• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Eye Dominance Question

RTV

Rock the Vote
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2019
Hello Snipershide i hope this is the right section for this question.

I have a bit of a dilemma and am hoping to pull from the knowledge/ expirence everyone here has for help with it.

I am left eye dominant and left handed however due to an accident when I was 9 my left eye is significantly worse than my right eye. I have not had it tested recently but the same text I can read easily with my right eye (or both eyes combined) is very difficult to unreadable with just my left eye.

Given this issue when shooting long range should I train myself to shoot right handed or just stick it out and shoot left handed?

Any recommendations on trying to train for right handed shooting?

I have to agree with everyone else so far. Shoot left handed if you can. Which makes me wonder, are you asking because your vision can’t be corrected any better than it is? Or are you just wondering if you’d be better off retraining yourself to shoot right handed?

I have to agree with everyone else so far. Shoot left handed if you can. Which makes me wonder, are you asking because your vision can’t be corrected any better than it is? Or are you just wondering if you’d be better off retraining yourself to shoot right handed?

Honestly It never occurred to me I might be able to get it corrected. They never did anything at the time of the accident but back then my vision was 19/20 with the bad eye and over the years I guess I just automatically assumed that this is just how my left eye vision will be.

I'm going to schedule an appointment with an optometrist and see what my options are.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I grew up in a right handed world being left handed. They tried to force me to be right handed in school. I was told I couldn't write left handed, but I bucked them and stayed left handed. However in sports, everyone had right handed equipment. Playing baseball, we all shared and I was forced to learn how to hit and throw right handed. But later on, I went back to being a lefty. So when I got into shooting, I started out left handed but when I went to semi auto stuff, I switched to being a righty.

Now I am able to shoot handguns and long guns with either hand. However I am left eye dominant. When shooting handguns right handed, I close my left eye to prevent ghosting of the sights.

So, I guess what I'm getting at, is as a lefty, it wouldn't hurt too try to shoot both ways. I actually have competitions with myself at the range. I like to see what side shoots better that day.

As a reference, I am left eye dominant and right handed as my right vision is worse than my left. However, using a scope, it really makes very little difference as I can see good enough--thus I shoot right handed.

It all really depends on just how bad your vision is--it sounds like you know the difference, but as long as you can see the target and reticle--rock on. Sometimes I even take my prescription glasses off for shooting glasses so super vision is not a requirement to be good.

Reactions: RTV
The way you're going to shoot the best is where it's most comfortable and most consistent. Doesn't matter at all if it's dominant or cross dominant eye sight

I'm going to schedule an appointment with an optometrist and see what my options are.

Find an opthalmologist who is a shooter. I thought my distance vision was perfect and couldn't be improved upon for shooting. Boy, was I wrong. My eye doctor (who shoots) fitted me with a pair of lenses just for shooting. It made a definite improvement in both scope and iron sight shooting.

Reactions: RTV
Find an opthalmologist who is a shooter. I thought my distance vision was perfect and couldn't be improved upon for shooting. Boy, was I wrong. My eye doctor (who shoots) fitted me with a pair of lenses just for shooting. It made a definite improvement in both scope and iron sight shooting.

I'm somewhat farsighted, and backing off my prescription .50 diopters seems to be the sweet spot for iron sights and scopes alike. I can still acquire targets with my naked eye, but it's easier to focus on things up close as well. I'm barely pushing 40 so my eyes are still flexible enough that a minor change works well. I'm not looking forward to 50+ lol.