• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-16 the new countersniper weapon?

Re: F-16 the new countersniper weapon?

Interesting read, thanks for posting it I enjoyed reading it and also the comments at the end.

It seems like they were just marksmen and didn't have much field operation experience, I'm surprised they were so easy to locate and blow to hell but maybe the article doesn't tell the whole story.

That spells it out a bit better. I'm just an armchair tactician, no field experience or service, but it would seem his mistake was not relocating or disengaging prior to his position being identified. Had he not stuck around for the 2nd shot he might have successfully escaped and re-engaged at another time instead of being blown to pieces by a 500lb bomb.

Fortunately our marines are some bad ass mf's and they knew how to deal with that problem before more casualties piled up.

In this war with the enemy's common tactics being hit and runs, suicide bombings, and chicken shit IEDs, sniper shots not only really stand out but also bring the full wrath of the coalition forces. I'm pretty confident that hunting these guys down was at or near priority #1 for the units in that area.

I agree with you that their combat tactics themselves were not up to snuff by western standards, but serious marksmanship skills on their side is rare and something only encountered a few times a year. Lets just hope they don't find a team that really knows what they're doing. Living in an area full of IEDs sucks bad enough as it is, but snipers bring in a multiple of 10 to that level of suck.

Marksmen or Taliban - they were getting hits - and I believe you have to respect that (Not like, just respect).

But they are not trained as ours our and thisis the end result.

If the SHTF here in the states that would be a lot of us - you cannot hide from FLIR - and I bet that's what the SF were using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marksmen or Taliban - they were getting hits - and I believe you have to respect that (Not like, just respect).

But they are not trained as ours our and thisis the end result.

If the SHTF here in the states that would be a lot of us - you cannot hide from FLIR - and I bet that's what the SF were using. </div></div>

FLIR is roughly line of sight, so its not too hard to hide from. Loopholes, dense cover or foliage, caves, should all help defeat FLIR. And even with just one shot and bugging out, it would be hard to get a FLIR on you in time to ID and call in the jets.

If the SHTF here in the states... I would hope to god that the boys piloting the jets would have enough sense to know what side to be on. Same goes for all our armed forced. I have a (perhaps naive) thought in my head that most guys I've met from the military would be uncomfortable gunning down fellow Americans.

Also jets can be effective against a few isolated marksmen, but if there were dozens or hundreds all over the place it would not be as effective due to the expense and availability of the jets. Even in the scenario as it was reported, you could argue that the Taliban got 3 hits in 4 shots, very cost effective indeed. We scrambled a pair of fighter jets and deployed a 500lb bomb to get two kills. If that cost ratio were extended into a more serious engagement it would eventually become a losing proposition for the side with the superior technology simply due to logistics and cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also jets can be effective against a few isolated marksmen, but if there were dozens or hundreds all over the place it would not be as effective due to the expense and availability of the jets. Even in the scenario as it was reported, you could argue that the Taliban got 3 hits in 4 shots, very cost effective indeed. We scrambled a pair of fighter jets and deployed a 500lb bomb to get two kills. If that cost ratio were extended into a more serious engagement it would eventually become a losing proposition for the side with the superior technology simply due to logistics and cost.

</div></div>
Agreed, but the cost effectiveness of air-power including UAVs. Is that if it saves one life or if it reduces the risk of injury or death of a allied troop. Its cost effective. I.E. one Taliban life ain't worth a ounce of pig shit. A allied life... call in the air!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redmanss, TN? What part?
Afghanistan, you near any of the 744th EOD crew?</div></div>
Knoxville. Moved there 3 years ago but haven't gotten out very much to the ranges in that time. I'm a contractor now based in the capital after spending the last year+ down south. Don't know that specific EOD crew as fortunately I haven't had to call them out for a couple months... All I know about EOD is if I see them running, I had better catch up to them!

Interesting read, thanks for posting. The articles remind me of a first-hand account I read of a British soldier during the First World War. I'm sorry, I forgot the name of the book (maybe "A Rifleman Goes to War"). At any rate, the narrator, commenting on German snipers, said the surest way to get rid of them was to saturate the suspected area with 3" Stokes mortar rounds or 18 pounder shells. Certainly less precise but along the same lines I suppose.