst. All those lines move and swim in a weird way and look curved. That is one of the reasons why you should generally avoid aiming with a point that is too far away from the center.

I have designed a few reticles here and there and there is a reason I keep the tree contained in 12 mrad or less. For me personally, I'd likely limit the tree to 6 or 8 mrad, but the market usually wants more.

When there is a grid going down 20 mrad or more, you can pretty much geuess that some marketing guy had too much time on his hands.

ILya

Pretty much what I was thinking. I got lost when he started talking about the non-dominant eye being for color..