• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eyebox parameters

Tacovrd

But it's a dry heat......
Minuteman
  • Mar 21, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    Had the opportunity to get behind several scopes this weekend in the 5-25 range. Scopes included a NF ATACR 5-25, Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27, Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 all set to 25x.

In terms of resolution and clarity, I'd have to give a very slight edge to the Leupold followed by the NF and then the Razor. One of the things that struck me the most though was eyebox. The NF and Vortex were very easy to get behind but the Leupold was very finicky with a seemingly tight eyebox.

Anyone have feedback on some scopes that have a reputation for having a very forgiving eyebox in the 5-25 range (specifically interested in scopes not looked through here so Kahles 5-25, Minox ZP 5-25 and any others that can be had in the 2000-3000 range ie. not ZCO or TT)

Eye relief and exit pupil are the two objective parameters that can be used to define "eyebox".

Eye relief is in the scopes spec sheet. Exit pupil is objective lens diameter/magnification.

Like most everyone will tell you, this is a pretty subjective topic. Much like glass quality and clarity, each individual will have slightly different experiences with each optic

With that said, to me anyway, my K525i has a very forgiving eyebox. I know some will disagree but when I compared it to a ZCO, I found the Kahles to be better in that department. I honestly could not draw a distinction between the K525i and one of my Tangent's without going to the range and comparing them directly.

Schmidt and Benders 5-25's can be found on the used market in that price range as well have decent eyeboxes. Not as good as the Kahles IMO but very doable. The downside of these may be the tunneling effect that they have at lower magnifications.

CM

Reactions: Tacovrd