• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

eye relief? cheek weld?

tinman52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2008
Delware
Thanks for all your help on the flinching issue guys. Good suggestions all. Now, I have another question for you. I'm having a problem aligning my eye with the scope. I do have a carlsten cheek piece,lined up and tight. I get the right sight picture for a moment then, the shadows being to appear and everything falls apart. Sometimes totally dark. I shift my head around to try and get it back, but nothing.

I'm shooting an 700 5r and I believe that the stock is a little short. I have a HS stock coming with adjustable cheek piece and butt plate hope this helps. Any ideas?

thanks

mike

Re: eye relief? cheek weld?

You should position the scope where it is comfortable. The distance between your eye and the scope should be anywhere around 3-6" usually depending on the scope and weapon used. The stock might be the problem for you. Your cheekweld is not aligning your eye with the scope correctly and making the 'shadows' appear. Check your cheekweld on the mirror or something and see if your eye is parallel with the scope. You might need to lower or raise the cheekpad on your stock if it has an adjustable one. There are many options for doing these things but it takes trial and error until you have everything dialed in right for you.

Good luck

What scope, base, and rings? Pictures of how you have it set up would helpful as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What scope, base, and rings? Pictures of how you have it set up would helpful as well. </div></div>

What he said!

If your cheekpiece is in the right spot you should be able to get behind the rifle with your eyes closed, get in a firing position and when you open your eyes the sight picture is good.

Are you really new to using scopes? A guy at work who rarely shoots highpower rifle was having the same problem as you with his Leupold scope on his 30-06. He brought the rifle to me because he thought there was something wrong with the scope. Scope was fine,he just wasn't experianced with it and couldn't find or maintain proper eye relief and alinement. Told him to take it home and practice looking through the scope. His scope was a VXIII 3x9. I showed him how at higher magnifications,the exit pupil will be smaller making eye alinement more critical. What scope,and if it's a variable,what power setting are you using?

My scope is a NF 5.5x22x50. The rings and base are Seekings. Rifle is a Remington 700 5r stainless steel barrel and harris bipod. I was looking through the scope at 100 yards set on 22. Actually the targets were kinda blurry. These were about 3" diameter. Couldn't make out the crosshairs on them. I didn't think about the exit pupil.

The stock is too short. If I pull it into my shoulder pocket, place my hand on the palm swell, I can just about put my trigger finger through the guard to the last knuckle. On the pad of the first digit, I can't get a good grip on the palm swell. There's a new stock on the way. A H&S adjustable butt and cheek piece from Brownelles. Hopefully that will solve some of the problem.

I'm new to all this(rifles and scopes)and really want to become good at it. I'll try to post some pix later. It may take a while though. Technology challenged.

quote=BasraBoy]Sounds like your head is in the wrong place..... ;-))[/quote] I've been accused of that more than once.

thanks to all

mike

With the NF Having a 50mm objective on it. Your rings need to be taller. Which makes your cheek weld higher.
What might be happenening is you get what you think is a proper weld then your sub conscious takes over and tells your brain this is not right so then you start hugging the stock more which might be bringing your head down tighter which blacks out the scope.

I recently bought the same scope. I had to add a 3/4 pad to raise my head for a proper Cheek Weld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tinman52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock is too short.

quote=BasraBoy]Sounds like your head is in the wrong place..... ;-))</div></div> I've been accused of that more than once.

mike[/quote]

Mike, sounds like you need to make sure whatever stock/rings you get, that it all fits your frame/arms, or has the necessary ajustments (cheekpiece, butt spacers) so your head will be in the right place when in position.

Good luck with it!