• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-class Field Precision Rifle (FPR) - Louisiana

Ritten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2007
Houma, Louisiana
The F-Class Field Precision Rifle matches will officially kickoff on March 12, 2011. They will continue to be held on the second Saturday of the month at Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club in Donaldsonville. Registration will begin at 7:30 AM and close at 8:00 AM. First rounds down range at 8:30 AM. Cost is $15 and prizes will be awarded by class.

Directions-
http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/directions.htm

If you have any questions, you can email me at [email protected] or call me (Ted T.) at 985-665-7961. Also Rick Stewart, 225-301-1615 is available for questions. He and I are the Match Directors. Below are the rules:

F-Class Field Precision Rifle (FPR) –
A. A rifle restricted to a bore diameter no larger than .35 caliber.

B. Barrel length is limited to 26” measured from forward edge of recoil lug to crown of barrel.

C. Repeater style actions only ( blind or detachable magazines).

D. Rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly attached to the rifles forend. Bipod must be folding leg design commercially manufactured and will be included in rifles overall weight.

E. Sight magnification will be restricted to 25 power maximum. Higher power magnification optics are allowed, but must be kept to no higher than 25x. It will be checked on the line. Maximum weight including all attachments is 16.5 pounds. No minimum power optics will be required, but you will be shooting 600 yards, so keep that in mind.

F. No portion of the rifles butt or pistol grip may rest on the ground or any hard surface. Class A- No rear bags or mono-pods allowed. Must be supported in rear by competitors body e.g. fist bare or gloved and or shoulder. Class B- A rear bag will be allowed for shooting.

G. Muzzlebrakes will be allowed as long as they do not become a nuisance to other shooters.

H. Legal silencers are allowed and will not be included in barrel maximum length.

Course of Fire:
All shooting is done from prone position. Each shooter will fire 3 x 20 round strings at 600yards. A maximum of four sighting shots can be used during the first string (if a competitor is not on target within the sighters they will not be allowed to continue fire. This is a safety issue so everyone should be prepared before the match with the proper come ups.) Second and third strings will allow a maximum of 2 sighting shots. Squadding will be a conventional three relay rotation. All shooters will be required to score and perform pit duties.

600 yards: 4 sighters in 4 minutes time limit on MR-1FC target

1. 20 shots 20 minutes on MR-1FC (MR-1 Conventional)Target 600 yards for record

600 yards: 2 sighters in 2 minutes time limit on MR-1FC target

2. 20 shots 20 minutes on MR-1FC (MR-1 Conventional)Target 600 yards for record

600 yards: 2 sighters in 2 minutes time limit on MR-1FC target

3. 20 shots 20 minutes on MR-1FC (MR-1 Conventional)Target 600 yards for record

4. Aggregate is score of match 1, 2, & 3

Re: F-class Field Precision Rifle (FPR) - Louisiana

We'll cut it off at 50, but other than the regional and state mid-range championships we've never had that many at a match. Typically we have between 15-20 shooters at the monthly F-class matches. We're hoping to have the same amount for the first FPR match as well.

Bump....this match is this weekend. Looks like it will be beautiful weather!

Ritten,

Good luck with the new format. Let me know how it goes.

We have our 1st FPR match this weekend as well.

Saturday is 4 man teams, and Sunday is ind.

We have simplified it to get more shooters on the line.

FPR Open - hot rods
FPR Limited 308win 155s are for now.

Im going, my first match and will be first time shooting that far with anything other than an acog. Should be a fun time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ritten,

Good luck with the new format. Let me know how it goes.

We have our 1st FPR match this weekend as well.

Saturday is 4 man teams, and Sunday is ind.

We have simplified it to get more shooters on the line.

FPR Open - hot rods
FPR Limited 308win 155s are for now. </div></div>

Awesome! We're hoping to have enough people interested to open it up like that. We'll find out soon enough.

will palo alto allow us to hold steel matches along with the f/pr matches? If so I will be glad to help you plan a few steel matches lol

edit: also count me in for the next fpr match

A few of the other match directors, members, and myself have been pushing the club to allow us to shoot steel on the rifle range, but due to some issues they had years ago with ricochets from steel pistol matches falling on the High Power shooters on other parts of the range the club directors outlawed steel completely. Right now I'd be pleased if we could get a trap approved for a steel gong at 600yds, but I don't see them allowing an open steel match anytime soon.

At the moment, paper will have to suffice.

ouch, I might be able to help you out.

my local range needed new targets so I am writing a powerpoint on the benefits of AR500 targets and proper use of these targets.

mainly focusing on the reduction of ricochets due to the lack of pitting of the steel, the deflection of splatter due to the angling of the target, and the cost benefits of the targets themselves.

I am assuming the pistol targets they were using were mild steel? If so the argument can be made that AR500 when used at a distance with rifles only will negate any possible chance of a ricochet.

I could send you a copy of the paper and presentation when i am done if you would like.

either way i'm still down for the next match lol

I'm interested in this. This is a little different format than what we typically run over here.

At Palo Alto if you can call wind then you can do pretty damn good even with a crappy load! See ya Saturday!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At Palo Alto if you can call wind then you can do pretty damn good even with a crappy load! See ya Saturday! </div></div>
A Typical Palo day- Flags identifying 5 differnt conditions at once.
045.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At Palo Alto if you can call wind then you can do pretty damn good even with a crappy load! See ya Saturday! </div></div>
045.jpg
</div></div>

There's a recipe for schitzophrenia right there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At Palo Alto if you can call wind then you can do pretty damn good even with a crappy load! See ya Saturday! </div></div>
045.jpg
</div></div>

There's a recipe for schitzophrenia right there... </div></div>

It will have you scratching your head sometimes.
smile.gif

There is simple trick for reading wind at Palo Alto - I have no idea what it is, but I am sure there is a simple trick.
wink.gif

I loved the match, this was my first long range match, and the wind had my mind boggled, but, I figured it out, make sure who ever is pulling your target does it fast! and shoot faster!!:) thanks Ted and Kelly, this is who taught me, they both worked me hard in the pits, as soon as I sent it up, they would break the shot. Okay, now to brag a little, shooting a DPMS 308 prone, bi-pod with no rear bag , 533-9x's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kz45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved the match, this was my first long range match, and the wind had my mind boggled, but, I figured it out, make sure who ever is pulling your target does it fast! and shoot faster!!:) thanks Ted and Kelly, this is who taught me, they both worked me hard in the pits, as soon as I sent it up, they would break the shot. Okay, now to brag a little, shooting a DPMS 308 prone, bi-pod with no rear bag , 533-9x's </div></div>

And took 2nd in your division. Good shooting, Joe!

WHEW.....what a great match we had! 12 competitors braved the mild 60 degree temperatures and abundant sunshine to try their hand at the new Field Precision Rifle competition today at Palo Alto. We had a few guys amongst the group who have never shot 600yds before, but with a little coaching and advice from xmeister they were ringing the 10 ring in no time. Everything went smoothly with some good pit work, good scoring, and first class match directors. hehe
IMG_0684.jpg

kz45 getting his gear ready and lining up before his relay...
IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

Our own retired TV celebrity....saxmanson, tries his hand shooting in the Palo Alto winds.
IMG_0687.jpg

Some pictures of a few of the other competitors. Sorry if I didn't catch your screen names guys, but I forget my own half the time.
IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

I feel that with the success of today's match this is going to be something that catches on fast. The guys shooting blind magazines seemed to feel the restriction of not being able to load and shoot as fast and those who were pushing AR's and DBM bolt actions were able to concentrate on wind and changing conditions more. All in all I think everyone had a great time and we're all greatly looking forward to next month!!

Fun match, did better than I expected. Nice meeting a lot of the people from this forum and the local forum. I think Im going to try without a rear bag next time. 1kx45 and Ritten, it was good shooting with yall. This was my first match and with Lanny and Rittens help I was on target with my second shot.

With the wind, the guys with mags definitely had an advantage, I need to get a dbm for my rifle.

Hopefully, the few that came and watched will bring a gun next time.

Great match -- a lot of fun! Kudos to RStewart and Ritten for organizing it! Hope to see more participants next month.

It was a great day for a match. Glad to see so many new people out to shoot. I had a great time practicing with my service rifle. Those score rings sure are small
smile.gif

1st pic of unknown shooters is my lanky ass lol. I look bad in shorts
wink.gif

BTW i'll be ready for the next match. hoping to do a little better but it was fun none the less

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st pic of unknown shooters is my lanky ass lol. I look bad in shorts
wink.gif

BTW i'll be ready for the next match. hoping to do a little better but it was fun none the less </div></div>

It was good to meet you man! See you out on the line next month.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made the first match a success. See you next month.

I have been practicing for this! Someday... Someday... You guys look great! It must've been intense and fun! Can't wait for my first match!

You should just go shoot a match. This was my first match and everyone was willing to help as much as possible. On target with my second shot, and in the 9 ring with me last sighter.

You could always just go watch and help in the pits, my friend did this and had a blast also.

Getting my DBM installed right now! Will hopefully be down from the West Monroe area for the May match as that's the first that coincides with my work schedule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting my DBM installed right now! Will hopefully be down from the West Monroe area for the May match as that's the first that coincides with my work schedule. </div></div>

Look forward to meeting you then.
Rick