• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-Class Instruction.

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Is there a good "Intro" instructor for F-Class? I could use some specific instruction there as F-Class is more popular than PRS/NRL in my locale (And why not shoot both). Getting tips from the local gang and while not super impressive, I can get 190s at 1k but thats early morning with very little wind and off a bipod instead of superman rest in the wind. Still I think there is a lot for me to learn (oh and of course, got a build new rifle ;) )

Been to a basics class with HMFIC and may find RifleKraft or RO class (No offense to Frank and Mark--class was awesome, I like to try different folks) just to keep building, but also look for comp specific instruction.

First, FTR is 308 or 223 with a bipod with no bullet restriction. Any other cal is F Open with a front rest. You can still use a bipod, but you will be at a slight disadvantage.
Once you have a rifle that groups inside 1/2 min minimum ( 1/ 4 is better) you are ready for a mentor. Rifle handling, trigger control and learning to dope the bullet you are using can be a long time to get a handle on.
Go to your local matches and ask questions and observe. Ask for help. Most F class shooters are glad to help.
You have a long (or short) enjoyable journey ahead, enjoy.
A lot get obsessed with bc and velocity. Learn your bullet, you'll win.
Best I've ever found is practice sessions where you put the prevailing dope on the gun, shoot the shot, wait 5 minutes, dope the wind, rinse and repeat. Hold offs and level work well.
Alan

I shot a great deal of F TR Matches including on two separate USA Teams.

In Phoenix they used to have a basic class on 1000 yard shooting and wind reading. Don’t know if they still do it or not. Contact Ben Avery and see

A great way to learn is to get basic rifle and go to local matches As long as you have good basic rifle instruction already it’s learning wind reading etc on the range

Pick a good bullet and stick with it until you know what the wind does to
It If your going FTR stick with 308
600 and less no reason to shoot anything over 185 grain bullet weight. I ran 155.5 Berger’s in 2009 Worlds and did damm well but these days 200’s rule at 1000 yards

If you get serious have Al Warner build you a rifle

I shot FTR a while ago, but had to put it on hold while kids and family life took priority. Before I got into it, I got caught up in trying to make sure I had everything perfect before I shot a match. At some point, a friend and I went to a practice session we were told about. Without realizing how mild the winds were, I shot quite well. So I decided to shoot a match.
I showed up, the wind showed up, multiple gear issues... it was nothing like I had hoped for, but I learned a lot. So unless you have actual issues with your shooting fundamentals, forget about instructors and just go shoot. What you will bring back from each match will likely be far more valuable than coaching sessions. I would also recommend starting with mid-range(600 yd). I personally have set shooting long range(1000 yd) as my reward for cleaning a target at 600. Shot 3 seasons and never left the 600 targets, but no point in getting frustrated at 1000.

Appreciate the insight. I'll keep plugging away at local matches. I think tuning my load is next--I get some fliers now and then vertical--thought I killed them with updated reloading, but its a journey..