• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Eye RX question

lostangel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
El Campo, TX
www.inamorato.net
To start off with. My eyesight is horrible. Type 1 diabetic, had several eye surgeries, laser procedure, etc.

My question is
What script should I get? Near or far? Bifocle?

I have a Schmidt and Bender 5-25X56 on order. Should I get near vision corrected to focus on the reticle and let the scope take care of the long distance, or get the long range vision corrected and have a fuzzy reticle?

PS I have a eye appointment tomorrow, just a checkup to make sure my diabetis (sp) isn't messing with my vision any more than before.

Thanks
Patrick

Re: Eye RX question

Get an eye exam. Then spend the extra $$$ and get high index HD lens no line (progressive) bi-focals (or whatever the doc orders). You can have the BFs placed lower or higher depending on "your" preferred sight picture. Personally I have my BF placed lower in my glasses and only use them for reading - not shooting ...

Doc,
Problem with that is that, with all the laser surgery I have had, and the 2 vitrectomy's (sp) in each eye, sunshine is a killer.

Bright light is painful. I was going to get a pair of shooting glasses and another pair of indoor/work glasses.

Thanks
Patrick

Well, since you have added that, then I would see if someone offers a Rubber Rifle Scope Ocular Recoil Eye Protector (or something similar) for your new S&B and if you still have too much light get a sunshade and/or filter ....

Or get a BSA so the bright sight picture won't bother you so much!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry I know that doesn't add anything, but I'm a young guy with bad eyes and like to make light of it.

I am not that old. I will be 38 this year. Just been diabetic since 13 months and didn't care for myself when I was younger like I should have. Ordinarily hindsight is 20/20, but in my case it's like 35/40

Yeah, I'm 23 and I haven't been able to read the 'Big E' on the eye chart for at least 8 years, and my eyes have gotten worse since then. My eyes are at least healthy, I am thankful for that and I'm looking into corrective surgery sometime in the next few years once I find gainful employment.

Lostangel,

Dont' know how far you are from the metroplex but I can recommend Dr. Harrell with Texas State Optical (TSO), in Lewisville, Texas. I am extremely near sighted (-8.5). Dr. Harrell worked with me extensively, even let me bring in guns to try in his shop with different types of correction. I'm right eye dominant and shoot right eyed. I found what works best for me was far distance (full correction) in my left eye and slightly less than full correction in my shooting eye (-7.0), also used for reading without bifocals.

This brings my pistol and open rifle sights into perfect clarity with the target fuzzy, just like we teach all shooters. I've been running this arrangement for about a year now and the longer I go, the less I notice the difference between my eyes. The brain learns to look far with one eye and read with the other. For scope shooting, it just requires a small diopter or focus adjustment.

Dr. Harrell even fitted me with perscription shooting glasses where the right eye is adjusted the other -1.5. However, the longer I go with this arrangement, the less I seem to need that other -1.5. Couldn't be happier.

I realize your vision issues are way more complicated than mine. Just tryin to help.

Actually, what Rookie is talking about is a common practice in the eye world. My Dad had eye surgery and they corrected his eyes differently (one near and one far) and his eyes and brain picked it up as even so he sees well that way.

The nearer your presecription, the better. When you set your adjustment for the reticle and lock it into place, your eye should pick it up and the magnified target so you see them on the same plane. You should difinitely have your reticle in focus and allow the scope to do its job.

Good Luck